Rate the series - Home consoles

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Re: Rate the series - Mega Man

Post by Dikdikvandik »

I only agree with you on the X series as I don't have any Zero experience.

X7 NEEDS an action replay to be good. Not helped by or enhanced by it NEEDS it. Max out life Bars and make it so X Is playable right away.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Zero is a hard one because I think they're all pretty good.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I'm only going to rate the core series - no spin-offs, subseries or even GB versions.

9 > 2 > 10 > 4 > 6 > 1 > 7 > 8 > 5 > 3

I haven't played 11 yet.

9 is definitely my vote for the best. A lack of power ups like sliding, the charge shot or rush adapters etc mean that it ends up really making the robot master weapons feel useful, which I felt wasn't the case with other games in the series.

5 and 3 are my votes for the worst ones. 5's main issue is just feeling really empty and boring. It's like they forgot to put any obstacles into the game.

3 has the issue of just feeling unfinished. The doc robot levels are some of the worst stages in Mega Man.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Can't comment about the DS or GBA series and some of the wierd spinoffs. Just the series I played.

Mega-Man. Whole series a solid 8.5. They were never bad and even the Reimagining on PSP with Powered up was really fun. I esp loved the Make a Mega Man stuff before Little Big Planet or Mario Maker existed. I would rank MM higher as a whole but some of the later NES sequels were starting to wear thin, not terrible just a little worn out. MM11 is a great sequel. I actually really liked 7 and 8.

Mega Man X. 6.5- This series had a stellar start. After SNES it kept sliding downhill. PS1 games are still decent but IMO not that memorable. PS2 games are so bad it takes this score down a couple of points. X7 is esp bad. not one redeeming thing about that game. Not a single one.

Legends. 8.0. I will not judge what we didn't get. Just what we did get. Fantastic spin-offs. They are so charming. They are just so damn fun feel-good games.

As for successors. Ginvolt 1-2 is pretty good. It's a good game but I could not get into Shovel Knight at all. I backed MN9 and boy do I regret it. One of my most hated games ever. From the KS to the game itself is just the definition of misery. The only good thing about MN9 is that music. It has a stellar OST esp that main theme. The main theme makes me nostalgic about the mid 90s CD-based games. Freedom Planet did that as well. God, I love it when modern games do that. I love that mid-90s CD game sound so much!
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Going to do something a little different, rather than rate series, lets rate consoles. For the purpose of this discussion we are only rating home consoles, no handhelds, although I would include the switch in this list since that is both.

You can rate any and all home consoles. Here is my list:

1. NES: maybe its nostalgia, maybe it is the fact that this machine saved the gaming industry, maybe it is the huge amount of innovation, or maybe it is just the fact that over 30 years later I still play NES games more than any other system. For me the original NES is the best system ever and I don't think it will ever be overthrown in my eyes

2. Xbox 360: not an orthodox pick, but a huge library of multiplats(usually the best version), a nice batch of exclusives, but more importantly, this is the system that started the retro revival. Old school gamers all flocked to this system to play modern day retro masterpieces, the storefront was well done, and microsoft did a great job of marketing it.

3. PS2: Amazing system, tons of solid games, and probably the system that birthed modern day gaming as we know it. Every genre was widely represented and several masterpieces were born here.

4. SNES: the system of choice for RPG's. fighting games, beat em ups, and platformers, all of which were my favorite genres of the time. The graphics and sound were unmatched at the time and there are just so many games that end up on best of lists.

5. PS1: Although many games on this system did not age that well, there is no denying the impact and tremendous library of this system. This system was home to some of the best RPG's ever, it created 3d gaming, and although 2d games were sparse, there was some amazing 2d games released on this system.

6. Saturn: The only Sega system I truly appreciate. If you wanted arcade perfect fighters at home the saturn was your only choice. It handled 2d fighters much better than the ps1 and was also home to a small, but great library of under appreciated classics like guardian heroes, dragon force, and panzer dragoon saga to name a few

7. Gamecube: I didn't love the GC at release but I have developed an appreciation for it over the years, solid library with some true classics, it is an underappreciated console.

8. Wii: the motion controls were annoying but this was the first console I bought with my wife and we had fun playing it together and at parties. It was not the deepest console but it was a blast and it did have its some of my favorite games of all time such as Punch out and Mario Galaxy

9. PS3: not a bad system but definitely did not wow me, although there were some absolutely amazing games on this system (last of us most notably) it didn't capture me the way the other consoles of its generation did

10. Xbox: see above, good system, not great, completely overshadowed by the ps2

11. Genesis: I am just not a sega kid and genesis placing so low on this list verifies that. I do enjoy the system, but the things genesis does well are not the genres that appeal to me, I also hate sonic. Don't get me wrong there are some great games here, Streets of Rage 2 is one of the best beat em ups ever and warsong is probably my favorite SRPG of all time, but I rarely find myself playing genesis nowadays.

12. Turbografx: this is the line between systems I like and systems I hate. I enjoyed turbografx as a kid and the turbo cd was far superior to any other cd system at the time. I have lots of warm fuzzy memories on this thing and I wish it lasted longer than it did in the USA.

13. Atari 2600: the first of the systems that just bore the hell out of me nowadays. Games are way too simple for me to enjoy but it is my first gaming system ever so it gets to hold the highest spot on my bad system list

14. Dreamcast: I know I will get hate here, but unlike many nostalgic internet gamers, I completely understand why this system led to sega's demise. The experiences offered were very arcadey and offered some fun here and there, but this was a time where gamers were longing for something more, which they were easily able to find in the other consoles of that generation

15. Xbox one: A system with absolutely no exclusives!!!! wow, I get what microsoft is doing putting emphasis on PC gaming but as someone who owns a gaming PC, there is simply no reason to own an XBone, even if I didn't most of the exclusives are mediocre at best and not worth the price of admission

16. Master System: here it is folks, the worst system ever made. Every year I have a day where I decide to try a bunch of random MS games, every year I am disappointed. A crappy system with a crappy controller and a limited library of crappy games. I absolutely loathe this system.

*******Switch and PS4

I chose not to rate these 2 since they are both current. If I were to rate them right now the switch would be VERY high, probably coming in as my 4th or 5th favorite console. The PS4 would be mid range with an acknowledgement of some amazing games.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Rate the series - Home consoles

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Here...we...go!!!!

PSX
SNES/SFC
PS2
Wii
NES/FC
Xbox 360
Genesis/MD/SCD/32X
PS3
Xbox
N64
GameCube
DreamCast
Sega Saturn
TG16/CD
Neo Geo
Wii U
Intellivision
SMS
ColecoVision
3DO
Jaguar
CD-i
Arcadia 2001

There are more home consoles, but I only have experience with these systems. Also, this list is OBJECTIVELY correct, and no debate on it will be permitted in this thread. :lol:
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Hmm. The toughest part is probably going to be deciding on the order of the top three.
  • Dreamcast
  • Saturn
  • Genesis
  • Gamecube
  • Playstation 2
  • Playstation
  • PC Engine CD
  • NES
  • Sega CD
  • PC Engine
  • ColecoVision
  • Master System
  • Wii
  • Playstation 3
  • Xbox 360
  • 32X
  • SNES
  • N64
  • Wii U
  • Xbox

Nevermind, I take it back. Organizing the bottom was the toughest part.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

1. Sega Genesis
999. Super Nintendo

THE CONSOLE WARS NEVER END!

(Just kidding SNES is probably my #2 or 3.)
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

I realize I forgot to rate N64 in my list, it could go just above the master system as one of my all time least favorite consoles, outside of Mario 64 there is not a single game on the console that I truly love, and this is coming from a Nintendo fanboy.

@prfsnl_gamer: interesting putting ps1 over ps2...I get it, I still give the nod to ps2 but ps1 was a truly fantastic system. My main issue is that many of the 3d games did not age well because of the awkwardnes of early 3d.

@pierot: putting master system over SNES actually makes my soul die a little. I mean, I get liking sega but that is really some next level sega love right there.

@gunstar: that was funny, the 16 bit console wars really never do end. I don't think we will ever see another rivalry as strong in our lifetime.

@president leever: I left PC out of my list because it would be hands down my number 1 system, between the amazing emulation scene and the endless library of games, both old and new, a decent gaming PC is unmatched in the console wars, add the portability of a gaming laptop and it is simply no contest.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Each console listed includes the domestic and foreign libraries, plus peripherals. So, "NES" is really NES/Fami/FDS. Okay.

1. SNES - Pretty much unstoppable. Perfect controller design. Best library of both turn-based and action-RPGs by a huge margin. Some of the greatest platformers ever. Fantastic graphics and sound design.

2. NES - The sheer breadth of games is just insane. Extremely high IQ set of platformers. Legenday classics like Mario, Zelda, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania, Mega Man, Metroid... Lots of cool shit no one even talks about these days, like a solid set of ported WRPGs and some of the earliest Japanese adventure games.

3. PC Engine - The CDs really make this. Ys Book I & II (and Xak Book I & II) = best thing ever. Plus them HuCards ain't too bad. Hail Dungeon Explorer.

4. Genesis - What can I say. The 16-bit gen is obviously my favorite and this is one of the reasons why. Great arcade ports, Phantasy Star, etc.

5. Atari 2600 - Hugely underrated these days. The birth of "pick up and play" gaming. Tons of great first-party titles, the Activision library, the earliest home ports of Japanese classics. I never tire of it.

That's my top five. The list would turn into a mess if I continue. PSX, PS2, and Saturn would come next I suppose. After that things get really sloppy. What separates my 14th favorite console from the 15th?