Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Dikdikvandik
24-bit

The best worst upscale unit?

by Dikdikvandik Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:25 am

I'm not talking about the Retrotink, OSSC or Framemiester.

I'm talking about those cheap things on AMAZON that just thinks everything is 480i.

Because the OSSC,Framemiester and Retrotink all hiccup (or in the Framemiester's case break into convulsions and pass out) at resolution changes.) I think I need something to pump my Saturn and PS1 into as a secondary scaler for the games that do this. But there's a lot of crap A LOT of it. Stuff that won't show 4:3 as 4:3, Stuff that distorts the image no matter how good the signal. There's gotta be something decent among these cheap units.

Right?

RIGHT?
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

Re: The best worst upscale unit?

by Ziggy587 Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:04 am

My Life In Gaming would probably be the best people to ask.

Note that a lot of these units might have different casing or branding but a lot of them are are clones of the same thing.
Dikdikvandik
24-bit

by Dikdikvandik Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:57 pm

I asked Retro RGB and got a non Answer.

I asked in a Framemiester/OSSC group on Facebook.....

And got a Non Answer.

PS1 is easy get a PSone and that screen.

Saturn isn't easy.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:37 pm

I bought one of these back in 2014...

https://www.amazon.com/Portta-Composite ... ref=sr_1_7?

IIRC, it definitely thought 240p was 480i. I was mainly trying out 240p sources with it. It looked about as good as straight into my TV. I stopped using it after I got a Framemeister. I didn't specifically test 240p/480i transitions, so I don't know how it performs in that respect. If I get the chance, I'll see if I can dig it out and try it with my PS1 or Saturn. I just gotta remember where I stashed it.

Is there a list somewhere of PS1 games that have the resolutions switch? I know a Saturn game off the top of my head, but my Saturn is packed up at the moment. I have access to a PS1, but I don't know any games off the top of my head.
marurun

by marurun Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:51 pm

Dead or Alive on PS1 uses the high-res mode for gameplay. Don’t know if the menu or title are high-res or standard res. Might be worth a try.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:45 pm

Don't have that one. Actually, I don't have many PS1 games.

https://backloggery.com/games.php?user= ... console=PS
Dikdikvandik
24-bit

by Dikdikvandik Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:28 pm

Does the portta retain 4:3? My TV can't Force 4:3.

With PS1 games I'm split, I have some digitally on my US PS3, a handful of US games I also play on PS3. The vast majority of my PS1 games are Japanese and played on a Japanese phat PS2 through component.

My Saturn is played through HD Retrovision cables.

The Polymega is coming...I dunno if it's with getting for maybe like 10 games or something. $150 for a component splitter, new HDMI Switch and the scaler is fine. Plus the cables.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:47 pm

I was really hoping Micomsoft would put out a successor to the Framemeister. My top 3 wants (aside from being a better scaler with 4k) would be a more user friendly way to change settings, more user friendly profiles, and solve the sync problem.

Dikdikvandik wrote:Does the portta retain 4:3? My TV can't Force 4:3.

I don't remember, I'd have to check that for you.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

by nightrnr Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:20 am

Just posting for reference because the topic interests me.

I mostly use old TV's, but always wanting to know better options for the future (have a retrotink, OSSC, and XRGB-3). Just like to be set for when/if my current screens to out. Still need more cables though (mostly SCART).

I have to believe that there is a cheap option too that works well in some circumstances.

Since it was mentioned:
Polymega sounds like a good bet for light gun games (speaking for myself), but hoping another option comes about. Was on the fence about the system, but have to pass for now.
Enjoying my MegaSD via retrovision cables on a component CRT at the moment. It is my dedicated Sega CD system now.

Sorry for the rambling...
Lag is my main concern with signal converters. That's why I tend to stay away from anything that doesn't address that feature specifically.
...just another lost soul...
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:53 am

nightrnr wrote:Lag is my main concern with signal converters.

Good point. The above cheap scaler that I mentioned, I never tested the lag on it. It "felt" OK playing platformers that I know like the back of my hand, but I never gave it a proper test. Once I dig it out to answer the questions in this thread, I'll test the input lag as well. I can use 240p Test Suite, and I can even use the non-manual test.

Return to General Gaming