Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Post-Release)

by Gunstar Green Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:14 pm

My save got screwed over by the 1.02 patch. I'm really in no mood to start over because if I'm being totally honest I wasn't enjoying it that much. I've played better versions of this game already. This might sound crazy coming from a retro gamer, but Bloodstained is too stuck in the past. It's fine for what it is, but I couldn't get over this building sense of boredom as I traversed the castle and kept thinking of other games that do it better. I had similar feelings with Samus Returns. I feel like this is just a genre that's evolved way beyond its roots.

That is today's unpopular opinion.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:09 pm

Gunstar Green wrote:My save got screwed over by the 1.02 patch. I'm really in no mood to start over because if I'm being totally honest I wasn't enjoying it that much. I've played better versions of this game already. This might sound crazy coming from a retro gamer, but Bloodstained is too stuck in the past. It's fine for what it is, but I couldn't get over this building sense of boredom as I traversed the castle and kept thinking of other games that do it better. I had similar feelings with Samus Returns. I feel like this is just a genre that's evolved way beyond its roots.

That is today's unpopular opinion.

How exactly did your save get screwed? I haven't played since the patch and been too busy this week, was going to jump back in tomorrow.

What games are better?

Won't argue though, it is hilarious how the Igavania formula laid out here is literally the exact same thing as SoTN and the 6 GBA/DS titles that followed. But eh, I'm a sucker for a good formula and just new levels/bosses can win me over. I was really digging this personally.

I don't think Samus Returns was stuck in the past though. That game was far more action heavy than the rest of the 2D Metroid's and suffered a bit because of that choice and all the levels blended in. Had a blast with Samus Returns myself but I can't deny, it's been kind of forgettable already in retrospect. AM2R is way better in my book.

Only thing I'd knock on Bloodstained is that the voice acting seemed hilariously average, even David Hayter just sounds like's completely phoning it in now. Miriam is good thankfully. But maybe I'll switch to the Japanese voices.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:00 am

A chest that contains a progression critical item is already empty meaning I have to restart as their response to the bug is they've found no way to fix it.

Samus Returns is fine it's just extremely bland which is not something I want in a game focused on exploration.

I might not be in the right headspace for this right now. Everyone else is loving it, it just left me feeling cold. I've played this game already and I've explored this castle before, and it was better then. I'm not done with it, but I'm done for now.

I enjoyed Dead Cells and Hollow Knight among others. The "name brands" just aren't living up to what the new kids are bringing in my opinion. That's just my opinion.

If you want a new SotN though like I did when I backed it, that's exactly what you get. I know most people are going to be happy with Bloodstained, the negativity is solely on me.
SuperDerpBro
64-bit

by SuperDerpBro Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:17 pm

Should i buy Bloodstained Ritual of the Night?

Symphony of the Night MIGHT be my favorite game of all time.

Not sold on this yet for some reason. Should i buy it now or wait until i can get it super cheap (I do this for most games)? It's about $50 CAD here ATM.

Cheers :)
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:14 pm

SuperDerpBro wrote:Should i buy Bloodstained Ritual of the Night?

Symphony of the Night MIGHT be my favorite game of all time.

Um... YES? :lol:

Like Gunstar said above, pretty much everyone else is loving it and I've seen a bunch of Steam reviews of people saying they supposedly haven't felt this kind of magic since SoTN itself. If you like Igavania, this is more of that.

I played a lot more today and felt like a dumb kid holding in my tinkle because I couldn't put the dang game down for a second. :lol:

There are actually some seriously cool looking levels a bit further into the game, midpoint in or so. Never though I'd say that for the 2.5D style, but I now wouldn't want this to be any other way. And although no boss has been too hard yet, there's been a few times I've had to safely travel back to a save point just so I don't die and lose some progress. It's not super hard or anything, but not a cake walk like SoTN was.

This game is amazing and addicting.
SuperDerpBro
64-bit

by SuperDerpBro Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:44 am

Hmm.. maybe ill just wait till it's a bit cheaper and not until it's 10 bux hehe :)
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:44 am

SuperDerpBro wrote:Hmm.. maybe ill just wait till it's a bit cheaper and not until it's 10 bux hehe :)

It's 10% off right now on both Steam and GOG. :D
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:45 pm

So I've noticed a weird bug with items drops from flying enemies or on inclines.

Stuck in ceiling:

Stuck in floor (I'm standing on it):

Floating in mid air!

Also, not that this is necessarily a bad thing, but Bloodstained is starting to feel more and more like a SotN imitation than it's own game.

Sitting in a chair in a library while your fairy familiar rests on your shoulder...

And the new librarian is a vampire whose first and last name are both Dracula references.

There's even vertical hollow column beneath his seat. Where have I seen that before?
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:24 pm

My copy arrives on Monday according to USPS. Can't wait.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:04 pm

I appreciate the fanservice and some of the joke achievements. For me Ziggy, the further I've gotten into it, the more I'm loving this game and it's some of the most intense binging I've done in awhile, it's so freaking addicting. I don't think Iga was very shy about shaping up an alternate timeline Castlevania here, but I do think it has some stuff later on that sets it apart, or levels and ideas you would never have gotten in Castlevania. One late game ability blew my mind but I'm not going to spoil anything. I've got about 80% of the map done right now at ~13 hours or something. The amount of content is pretty staggering and more than I expected.

At this point I'd easily put it up there with SoTN, Circle of the Moon, Aria/Dawn of Sorrow, and Order of Ecclesia for my favorite Igavania's. Maybe even better than some of them honestly. Visually this might be my favorite 2.5D styled game ever.
Return to General Gaming