Japanese versions of Horror games

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Japanese versions of Horror games

Post by Dikdikvandik »

There will come a day where I'm really going to need to go through Silent Hill 1 and 2 and play Resident Evil in it's Biohazhard form.
Among a few other games.

Slight problem. My PS2 and Saturn are Japanese systems and I'm pretty Japanese illiterate.I can speak and understand some Japanese but not read it. But the Japanese versions of these games are also pretty cheap compared to their American counter parts. I don't know if anybody here can answer this, but how English friendly are the Japanese versions of these games?
Silent Hill 2 I can just get the Original XBOX version of, but a Japanese PS2 copy is the most affordable way to play it.

That generation was when Survival horror was at it's best, But I'm stuck with the Nihongo if I want to play them.

Oh and I checked Rule of Rose is still stupid expensive if you buy it from Japan.
opa
128-bit

Re: Japanese versions of Horror games

Post by opa »

According to 9 year-old message board posts you may be able to import Silent Hill 2 and 3. I do personally remember that the North American version of Silent Hill 2 on ps2 allows for multiple languages; including Japanese. I would assume they used the same disc data for all regions by that point.

As far as Silent Hill 1 goes... I don't know. I've actually considered getting an import myself just for the novelty but the few youtube videos I've found don't show swapping languages. Are you in North America? It's $6 for a PS3 download; about 15% the price of a disc.

edit: And I just checked my copy of the NA Silent Hill and it doesn't have language options.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I know that Biohazard has the same English voice acting as Resident Evil, so it should largely still be playable. But it won't be nearly as solid an experience since you'd miss out on all the files/memos; I think this would make some puzzles much tougher too.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

I'll probably skip Silent Hill 3 and 4, that's when Konami Meddling took over.

1 and 2 I can play a few ways, I am NOT getting the HD Collection. I could get it on PSN I do have a PS3 and still use it.
Importing the Japanese versions IF English friendly is the most economical and fitting for what I'm currently collecting.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

You might be able to get some real-time translation going if you set things up correctly.
You can use the translation app on a phone or tablet with subtitles enabled for some not-too-inaccurate realtime translation. I've used a tripod phone holder before and it was mostly okay to get what I needed done.
Maybe try a program called ztranslate on an emulation/pc version if your PC is rather beefy.
https://ztranslate.net/
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage