Sony Playstation Resource Guide (1997) | 1-Per Retailer

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
IMJ
24-bit

Sony Playstation Resource Guide (1997) | 1-Per Retailer

Post by IMJ »

I thought I would pick the community's brain regarding this one. So this is obviously some deep-cut gaming apocrypha, but this is the kind of stuff that some gamers love, along with posters and promotional stand-ups and so on. This isn't a sale thread, but rather an advice or input thread. Here's the deal:

These were one-per store and contain some really cool information from that era of gaming. It also has Sony contact and support info, and a lot of waxy and nicely produced one-sheets for a lot of PSOne era games, including some from higher tier publishers (image below). I can only imagine that there aren't many of these left lying around at one per store in conjunction with the fact that this was industry material and not intended for consumption.

So I post some cool collection stuff on Instagram - that's my main motivation for being there, basically to share collection stuff. But after posting I had some offers for this binder, one of which was $150. But I have no reference - nothing on eBay, no sales history, nothing.

I'm happy to hear opinions on the market, or just comments in general.

Thank you fellow gamers. :)
Last edited by IMJ on Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Sony Playstation Resource Guide (1997) | 1-Per Retailer

Post by Jagosaurus »

For really specific, lesser known line items, you might want to hit the dedicated sub reddit for PS1. Seems like most of the guys from the respective system forums, PSX scene here for example, also hang out there. Keep posting here too bc I want to see this stuff 8)

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
IMJ
24-bit

Post by IMJ »

Jagosaurus wrote:For really specific, lesser known line items, you might want to hit the dedicated sub reddit for PS1. Seems like most of the guys from the respective system forums, PSX scene here for example, also hang out there. Keep posting here too bc I want to see this stuff 8)

Okay, thank you. And okay cool!
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

I don't know what the market value for something like this is but definitely be cautious of first offers. My brother is selling his huge zelda collection and he has some really obscure items for sale. He has sold things for massive amounts of money, like he sold a zelda pencil for like $200 which is insane.

I think the best thing to do is to try and do some research to see what these might be worth, if you can't find anything then go to ebay, don't list a buy it now, and let the market decide what its worth.
IMJ
24-bit

Post by IMJ »

Thank you both for the information. Just for future market reference, I have an offer on this binder for $180, USD. Honestly, it might've been worth more in open bidding, but the guy made a firm offer and he was a hardcore gamer (his collection is punctuated everywhere with rare and obscure things like this - he collects like I do), and so I just agreed and called it a win-win.

I am waiting on his payment, so it's his unless someone comes in with a crazy offer on Instagram or somewhere else and pays right away.

Poook99 - I hear you, man! I remember back in maybe 2004 or so when I was running another online store, I was selling Metal Gear Solid Kubrick figures for like $250 each, honestly. It's just what the market commands on truly obscure items. I could go into detail about weird Iron Man stuff like that all day long too - it happens in every niche of the hobby.
IMJ
24-bit

Post by IMJ »

As a final note on this, this actually sold, was paid for and shipped today, so it's no longer available. This is why I love this hobby - the hardcore collectors always dig deeper into the apocrypha and development and it really goes to show that it's a much deeper hobby than "just playing games".
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Care to share what it sold for? :D
IMJ
24-bit

Post by IMJ »

Ziggy587 wrote:Care to share what it sold for? :D

Yup, it sold for the $180 offer I mentioned above - same buyer I mentioned.

-shrugs- Would it have sold for more in open bid on the bay? Maybe, but without any sales history it was hard to gauge if that would be true.

I'm not disappointed - I think I'd have to find out that those binders were selling for magnitudes above the $180 for me to choke myself... lol!