Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PresidentLeever
128-bit

Re: Rate the series - Mega Man

by PresidentLeever Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:25 am

Sarge wrote:I played a bit of the Game Gear port, and thought it was okay? It didn't seem bad at all to me. Not optimal sure, especially with the zoomed in screens, but it plays alright.

Yeah I liked this one better than MM 1-2 GB, and of course the WS game.

Wily Wars is great with those GG codes to fix some things, and overclocking in emulation to remove all slowdown. The timing of various things is still different from the NES games though.

https://gamehacking.org/game/15460

Music could absolutely have been better, but it's not bad. The drums have some high pitched noise "artifacts" in emulation and sound better on real hardware.

MM5-6 is as polished as the games sounded on NES and then there are still better sounding Konami and Sunsoft games in terms of the music.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:57 pm

I'm pleased to see that MM 5 is getting some love on this thread, I always feel that it is the most under rated game in the series and , while not as good as 2, or 9, definitely is an outstanding game. I also agree gravity mans stage is wicked fun.

@prfsnl_gamer: I played power up this year and loved it, I also played gb MM 5 based on your recommendation and loved that as well. I just chose not to include them because there are just so many mega man games/ports/handhelds it would just make an already difficult process even more daunting.

I do think I should have included mega man and bass, but just forgot about it. I only played that game once in my life, in fact it was the first game I played after I discovered emulation when I got my first computer back in 2000. I definitely remember enjoying it but for some reason I never revisited it, I probably will soon.

I also think Mega Man holds the prestige of having the best fan games out there, there are lots of amazing fan titles and romhacks and some of them are easily on par or better than capcoms best, definitely worth checking out.
Ack

by Ack Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:01 pm

Can we talk about side games like Mega Man Legends, which is an old love of mine? I realize it's not in the scope of the main series, but some of the side games have contributed heavily to my love of the franchise.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:02 pm

Ack wrote:Can we talk about side games like Mega Man Legends, which is an old love of mine? I realize it's not in the scope of the main series, but some of the side games have contributed heavily to my love of the franchise.

we can talk about anything we want!

I remember loving mega man legends, was about 20 hours in and then my memory card got deleted so I never finished it. I have always been meaning to play it at some point but havent yet, maybe if they ever announce legends 3 it will inspire me to finally give it another go.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:21 pm

@pook99

I’m glad you enjoyed my recommendations! Mega Man is one of my favorite series, and I am trying to run it. Unfortunately, the only games I have left to beat are the bad ones...oh well...I’m not a true fan until I’ve beaten the DOS games! :lol:
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

by Dikdikvandik Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:01 am

Ok how about Mega Man fan games/rom Hacks?

I love the Endless mode Hacks of 2-5

Mega Man Unlimited however I feel like they just don't get Mega Man.

Sonic fans seem to get what makes Sonic,Sonic.Mega Man fans however just seem to want to make hard for the sake of hard with horrible level design.

But there are good Mega Man rom Hacks and fan games (8 bit 7 and 8,x Street fighter, and the Endless hacks)
Ack

by Ack Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:04 am

pook99 wrote:
Ack wrote:Can we talk about side games like Mega Man Legends, which is an old love of mine? I realize it's not in the scope of the main series, but some of the side games have contributed heavily to my love of the franchise.

we can talk about anything we want!

I remember loving mega man legends, was about 20 hours in and then my memory card got deleted so I never finished it. I have always been meaning to play it at some point but havent yet, maybe if they ever announce legends 3 it will inspire me to finally give it another go.

Oh, you gotta go back to it! Don't even worry about Legends 3, just grab yourself a copy of this and sit down with it again. It's well worth returning to. Heck, for a while I'd just go back to play Legends for the fun of it even though I'd beaten it several times and had a save at the end of the game with everything unlocked. It was my PS1 comfort food alongside Final Fantasy Tactics.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:21 pm

Well I listed those fan FC demakes. I also like Rokko Chan a lot, at least I did years ago.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:01 pm

Rockman 7 FC is splendid. I don't think MM7 is terrible, of course, but the demake improves it substantially.
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Sat Oct 26, 2019 8:12 am

@prfsnl_gamer: I'm with you on loving mega man, it is definitely one of my all time favorite game series and one of the only series I would put on the same level as Mario. If you want my advice, skip the crummy dos games and start diving into some fan games, you will love them and be much better off.

@dikdikvandik: I love mega man fan games and the ones I have played have not been overwhelmingly difficult, I did play mega man cx which was just stupid hard/trolly and hated it but there have been some really great ones as well:

Mega Man Super fighting robots is a great game with fair difficulty

Mega Man Rock force is another one that is alot of fun and presents a fair challenge, this one also lets you play as some boss robots like knight man, dive man, and cutsman, definitely worth a playthrough

You mentioned mega man unlimited which is amazing but difficult and Mega man x Street fighter which is one of my favorites thematically

I've also heard good things about day in the limelight which is a mega man fan game that has you playing as various robot masters, havent played it myself but seems worth a playthrough.

@ack: yeah, I definitely should. I still own it(although I will play it on emulator anyway) and it always haunts me as one of 2 games that I got screwed on due to a memory card issue, the other being psi-ops which I eventually did go back and beat a year or 2 ago.

@presidentleever and sarge: I didn't love the rockman 7 demake, I was super excited for it but there was something about it that was just underwhelming. I've heard good things about rokko chan though and will probably check it out at some point.

Another thing that might be worth talking about is mega man indie clones, it seems that mega man has more indie games that pay homage to him than any other classic series, some of the ones I've played and enjoyed

1. Azure striker series (plays more like X than classic mega man, its what mighty no 9 should have been)
2. Rozenkreustillette: Very good homage to classic mega man, replaces robots with angels and demons
3. 20XX-roguleike Mega Man x clone, very good and has coop
4. A.R.E.S
5. AVGN adventures: more of a parody but does feel like an obscenely difficult mega man, worth a playthrough if you enjoy the angry video game nerd, hard games, and classic parodies
6. Mighty no 9: not as bad as people say, I enjoyed it but it is not on par with 11 for sure
7. Mighty gunvolt burst: an 8 bit style game that plays like classic mega man, only on switch but a lot of fun
8. Dr. Green: a mega man style game with an environmentally friendly message
9. giga girl: don't really remember much about it other than its short and plays like mega man
10. invasher: an ok mega man game with the annoying mechanic of having to buy weapons after defeating their equivalent of robot masters
11. Legend of dark witch 1 and 2: easyish mega man games
12. Magnetta: interesting game where most of the boss weapons help you navigate levels more than they help you fight

I could go on but those are just a handful of decent - great mega man clones
Return to General Gaming