Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
Nemoide
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1984
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:37 pm
Location: Monster Island

Re: Rate the series - Resident Evil

by Nemoide Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:05 am

Of the ones I played:
1) REmake
2) RE 1
3) RE 2
4) RE: Code Veronica
5) RE 0
6) RE 3

I'm surprised to see hate for Code Veronica! I thought it was a solid game that felt more like Resident Evil 3 than the actual Resident Evil 3.
And I really ought to play RE 4. I started it once but didn't get very far.
Image
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10331
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Rate the series - Resident Evil

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:20 am

I really need to play some more of these...here’s my ranking of the games I’ve beaten:

Resident Evil 4 - So, so rad. Just a great action game. Absolutely blew me away, and I still revisit it from time to time.

Resident Evil 2 - The pinnacle of classic survival horror game design, IMO.

Resident Evil: Deadly Silence - A fun, remixed version of the original Resident Evil. The touch screen knife fights are a lot of fun and add even more tension to an already pretty intense experience.

Resident Evil - Took the gameplay formula established by Alone in the Dark and made it really, really good. Masterful design with less than masterful, but still lovable, voice work. A true classic.

.....

I’m going to play through the REmake this October and, if time permits, I’ll also play through RE3. Once I have those under my belt, I think I’ll be good to start exploring the series’ odder entries. (I’m surprised no one’s ranking The Umbrella Chronicles, The Darkside Chronicles, The Mercenaries, Outbreak, Gaiden, etc. What are people’s thoughts on those?)
User avatar
dsnell99
Newbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:40 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Rate the series - Resident Evil

by dsnell99 Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:29 pm

Rankings of games I've played (and the systems I primarily played them on):

1. Resident Evil 2 (PS1)
2. REmake (GCN)
3. RE 4 (GCN/PS2)
4. RE Zero (GCN)
5. RE (PS1)
6. RE -- Code: Veronica X (PS2)
7. RE 5 (PS3)
8. RE 3: Nemesis (PS1)
9. RE: Umbrella Chronicles (Wii)
10. RE: Revelations (3DS)
11. RE: Darkside Chronicles (Wii)
12. RE: R2 (PS3)
13-98. *Anything with the word "Resident" or "Evil" in title somewhere
99. RE 6 (PS3)

Haven't Played:
RE 7: Biohazard
RE 2 Remake
pook99
64-bit
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:27 pm

Re: Rate the series - Resident Evil

by pook99 Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:38 pm

Nemoide wrote:Of the ones I played:
1) REmake
2) RE 1
3) RE 2
4) RE: Code Veronica
5) RE 0
6) RE 3

I'm surprised to see hate for Code Veronica! I thought it was a solid game that felt more like Resident Evil 3 than the actual Resident Evil 3.
And I really ought to play RE 4. I started it once but didn't get very far.


I am also surprised at the hate for CV. I never played it but was always under the impression that it was generally regarded as a very good entry in the series. I still want to try it at some point but I just finished RE2make yesterday and that game is way too good, if I played CV fresh off of that I would almost definitely hate it.

and yes, definitely play RE4 at some point, it was my favorite gamecube game and although I have not played it in a long time I am reasonably sure it aged well.
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10331
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Rate the series - Resident Evil

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:41 pm

dsnell99 wrote:Rankings of games I've played (and the systems I primarily played them on):

1. Resident Evil 2 (PS1)
2. REmake (GCN)
3. RE 4 (GCN/PS2)
4. RE Zero (GCN)
5. RE (PS1)
6. RE -- Code: Veronica X (PS2)
7. RE 5 (PS3)
8. RE 3: Nemesis (PS1)
9. RE: Umbrella Chronicles (Wii)
10. RE: Revelations (3DS)
11. RE: Darkside Chronicles (Wii)
12. RE: R2 (PS3)
13-98. *Anything with the word "Resident" or "Evil" in title somewhere
99. RE 6 (PS3)

Haven't Played:
RE 7: Biohazard
RE 2 Remake


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Not a fan of RE6, huh?
pook99
64-bit
 
Posts: 395
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:27 pm

Re: Rate the series - Resident Evil

by pook99 Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:47 pm

Poor RE 6, it gets so much hate. I get why people don't like it but I always felt it was great and a logical extension of the series.

I mean, sure in the initial games your characters would be clunky and scared because who the hell would actually be prepared to fight zombies and other terrors, but by the time RE6 rolls around it is only logical that these people, almost all of whom are special agents, trained to fight these monstrosities, would be much more physically able to handle them. If Chris was still struggling to fight one zombie by the time the 6th game rolled around it would call into question the entire integrity of the series and the STARS unit.

I think thats why in RE7 your character was just some dude, that way they could go back to the horror aspect and still have it make sense.
User avatar
dsnell99
Newbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:40 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Rate the series - Resident Evil

by dsnell99 Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:45 pm

Xeogred wrote:S)
REmake

A)
REmake2
RE2
RE4
RE5

B)
RE1
RE3
RE0
Revelations 2

C)
RE7
RE6

D)
Revelations 1
CV


Nice ranks, but why the no love for C:V???
User avatar
dsnell99
Newbie
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:40 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: Rate the series - Resident Evil

by dsnell99 Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:02 pm

pook99 wrote:Poor RE 6, it gets so much hate. I get why people don't like it but I always felt it was great and a logical extension of the series.

I mean, sure in the initial games your characters would be clunky and scared because who the hell would actually be prepared to fight zombies and other terrors, but by the time RE6 rolls around it is only logical that these people, almost all of whom are special agents, trained to fight these monstrosities, would be much more physically able to handle them. If Chris was still struggling to fight one zombie by the time the 6th game rolled around it would call into question the entire integrity of the series and the STARS unit.

I think thats why in RE7 your character was just some dude, that way they could go back to the horror aspect and still have it make sense.


So I agreed with your thorough assessments of 4 & 5. 5 is where people started to split, because it expanded on what seems like just half of what made 4 so amazing and ran in that direction (btb, 4 is one of my favorite GCN games of all time, Metroid Prime being #1; Metroid possible next ranking list?).

Anywho, I really liked RE 5, though. I even rebought the gold edition on PSN a couple years ago and played through the extra mission packs. But the action element is not why RE6 is disliked, IMHO. RE 6 has some great qualities: the branching stories, the different characters, the fantastic graphics and presentation (and thorough cheese factor)...

The problem with RE 6 boils down to one major design flaw: (near) endless spawning enemies. You're supposed to be able to clear an area and know that there are no more zombies to contend with so you can root around, find all the items, and then move on... Now, I know the enemies do finally stop, but in some areas it takes so damn long, and so much ammo to where it would be impractical if not impossible to kill them all, that it's annoying af. There were at least a couple of big boss battles where I would be slamming my head up against a wall because ammo had become too limited (because I had wasted a bunch on spawning dudes at some point earlier) that I needed to reload much earlier saves to find a reasonable point that I could try again from... I hadn't had to do that that many times since playing Sierra adventure games on the PC. :x
User avatar
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7527
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:34 pm
Location: Henderson, North Carolina

Re: Rate the series - Resident Evil

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:46 pm

I'm a HUGE Resident Evil fan. I haven't played the RE2 remake yet (waiting to be in the right mood in winter so it gets dark earlier), but here's my ranking for the others. I also haven't played Survivor 2 or any of the various mobile phone games.

1. RE2
2. REmake
3. RE7
4. RE4
5. Revelations
6. RE3
7. RE0
8. Code Veronica
9. Umbrella Chronicles
10. Darkside Chronicles
11. Revelations 2
12. Survivor
13. 6
14. Operation Raccoon City
15. Dead Aim
16. 5
17. Mercenaries 3D
18. Outbreak
19. Outbreak File 2
20. Gaiden
21. unreleased GBC port
22. Umbrella Corps
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Image
User avatar
noiseredux
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 38049
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:09 pm

Re: Rate the series - Resident Evil

by noiseredux Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:49 pm

Elkin, I'm surprised to see you rank Revelations 2 so low.
Image
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests