Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
Dikdikvandik
32-bit
 
Posts: 211
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:31 am

The complete Mid 90s Gaming experence.

by Dikdikvandik Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:03 am

I'm kicking this idea around in my head about recreating gaming experiences in the 1990s. The Idea came to me when I was talking about the Saturn and how I wanted to get an MPEG cart to watch VCDs on it because...that's just what you did on the Saturn. At least I THINK?

All I got in my mind is doing a video wearing JNCO pants....

All my mid 90s gaming was done with my cousin on his PS1 and ONLY his PS1 on a really bad CRT (I'll need one of those or at least a converter that gives the worst image possible) We have memories mostly me watching him beat games because he was a selfish little....

Anyways my Question WHAT IS the Complete mid 90s gaming experience?
User avatar
pierrot
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3720
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:54 am
Location: Banned

Re: The complete Mid 90s Gaming experence.

by pierrot Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:54 am

All I know is, it included Surge!

Also, I don’t think anyone really used the mpeg card to actually watch VCDs with. Maybe a handful of Japanese people, but certainly no one in the West.
Image
User avatar
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4791
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:12 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: The complete Mid 90s Gaming experence.

by Gunstar Green Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:18 pm

pierrot wrote:All I know is, it included Surge!


You beat me to it.
pook99
64-bit
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:27 pm

Re: The complete Mid 90s Gaming experence.

by pook99 Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:33 pm

For me the mid-90's were all about arcades and marathon bouts of fighting games with my friends, especially whatever tekken and street fighters were popular at the time.

It was also a time where 2d was not cool and I was wowed by the amazing 3d graphics that the ps1 offered that literally make my eyes hurt today.
User avatar
isiolia
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5564
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 1:52 pm
Location: Virginia

Re: The complete Mid 90s Gaming experence.

by isiolia Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:52 pm

Dikdikvandik wrote:Anyways my Question WHAT IS the Complete mid 90s gaming experience?


VCDs are more regional. Commercial implementations never caught on in the US (popular in the Philippines, Hong Kong, etc though). Probably the main interest here was in the window between CD burners becoming commodity items, and DVD burners taking over. With respect to consoles - again, in the US - the main one I would think of in association with that sort of thing was CDi (and it was a slightly different format). Similar to how Sony tried to market UMD movies with the PSP - it existed, but the market as a whole didn't care.

Anyway, I think it'd be hard to quite pin mid-90s gaming on one machine, if that was the goal. PS1 and Saturn showed up in '95, with the N64 a year later...but if we're being fair, a lot of the earlier FMV style CD gaming predated them a bit, and on the flip side, 16-bit carts were still going strong - the SNES got what, Killer Instinct, Donkey Kong Country 2, Yoshi's Island, and Chrono Trigger that year, along with whatever else? So it'd be highly subjective.

That being said, while it'd be debatable if they represent the best of the era, I think this'd be between Sega machines. A 32X/CD Tower of Power is a perfect representation of the earlier side of the coin - it's a mess, granted, but nothing else quite gives you 16-bit cartridge gold alongside FMV mess and all the rest all in one place. The later part of the "mid" 90s is literally the window of retail existence for the Saturn...so it's a natural fit.
User avatar
Hazerd
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 3380
Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: The complete Mid 90s Gaming experence.

by Hazerd Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:53 pm

13inch Mitsubishi CRT through coaxial cable for me, 4 player Goldeneye on that tiny ass screen.
Image
Image
User avatar
PresidentLeever
128-bit
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: The complete Mid 90s Gaming experence.

by PresidentLeever Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:06 pm

LaserActive games on a home cinema.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
User avatar
POOPIESkillz
8-bit
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:33 pm
Location: Miami, Florida, USA

Re: The complete Mid 90s Gaming experence.

by POOPIESkillz Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:02 pm

For me, gaming in the 90s was done with a Super Nintendo and N64 on a really and I mean REALLY shitty CRT TV using RF connections. My mom had a Game Boy and the only game we had was Tetris. We didn't get a PlayStation until my dad bought the then newly released PSOne revision. And I had never even heard of the Saturn until I played my aunt's in like 2000 and all she had was Area 51 and I had to use the regular Saturn controller, no lightgun. God I remember being crazy jealous of all the neighborhood kids who had Game Boy Colors and Pokemon games back in the day.
I didn't know what to put for my signature, so I got you this box.
pook99
64-bit
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:27 pm

Re: The complete Mid 90s Gaming experence.

by pook99 Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:24 pm

POOPIESkillz wrote:For me, gaming in the 90s was done with a Super Nintendo and N64 on a really and I mean REALLY shitty CRT TV using RF connections. My mom had a Game Boy and the only game we had was Tetris. We didn't get a PlayStation until my dad bought the then newly released PSOne revision. And I had never even heard of the Saturn until I played my aunt's in like 2000 and all she had was Area 51 and I had to use the regular Saturn controller, no lightgun. God I remember being crazy jealous of all the neighborhood kids who had Game Boy Colors and Pokemon games back in the day.


Welcome to the forums!

I remember I got a 19 inch tv when I was about 8 or so years old, and I played on that thing until I was about 26, I don't know if it was a crt or not but I was able to beat punch out on it so I guess that counts for something.
User avatar
POOPIESkillz
8-bit
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:33 pm
Location: Miami, Florida, USA

Re: The complete Mid 90s Gaming experence.

by POOPIESkillz Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:00 am

pook99 wrote:
POOPIESkillz wrote:For me, gaming in the 90s was done with a Super Nintendo and N64 on a really and I mean REALLY shitty CRT TV using RF connections. My mom had a Game Boy and the only game we had was Tetris. We didn't get a PlayStation until my dad bought the then newly released PSOne revision. And I had never even heard of the Saturn until I played my aunt's in like 2000 and all she had was Area 51 and I had to use the regular Saturn controller, no lightgun. God I remember being crazy jealous of all the neighborhood kids who had Game Boy Colors and Pokemon games back in the day.


Welcome to the forums!

I remember I got a 19 inch tv when I was about 8 or so years old, and I played on that thing until I was about 26, I don't know if it was a crt or not but I was able to beat punch out on it so I guess that counts for something.



Thank you! I definitely feel that. I had a small 14"-19" CRT in my bedroom until 2014! Playing my most current system via HDMI (which at that time was the PS3) on my then new 32" 1080p TV was MIND BLOWING. My first CRT that was all mine when I moved and got my own bedroom in 2000 was so old it must've been one of the first TVs that used buttons instead of dials. The buttons were broken and held on with tape. It only had RF input and, for some strange reason, I'd have to set my consoles I played on it via RF to channel 4 because, and I have no idea why, when I set that TV to channel 3, it would get whatever channel the cable on the living room TV was on. It was a pretty inventful way of watching TV in my room at night. I'd go out to the living room, put on the channel I wanted, turn off the TV but leave the cable box on, and then go into my room and turn my TV to channel 3. It was great. Primitive, but great.

Sorry for the rant :lol: I got carried away!
I didn't know what to put for my signature, so I got you this box.
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests