Rate the series - Home consoles

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Rate the series - Mega Man

Post by Ack »

That doesn't make up for the fact Capcom was so out of ideas, they created Clown Man.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

Remember that Mega Man Robot masters were decided by a contest. They CHOSE Clown Man out of thousands of entries.
Then went to the Nintendo Power Pool for 9-11.

There are only so many concepts you can use before you get to NSFW Robot Masters.

I don't mind Clown man. His stage theme is catchy the stage is fun and if you have his weakness he's easy.

I can't say the same for some of the stages in 11. Bounce Man and Torch Man...I hope somebody got fired....
marurun

Post by marurun »

I utterly hated Clown Man's music, voice, and stage. That said, it's not the worst in Mega Man. It's just pretty bad.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

Keep in mind I mainly play Rockman 8

and no...the Japanese voices aren't much better. But at least Clown Man doesn't sound like one of the Angry Beavers.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Friendly reminder of these underrated gems:

I think it gets harder for me to rank the rest of the main line series, other than Mega Man X1 is another one of my top favorites. Although on the easy side compared to its sequels and I hate how you don't have the dashing by default for the opening stage, it's just such a perfect game otherwise with some of the best music. X2-X3 do a nice job upping the difficulty and experimenting with the X armor. X4 is gorgeous but goes a little too hard on the extra dialogue with bosses and stuff, then there's X5 which has loads of design issues, but it's still ultimately fun. Truth be told I love X6, it's absolutely insane and balls to the wall, but I find that fitting as a huge fan of the series, it's awesome to get a really demented and hard game in the series. Hardcore territory.

X8 was a one and done thing for me back in the day. Couldn't stomach much of it again when I sampled it via the X Legacy Collection.

X7 is somehow even worse than MM7. The 7's are horrifying.

I don't recall liking ZX much, but I played ZX Advent a year or two ago and was pleasantly surprised by that one. Some of the toughest bosses in the franchise!

Zero 1 has some serious issues with the timed triggers and limited lives. Zero 2-3 are excellent though and 4 has some peaks of awesomeness, along with one of the coolest final boss fights in the franchise.

Mega Man V's space theme rocks! I need to check out IV sometime which I hear is good as well.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

The ZX Games I like in theory Mega Mantroidvania but I need time with them.

The X Series is just Garbage after X5.

I literally got a migraine from X6. X7 needs action replay codes to be decent and X8 is so hard I can't make a dent in it. Even the music in x6-8 is trash.

I don't hate Mega Man 7 but I'm not a fan of splitting it up.

I need more time with Zero

DO NOT like Legends.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvm1aR8FrNg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me3Me0jikwE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PesH-_rc_wo

Even X7-X8 have great music despite me not liking the games. Time to get your ears examined.

Legends 1-2 are incredible.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

There are like 4 tunes from x8 I can pull from memory and they're alright doesn't really fit the Mega Man X vibe.

Nothing from X7 stands out to me other than the opening stage, I don't remember anything else from the soundtrack.

We're over due for the Elf wars in game form.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Oh, uh-uh. This MM8 hate will not stand. Clown Man is better than j00, Ack! Also the English VA is great for how laughably bad it is--who could forget, "I will crush you, I will-- beat you!"--but the Japanese VA is just actually really good. The Rockman screaming part is still pretty earsplitting, and annoying, though. Also has the best stage select music ever. The Saturn version is obviously the way to go.

I thought it was just the classic Mega Man games for this ranking, so I'm going to ignore anything that isn't the original Blue Bomber, running around, shooting up eight robot masters, and probably Wily.

1. Rockman 3 (MD)
  2. Rockman 8 (Saturn)
  3. Rockman 2 (MD)
  4. Rockman & Forte (SFC)
  5. Wily Tower (MD)
  6. Rockman (MD)
  7. Rockman 7

Those are what I've beaten. I hated MM4, so I also ended up not really bothering with 5 or 6. I agree with Xeo that 7 is a pile of ass. Everything above it is ace, though.

Because it's inevitable, this is what Rockman Mega World sounds like on original hardware. You cannot tell me that version of the MM3 intro isn't better than the NES rendition. The Mega Drive be goin' hard. It's just too stronk.

Also, I apparently didn't share an RE ranking. So if you thought you hated my Mega Man ranking, feast your eyes on this!
  1. Resident Evil: Code Veronica Kanzenban (DC)
  2. Resident Evil (Saturn)
  3. Resident Evil 2 (DC)
  4. Resident Evil 3 (DC)
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

Every YouTube video I've found ranks 8 last.

Pure Blasphemy.

Maybe I'm biased because I own the Japanese Saturn version.

Wily 1 is pure evil in 8. Worse than Torch Man's stage in 11 and Quick Man's stage combined.

Best stage in Mega Man history?

Gravity Man

Metal Storm's gimmick in the perfect Mega Man stage.