Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pierrot
Next-Gen

Box Artwork You Remember Looking Better Than It Does

by pierrot Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:04 pm

This idea came about in part from my search for a comic book cover to a specific X-Men comic I had as a kid (issue #64 of X-Men, for anyone who's curious). When I found it, something about it just didn't strike me the same way it used to when I was really young.

Then today, I just happened to look at the cover for Mega Man X3 on the SNES.

I don't know. It's not really bad cover art, like the kind you hear about in some of our other topics, but something about X's face is just way more doofusy than I remember. It's not just that I think the cover art doesn't look that hot, it's also that I used to think MMX3 had really cool box art, when I was a kid. I don't know if it's just a matter of the passage of time, or if maybe the Japanese box art has influenced my perceptions, or what.

Anyone else have examples of box artwork that looked great to your kid brain, but not so great as an adult?
PresidentLeever
128-bit

Re: Box Artwork You Remember Looking Better Than It Does

by PresidentLeever Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:06 pm

Used to like characters like this a lot when I was about 10 or below.

ImageImage

Also used to think these were just fine as a small kid. :D
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:48 pm

Loved the Final Fantasy III box art as a kid, cuz Mog was such a cool/cute mascot.

In retrospect it's super corny.

Especially compared to the gorgeous Japanese art.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:20 pm

Those are some nice examples, Leever; Maybe even just of the differences in "good" design between the 80s to mid-90s, and everything after. The Kwirk example reminds me that I used to really like Cool Spot (as in the character) when I was a kid.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Loved the Final Fantasy III box art as a kid, cuz Mog was such a cool/cute mascot.

This was me. too, believe it or not.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:In retrospect it's super corny.

Especially compared to the gorgeous Japanese art.

Yeah, I agree with this, also, but partly because I now recognize that the artist for the NA cover appeared to just stop drawing Mog halfway through.
Return to General Gaming