Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Post-Release)

by marurun Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:15 pm

Spoiler tag that map, brocephus!
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:01 pm

Thanks. I didn't think it would be a big deal since you'd really have to study it to spoil anything, at which point just don't look at it. But you're right.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:11 pm

@Ziggy: Did you fight one of the secret super bosses? Not any of the ones in those locked rooms. You go back somewhere...

Boss was harder than the final boss by a long shot to me.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:22 pm

Ha. I just looked up a video. The premise is hilarious!
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:00 pm

Yeah, so you probably know who it is. :lol:

And when you beat him, you get to take out EVERY book at once!
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:10 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:So I'm sure I'm not the only one to figure out this easy potion farming method, but check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCDyg8B4t_A

I have Augment LCK and Augment Gold leveled up fully, so those stats are both applied. Luck helps item drops, and the Augment Gold helps to gain more money when gold drops instead of an item. Any luck boosting equipment will help as well. I have a somewhat leveled up Shuriken conjure shard, and somewhat leveled Accelerator manipulative shard. These two shards really help speed up the process, as you can see.

Basically, you wanna pick up small webbing and melting bones to make potions, and then 4 potions makes a High Potion. But with the Augment Gold shard you will gain a little money as well. And any other items that are dropped, or shards collected, can be sold for even more cash (if you have no use for them). I sped up portions at 10x speed just to get to the point, but this entire segment only took about 5 minutes real time. And that's including going back to the save point once to refill the MP. The Accelerator shard really helps!

OK, so I tweaked my potion farming method a little bit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXV1w5kDoxc

Basically, if you collect the MP restore item from the nearest candle each time then you will never deplete your MP. That way you can do this continuously without having to go to the save point to restore MP. Well, at least, that's what I can do with my current stats. You can see the stats of the equipment and shards that I'm using for this, but IIRC I also have a book checked out that boosts luck. Now the only limitation is the amount of potions you can carry at a time.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:57 am

PSA: Bloodstained got added to Gamepass last week, which is nice.

Anyway, I've played quite a lot of it this week and overall am pretty positive on it even if it does have its share of flaws.

My main bugbear is with the bosses, less from mechanical standpoint and more to do with the fairly obnoxious amounts of health they have. I get it's hard to balance in what is nominally an action/rpg but I have been on level and well equipped but they are still a slog.

I don't really like the shard system either. It's not egregious but I find most of it fairly pointless. I found similar systems in Circle Of the Moon, Aria and Curse of Darkness a bit whack as well so maybe that is just me but I find these systems add a lot of grind and RNG where there perhaps shouldn't be. The water blast power is a prime example, it's a random drop from an enemy you would likely avoid but is essential to get the better ending.

And yeah, even this version is buggy and poorly optimised, still have the bug with loot bags getting stuck in the walls, has crashed my xbone twice, long reloading times after death, etc. Nothing game breaking fortunately but still annoying.

Finally I also understand Gunstar's thoughts on how it's possibly too similar to older Igavanias. While I can understand that's what people wanted, I also felt like the game was walking the line too often. I mean the Catherdral is so similar to the one in SotN it's kind of lazy. Having played SotN through recently there was a touch of disappointment in seeing so much stuff reused in a game 21 years later. Again I know that this is what people backed but still.

I am enjoying it on the whole though and looking to get 100% if not later then sometime this week.
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:56 pm

I got it on gamepass this week as well, overall was very disappointed, I didn't finish it, I got lost, bored, more lost, more bored, and eventually just uninstalled it, glad i didnt pay for it.

It probably didn't help that one of the last games I beat was Guacamelee 2 which was hands down one of the most amazing metroidvanias I have ever played, after riding that high bloodstained just seemed stale and boring. Circle of the moon is still amazing though.
Return to General Gaming