Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Re: The best worst upscale unit?

by Dikdikvandik Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:02 pm

I didn't think of lag either and since fighting games are what I'll be playing it's important.

I'm also planning on getting the pricey Saturn port of SOTN which also has funky resolution changes. If I'm spending all that money on a game getting very expensive I'd better make sure what I run it on is ok.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:40 am

Dikdikvandik wrote:Does the portta retain 4:3? My TV can't Force 4:3.

Are you using a Vizio? Asking because they're extremely common & I have 3 different models.

I thought this as well, but they can force 4:3... only in 480p when over HDMI though. 720p & 1080i/p are locked at 16:9. All 3 of mine allow 480p over HDMI to be adjusted.

This recently sent me down a path... rabbit hole... looking for cheaper HDMI converters that all you to pick output resolutions. If you can adjust converter to 480p, you can then force to 4:3 at the TV level.

Just a thought. Even if not a Vizio, I'd try forcing another source to 480p (such as a BD/DVD player or xbox 360) & see if your set allows adjustments then.
marurun

by marurun Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:52 am

The Saturn SoTN doesn't change the resolution a lot. It just uses a different resolution than the PS1, and thus the graphics are resized a bit chunky.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:01 am

I can’t remember if it actually shifts the output resolution mode, but going into the menu causes the framemeister to renegotiate its output. I do believe the menus are rendered in the high resolution mode, though.

Ziggy, I know that if you had Chrono Cross, that would switch from 240p to 480i any time you go into the menus there, too.

I don’t tend to have much of a problem with this in general. Sure, it’s annoying, but I’ve played through both Saturn SotN, and CC on my framemeister.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:50 pm

marurun wrote:The Saturn SoTN doesn't change the resolution a lot. It just uses a different resolution than the PS1, and thus the graphics are resized a bit chunky.

It changes resolution when you hit start to enter the in game menu. Since the Saturn controller doesn't have as many buttons as PS1, you have to go into the menu and press L to view the map. So the resolution changes when you go into the menu, then changes back when you view the map (since it's overlayed over the game), then changes back again when you exit the menu back to the map, then changes again when you exit the menu back to the game. It makes the game unplayable with something like the Framemeister .
marurun

by marurun Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:31 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:
marurun wrote:The Saturn SoTN doesn't change the resolution a lot. It just uses a different resolution than the PS1, and thus the graphics are resized a bit chunky.

It changes resolution when you hit start to enter the in game menu. Since the Saturn controller doesn't have as many buttons as PS1, you have to go into the menu and press L to view the map. So the resolution changes when you go into the menu, then changes back when you view the map (since it's overlayed over the game), then changes back again when you exit the menu back to the map, then changes again when you exit the menu back to the game. It makes the game unplayable with something like the Framemeister .

I did not realize the menu switched resolutions. I've never tried to use my Saturn on a non-Tube TV. I am now edumacated.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

by Dikdikvandik Sat Aug 31, 2019 1:08 pm

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:27 pm

Dikdikvandik wrote:Seems we have a solution

https://github.com/ramapcsx2/gbs-control

My Life in Gaming covered the GBS 8200 in this video at 12:45 mark. Have you seen this:

https://youtu.be/lHoOKLWIMKU

Haven't dug into the github link too much to see if it's same or a derivative of the same line up, but wanted to share. Immediately stuck out to me bc your link is only the 2nd time I've seen the GBS ever referenced. 1st was MLiG vid above. Seems to fly under the radar a bit.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:08 pm

I wouldn't classify this as an upscaler... it essentially passes through the signal from component to HDMI in the same resolution but that could be useful in many ways. I'm particularly thinking about PS2 & oXbox. Lots of Wii users in questions & reviews. For $21 I'm tempted. As stated, my Vizios only allow forcing 4:3 at 480p over HDMI. Need to test if 480i over HDMI is supported at all. I looked at 20+ devices on Amazon. Hope this saves someone some time.

Volantech Component YPbPr RGB to HDMI 4K Converter V1.4 Support PS3, DVD to HDTV https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077XS61S2/re ... BDbH0YMTDK
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

by Dikdikvandik Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:00 am

Jagosaurus wrote:
Dikdikvandik wrote:Does the portta retain 4:3? My TV can't Force 4:3.

Are you using a Vizio? Asking because they're extremely common & I have 3 different models. .

Indeed , a 2016 model
Return to General Gaming