Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Dikdikvandik
24-bit

If a New MGS was to be made, who would you want in charge?

by Dikdikvandik Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:42 am

With Kojima off making weird shit again and Konami wanting that sweet Video game money again apparently,
a friend and I got talking about who could take up the mantle for a potential MGS6.

Two names

Suda 51 and Yoko Taro.

Suda 51 gets his MGS nomination based on Killer 7 being weird, and No More Heroes and it's sense of humor.

Yoko Taro gets his MGS Nomination...well HAVE YOU PLAYED NEIR AUTOMATA? You're basically playing as the MGS4 bosses anyway.
You have philosophical themes, displaced Loyalties, A ton of humor, weird genre melding. Based on Nier Automata alone, Yoko Taro would be absolutely perfect to take up the MGS Mantle for at least one game.

Only thing is MGS4 wrapped up the Saga perfectly and MGS5 basically ended up being a filler story. Only real possibility for MGS6 is Raiden and Sonny.
MGS6 with Sonny as the Protagonist helmed by Yoko Taro?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: If a New MGS was to be made, who would you want in charg

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:44 am

I'd tell Konami to get the fuck over itself and give Kojima whatever he wants.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:55 am

No one. Let this series die peacefully.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:57 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:No one. Let this series die peacefully.

Game companies don't know how to do this. Look what they did to Medal of Honor.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:04 am

I see that someone already said Suda 51; so, I’ll go with:

Michel Ancel - Solid Snake, rendered in bright water colors, runs around slapping people and hiding in boxes while “The Theme from Peter Gunn” performed by a mariachi band plays in the background.

Jordan Mechner - a slow-moving, side scrolling, MGS with rotoscoped animation. No music; very slow combat; and lots and lots of instant death traps. You can only hide by hanging from ledges, and you can beat the game in less than an hour.

Richard Garriot - an open-world MGS with an arcane stats system and olde English dialogue. “Wherefore art thou, Solid Snake?”

John Romero - a first-person MGS with a heavy-metal soundtrack where you run around Outer Heaven with an enormous gun killing everything that moves. In this MGS, the enemy soldiers hide from YOU!!!

Koji Igarishi - a new entry in the MGS saga that takes Solid Snake back to an overly-stylized version of 18th century Europe. The final product goes way over-budget, never comes out for the Wii U, and is filled with bugs. The 8-bit de-make version ends up being the better game.

Al Lowe - Solid Snake, home from the battlefront, dons his white leisure suit and heads into town looking for love. Hilarity(?) ensues.

Sid Meier - Solidus Snake has been elected the mayor of an unnamed, mid-western City, and...it’s just a new version of Sim-City, OK?!
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:01 pm

I would generally agree with the sentiment of just letting the IP be - there are certainly routes to continue milking the namesake, like a "Future Ops" series starting with Raiden and Sunny...but even then, change their names in Rising and you lose almost nothing other than any real connection to the MGS universe.

That said, having fun with hypotheticals...lets go with that :lol:

I think it's sort of hard to transfer over, because as much as auteur video game directors are a bit of a rarity, there are even fewer that are as comprehensive as Kojima ended up being. Figure, sure, he had the manga military shenanigans of the narrative - and you can find others like that - but he also pushed on technology and open (if not creative) gameplay as well. To a point, it makes MGS a bit of a product of its time - far fewer studios roll their own engines anymore, and Kojima isn't anymore as Death Stranding is using the engine from Horizon: Zero Dawn.

There's also the notion of what style game you'd look at, as Metal Gear as an IP basically wrapped up the linear, super cinematic style, with MGS4 giving it a grand sendoff. Folks like Naughty Dog do that exceptionally well these days. The Tactical Espionage Operations model, on the other hand, is better represented by others, and is probably the more logical route a new title would take.
I think ideally we might have seen Konami purchase IO Interactive when Square-Enix was offloading them. The direction that the Hitman games have taken expands on the mission-oriented, sandbox-ey gameplay that the more modern MGS titles have aspired to. While I'm not sure how well their engine does with environments on the scale of what MGSV has, it's already great for the sort of areas that missions are actually set in. At the very least, this is the tech that'd make sense to me for them to use.

Take that, and bring it to maybe one of two or three studios/people. I suspect that Frictional Games could do something interesting - Thomas Grip probably being the point person if you need one. SOMA was a good indicator that they'd go interesting places with a high(er) tech settng, like a grown-up Sunny based game would have. Alternatively (or collaboratively), Corey Davis has done some great, suitable narrative work in Spec Ops: The Line particularly. Or you could go for the more known name and maybe have Ken Levine do it...it just might never ship. 8)
Dikdikvandik
24-bit

by Dikdikvandik Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:48 pm

How about Shinji MIkami?

Vanquish could be retrofitted into the Metal Gear-i-verse. I think his style suits MGS as well.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:23 pm

If they were to do a follow-up to Metal Gear Rising, sure. Easy enough there, they can just have Platinum Games make it (again) - which is more or less where I think they'd left it at the time.
Shifting a "main series" entry to that style may not work though. Keying off of that for what the MGS world looks like post-MGS4 gives them plenty to work with, especially since some of it was already started in MGS2. Gets into the realm of Deus Ex, GiTS, Gunm, etc for augmentation and controlled realities for brains-in-a-box... so, a lot of material to work with that'd be in the wheelhouse of the folks I mentioned. If the point is just to use that as a way to generate a bunch of non-human enemies that are okay to shred to pieces (a la Rising) then that's one thing, but a more nuanced story might require a different turn.
marurun

by marurun Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:29 pm

Atlus should make it. Tap the team that made Maken X. Make it as weird as possible.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:01 pm

marurun wrote:Atlus should make it. Tap the team that made Maken X. Make it as weird as possible.

Idk man, if you want weird, I think you want Suda.

Return to General Gaming