Save States

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Save States

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Great conversation.

I use save states from time-to-time:

(1) I sometimes use them on games with really long, cumbersome passwords, like Faxanadu.

(2) I use them on really long games that should have passwords or a save feature, but don’t, such as Blaster Master, Rygar, etc. St this point in my life, I just don’t have the time to get through a game like that in one sitting.

(3) I use them as a redundant back up/save feature in some longer games. (Nothing says “fun” like losing level grinding in PSIII because you didn’t quit out of the game the right way on the PSP Sega Genesis Collection...)

(4) Very rarely, I will use them for “content tourism” purposes. There are some bad, difficult games that I’d like to beat, but their generally broken nature means beating them legitimately is going to take a really long time and be a miserable experience. I will use save states to get through those, and when I do that, I indicate that I’ve done so in the “games beaten” thread.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

^ Literally what I do as well. You love to see it.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Great conversation.

I use save states from time-to-time:

(1) I sometimes use them on games with really long, cumbersome passwords, like Faxanadu.

(2) I use them on really long games that should have passwords or a save feature, but don’t, such as Blaster Master, Rygar, etc. St this point in my life, I just don’t have the time to get through a game like that in one sitting.
d.

1. do you use them on games with short passwords as well? I'm at the point where I just refuse to write down passwords so even games with 4 character passwords I will use save states on.

2. So many good examples of this, definitely agree on Blaster Master and Rygar, some other notable titles I would add
-Bionic Commando
-Adv island 1-3
-Mario 1-3 (if playing without warps)
-ghosts n goblins (and respectively the SNES and genesis versions)

I'm sure there are tons more that I'm not thinking about right now, its amazing how many old nes games expected you to sit for hours and just play through these games in one sitting.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

pook99 wrote:1. do you use them on games with short passwords as well? I'm at the point where I just refuse to write down passwords so even games with 4 character passwords I will use save states on.

I don’t really use them for short passwords. I am more likely to write those down or just look them up online. Occasionally, for both long and short passwords, I take a picture with my phone and, when I restart the game, enter the password from the picture. New technology helping me beat old games!
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
pook99 wrote:1. do you use them on games with short passwords as well? I'm at the point where I just refuse to write down passwords so even games with 4 character passwords I will use save states on.

I don’t really use them for short passwords. I am more likely to write those down or just look them up online. Occasionally, for both long and short passwords, I take a picture with my phone and, when I restart the game, enter the password from the picture. New technology helping me beat old games!

I've done that a small handful of times, I also use my phone to take screenshots of hints and in game passwords when I'm playing more obtuse old games.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I never use save states. It feels wrong to me. However, I do take photos of password screens all the time. I'm all about that.