Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
Dikdikvandik
32-bit
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:31 am

Re: The complete Mid 90s Gaming experence.

by Dikdikvandik Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:14 am

Who can forget this?

Image

I mostly read EGM and spent my time in Arcades. The mid 90s I'd have been 13 in 94 and 15 in 97 when all the awesome shit dropped.
Reading EGM I gravitated towards the reports on import games, and all the ads in the back of Diehard Gamefan for Japanese games.
Importing Saturn and Super Famicom as an adult is my Jam these days, and PS2 but that's another era.

I didn't really get super Hardcore as a gamer until I bought a Dreamcast with some money I inherited from my great grandmother, ironically enough her name was Naomi.

So for me my scene was very underground, in a time when gaming it self was still very underground. Back then EB Games sold import Saturn games. at which point I really REALLY wanted a Saturn.

N64 was never on my Radar or my cousin's.

So that's my hazy recollection from beind a depressed teenager.
User avatar
Nemoide
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1983
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:37 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: The complete Mid 90s Gaming experence.

by Nemoide Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:40 am

Let's not forget the Samsung GX-TV, the TV specifically designed for video games!

Image

I remember seeing this thing advertised in GamePro (maybe the most 90s gaming magazine?) and it being on display in Toys R Us. I actually have a friend who owns one of them now; the picture quality is okay but pales in comparison to the Trinitrons or broadcast monitors hardcore CRT folks seek out. But as you can guess, the audio quality is good!
Image
User avatar
marurun
Moderator
 
Posts: 9483
Joined: Sat May 06, 2006 8:51 am
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: The complete Mid 90s Gaming experence.

by marurun Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:01 am

There are lots of rumors those video game contests were rigged, because there was never a winner. Further, the image on the TV is from the TurboGrafx-16 game Sinistron (Violent Soldier in Japan), but there is no TG-16 as part of the prize package.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
User avatar
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5046
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: The complete Mid 90s Gaming experence.

by samsonlonghair Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:10 am

isiolia wrote:
Dikdikvandik wrote:Anyways my Question WHAT IS the Complete mid 90s gaming experience?


VCDs are more regional. Commercial implementations never caught on in the US (popular in the Philippines, Hong Kong, etc though). Probably the main interest here was in the window between CD burners becoming commodity items, and DVD burners taking over.

pierrot wrote:Also, I don’t think anyone really used the mpeg card to actually watch VCDs with. Maybe a handful of Japanese people, but certainly no one in the West.

A friend of mine was deployed in the Persian Gulf during the mid-to-late 1990s. He watched VCDs on his Saturn. He told me that he could buy pirated VCDs in Kuwait for the equivalent of less than one dollar, but he couldn't buy a beer anywhere. :lol:
User avatar
pierrot
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3760
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:54 am
Location: Banned

Re: The complete Mid 90s Gaming experence.

by pierrot Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:05 pm

Your friend is pretty hardcore, samson.

Dikdikvandik wrote:I didn't really get super Hardcore as a gamer until I bought a Dreamcast with some money I inherited from my great grandmother, ironically enough her name was Naomi.

That— is— AWESOME! I mean, not your great grandmothers passing, but the other parts.
Image
User avatar
Ziggy587
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 12300
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:12 pm
Location: Long Island, NY

Re: The complete Mid 90s Gaming experence.

by Ziggy587 Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:43 pm

Dikdikvandik wrote:Anyways my Question WHAT IS the Complete mid 90s gaming experience?


Early 90's is arbitrarily being a die hard Nintendo or Sega fan, depending on which console your parents bought you, and arguing with kids at school or on the bus that were fans of the opposite console. This also meant arguing if Sonic or Mario was better. Mid to late 90's is the same, but with Nintendo and Sony instead. You may also argue about which franchise is better, Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat. When you aren't arguing, you will be trading cheat codes or Pokemon. Or perhaps rumors. "Nah-ah! I know because my father's cousin's roommate's neighbor works at Nintendo!"
Image
User avatar
Dikdikvandik
32-bit
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:31 am

Re: The complete Mid 90s Gaming experence.

by Dikdikvandik Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:55 am

Ziggy587 wrote:
Dikdikvandik wrote:Anyways my Question WHAT IS the Complete mid 90s gaming experience?


Early 90's is arbitrarily being a die hard Nintendo or Sega fan, depending on which console your parents bought you, and arguing with kids at school or on the bus that were fans of the opposite console. This also meant arguing if Sonic or Mario was better. Mid to late 90's is the same, but with Nintendo and Sony instead. You may also argue about which franchise is better, Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat. When you aren't arguing, you will be trading cheat codes or Pokemon. Or perhaps rumors. "Nah-ah! I know because my father's cousin's roommate's neighbor works at Nintendo!"


This I was quite active in. I was kind of both, Had a master system, then NES and SNES never had a Genesis until a year ago. even when I had an SNES It was just Fighters I don't think I had anything that wasn't a fighting game other than Super Mario World. I had a friend who had a TG-16 never saw it in the flesh.

marurun wrote:There are lots of rumors those video game contests were rigged, because there was never a winner. Further, the image on the TV is from the TurboGrafx-16 game Sinistron (Violent Soldier in Japan), but there is no TG-16 as part of the prize package.


Indeed
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2006/11/col ... 15_y_1.php


Nemoide wrote:Let's not forget the Samsung GX-TV, the TV specifically designed for video games!

Image

I remember seeing this thing advertised in GamePro (maybe the most 90s gaming magazine?) and it being on display in Toys R Us. I actually have a friend who owns one of them now; the picture quality is okay but pales in comparison to the Trinitrons or broadcast monitors hardcore CRT folks seek out. But as you can guess, the audio quality is good!


No S-video BOOOOO BOOOO

But yeah I did, and still do kind of want one for those games that my framemiester doesn't get along with, also would help for this project to have something small like that.
(I think It's implied it's for a you tube series I'm planing, focus is on imports but I want to broaden things this would be it)
User avatar
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5046
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: The complete Mid 90s Gaming experence.

by samsonlonghair Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:56 am

Dikdikvandik wrote:
Nemoide wrote:Let's not forget the Samsung GX-TV, the TV specifically designed for video games!

Image

I remember seeing this thing advertised in GamePro (maybe the most 90s gaming magazine?) and it being on display in Toys R Us. I actually have a friend who owns one of them now; the picture quality is okay but pales in comparison to the Trinitrons or broadcast monitors hardcore CRT folks seek out. But as you can guess, the audio quality is good!


No S-video BOOOOO BOOOO

Years ago we used to talk about that TV set on this forum. I think it even got mentioned in a front page article one time. To be honest, I never saw the attraction. What's so great about this TV set in the first place? It's a small picture tube with cheap, plastic speakers that fold out on little hinges. I fail to see how this makes video gaming any better. Even back in the 1990s I could hook up my Sega Genesis to a real stereo and get better sound. Practically any working TV set can give you a picture as good or better than this one.
User avatar
isiolia
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5571
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 1:52 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: The complete Mid 90s Gaming experence.

by isiolia Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:35 am

samsonlonghair wrote:Years ago we used to talk about that TV set on this forum. I think it even got mentioned in a front page article one time. To be honest, I never saw the attraction. What's so great about this TV set in the first place? It's a small picture tube with cheap, plastic speakers that fold out on little hinges. I fail to see how this makes video gaming any better. Even back in the 1990s I could hook up my Sega Genesis to a real stereo and get better sound. Practically any working TV set can give you a picture as good or better than this one.


It's probably more important to compare it to other offerings in the space. Most people were probably not shopping for a 13" TV to put in their living room. It was ostensibly a product designed as a bedroom TV, probably a kid's bedroom, right? The majority of products like that had mono sound, and one set of RCA jacks (on the front usually), if they had them at all. Plenty in that size just had an antenna connection. Meanwhile, this TV is fitting in multiple stereo RCA inputs and likely much better sound - things that really would have made it a compelling option at the time..if it had been remotely competitive on price, which I don't think it was. For the MSRP you could likely just go buy a better equipped 20" TV.

There were later models that were more reasonable in both features and cost. I have one still that I bought in college, that stood out on the shelf because it was (similarly) a 13" TV that actually had stereo sound and RCA jacks to support it.
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests