Backwards Compatibility - Trust the PS5 or Buy An HDMI Cable

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
IMJ
24-bit

Re: Backwards Compatibility - Trust the PS5 or Buy An HDMI C

Post by IMJ »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
Reprise wrote:The pound cables aren't supposed to be particularly great. For example, the Dreamcast one has a very dark image.

Pound cables are great for the more casual gamer because they're designed to be budget solutions, but yeah, for enthusiasts like most of us are, they're not the way to go.

For the Pound cables, it really depends on how much you're willing to compromise on AV quality and how much you'd play the older systems. If it's something like "I like to play a PS2 game every now and then," Pound is probably okay. If you play a ton of PS2, though, then you're going to want to go for a better quality but more expensive solution. If you want an HD solution, I'd honestly suggest looking into a budget PC and emulating. You can have the emulator read the game straight from the disc so avoid the ethical piracy dilemma, and USB controllers are pretty available and affordable. I'm hoping, however, that Sony sees the demand for backwards compatibility legacy emulation being DISHONESTLY PASSED OFF AS BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY and implements a solid emulator in the PS5 for the first three Playstations. Not sure how likely that is, but I'm gonna try to stay hopeful until they crush my dreams and aspirations.

Good input here.
Honestly, I don't have much gaming time anymore and I'm more likely to play an occasional old game that I can mess with a bit and then turn off. Civilization II on the PSOne (which I can come and go from) and some kind of cult shooter like Star Trek Encounters (don't laugh, the targeting tactics, z-axis, phase and torpedo fire are fun as hell) on the PS2, stuff like that.

I'd love to sit around and replay my Working Designs stuff too, but the odds of me spending days on Alundra and weeks on the Lunar games again is next to zero.
MrEco
Next-Gen

Re: Backwards Compatibility - Trust the PS5 or Buy An HDMI C

Post by MrEco »

I can't recommend the pound cables. I bought the same ones off of Limited Runs' website and it has terrible image quality. More grainy than my component cables and with a very distracting blue tint to the image. Not sure if it's some unique problem with those cables and my TV or what, but I tried every image setting I could and it never worked out right.
I feel old when talking to anyone my age yet too inexperienced to effectively talk to anyone older. Life is grand that way.

My twitter handle is @EckoExplores