Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
IMJ
24-bit

Backwards Compatibility - Trust the PS5 or Buy An HDMI Cable

by IMJ Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:05 pm

Back when the PS3 was new I couldn't help but feel that it was the ultimate system. It did everything - it was a media server, it played games, it streamed from apps, and it was backwards compatible. Then Sony took the BC away and that just sucked. Now they are saying that the PS5 will be backwards compatible, and quite frankly I am not sure if I trust that feature.

But I'd also like to downsize my collection to just include those games that I can toss in for fun once in a while, play and then just turn off, and so this includes not having unnecessary systems lying around.

I am a fan of Limited Run Games, and they sell their Pound Tech HDMI cables for previous systems. Seems like an easy enough choice, but I've got to say that it is a really appealing thought to load a PS2 or PS3 game into the PS5 when I want, and to be able to do it all in one system. Fundamentally though - you can never go wrong with the original hardware as opposed to some kind of emulation for a disk.

I am pretty confident that the community here are believers in just owning the old hardware, but I am curious as to how everyone feels about this.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: Backwards Compatibility - Trust the PS5 or Buy An HDMI C

by emwearz Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:19 pm

Unless I missed something the announced backwards compatibility for the PS5 is in regards to the PS4? This I don't doubt as both the PS4 and PS5 will be using the same CPU architecture, x86(x64), similar to just upgrading your PC, or as was the case in this generation, upgrading your console (PS4 Pro). They might allow PS1-PS3 backwards compatibility but I don't think it has been announced and it would be emulation.
isiolia
Next-Gen

by isiolia Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:42 pm

Yeah, Sony has thus far only announced backwards compatibility with PS4 and PSVR. PS5, and Project Scarlett for that matter, are basically just using further-upgraded AMD hardware over the current systems, so that amount of compatibility makes sense. It's always possible that Sony will incorporate emulation type features to try and feature match Microsoft (as the Xbox One's BC efforts are being applied to the next iteration too), but they haven't said anything to the effect.

I don't think there'd be a completely comprehensive single solution there. Personally, since I'd want a PS3 anyway, that fairly nicely covers PS1 as well. PS2 works fairly well over component as well, if you have hardware for it, or there are a variety of converters. From the reviews elsewhere, that particular one doesn't seem too awesome. The better solutions tend to both be expensive, and need RGB output you might need to mod in.
Reprise
Next-Gen

by Reprise Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:21 am

The pound cables aren't supposed to be particularly great. For example, the Dreamcast one has a very dark image.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation One, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo Switch, OUYA.

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Twitter: https://twitter.com/366GamesToPlay
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:11 pm

I'd probably go ahead and get cables. PS3 games are very unlikely to be emulated on PS5, even if they add more emulation than PS4.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
lwcook
128-bit

by lwcook Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:58 pm

Forlorn Drifter wrote:I'd probably go ahead and get cables. PS3 games are very unlikely to be emulated on PS5, even if they add more emulation than PS4.

Agreed. Maybe a more robust version of Playstation Now, but that will probably be the extent of it. Want to play anything obscure and you're going to need the hardware solution.
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

by Mad_Hatter Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:29 pm

emwearz wrote:Unless I missed something the announced backwards compatibility for the PS5 is in regards to the PS4? This I don't doubt as both the PS4 and PS5 will be using the same CPU architecture, x86(x64), similar to just upgrading your PC, or as was the case in this generation, upgrading your console (PS4 Pro). They might allow PS1-PS3 backwards compatibility but I don't think it has been announced and it would be emulation.

This is what I thought as well.

Being backward compatible with PS4 along with PS3/PS2 would be something though.

Anyways, I'm pretty confident that the PS5 will be backward compatible with PS4 games. From what I heard, it's like the same console but a beefier CPU. And I feel it will be released kinda prematurely. So it seems in everybody's best interest to have the PS5 able to play PS4 games.
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:00 pm

Mad_Hatter wrote:Anyways, I'm pretty confident that the PS5 will be backward compatible with PS4 games. .

PS4 BC has been officially confirmed, in case you didn't know.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
IMJ
24-bit

by IMJ Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:26 pm

Some great input in this thread, thank you.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:09 pm

Reprise wrote:The pound cables aren't supposed to be particularly great. For example, the Dreamcast one has a very dark image.

Pound cables are great for the more casual gamer because they're designed to be budget solutions, but yeah, for enthusiasts like most of us are, they're not the way to go.

For the Pound cables, it really depends on how much you're willing to compromise on AV quality and how much you'd play the older systems. If it's something like "I like to play a PS2 game every now and then," Pound is probably okay. If you play a ton of PS2, though, then you're going to want to go for a better quality but more expensive solution. If you want an HD solution, I'd honestly suggest looking into a budget PC and emulating. You can have the emulator read the game straight from the disc so avoid the ethical piracy dilemma, and USB controllers are pretty available and affordable. I'm hoping, however, that Sony sees the demand for backwards compatibility legacy emulation being DISHONESTLY PASSED OFF AS BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY and implements a solid emulator in the PS5 for the first three Playstations. Not sure how likely that is, but I'm gonna try to stay hopeful until they crush my dreams and aspirations.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Return to General Gaming