Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PresidentLeever
128-bit

Re: Rate the series - Contra

by PresidentLeever Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:41 am

It's been a while since I played either 8-bit Contra but isn't Operation C modeled more after 3? I felt it was also less frustrating to play, and I prefer top down levels to third person/over the shoulder ones in 2D so it has a slight edge for me.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:20 pm

PresidentLeever wrote:It's been a while since I played either 8-bit Contra but isn't Operation C modeled more after 3?

Nope! Totally original game. Also, totally awesome. Fun Fact: The game’s villain, Black Viper, reappeared in Contra 4, the series’ second original portable entry.
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:39 pm

Oh, maybe I got the two GB ones mixed up. Sorry heh.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:43 pm

Yeah, there's actually a Game Boy port of Alien Wars, done by Factor 5 if memory serves. It's pretty decent, actually.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:45 pm

Sarge wrote:Yeah, there's actually a Game Boy port of Alien Wars, done by Factor 5 if memory serves. It's pretty decent, actually.

There is. There’s also a GBA port which, I think, replaces the overhead sections with levels from Hard Corps.
opa
8-bit

by opa Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:33 pm

I have little to say on the contra series but I have to say: there's a disturbing lack of Castlevania 64 on the CV rankings!
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:24 pm

opa wrote:I have little to say on the contra series but I have to say: there's a disturbing lack of Castlevania 64 on the CV rankings!

Thats because we were just rating classicvanias, I don't think you can fairly compare castlevania 4 vs something like syphony of the night vs something like lords of shadow. I love all of those games but, despite sharing a namesake, they are completely different genres.

Having said that I don't hate C64, I got it for my birthday the year it came out and rather enjoyed it at the time, I can't imagine it holding up well and would probably be unplayable today.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:06 am

pook99 wrote:Having said that I don't hate C64, I got it for my birthday the year it came out and rather enjoyed it at the time, I can't imagine it holding up well and would probably be unplayable today.

I played through Curse of Darkness, the effective bug patch of C64, a few years back and it's actually surprisingly quite good! Definitely something worth checking out on the system if you like 3D action games. I didn't go in expecting much, but I quite enjoyed my time with it and was very pleasantly surprised :D
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:32 pm

I've only beaten Contra Spirits (the Japanese version of Contra III), and Contra Hard Corps on the Genesis. I would rank Contra Hard Corps way above Contra Spirits, personally. At some point I'll actually play more than the first four stages of the NES games (not Contra Force, although it lent some great remixes to the Rebirth sound track), and Rebirth at some point. I absolutely love the soundtrack to Hard Corps, but like Castlevania Adventure Rebirth, Namiki Manabu did some exceptional work with the Contra Rebirth soundtrack. Exibit A: I think it's a bonus track for the physical OST, though.
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:53 pm

Oh yeah those are nice. I wonder if it's raw output (YM2151+OKIM6258 I guess) or they were remastered a bit.
Return to General Gaming