Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Re: Do you have a graphical "style" you really like?

by Forlorn Drifter Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:45 pm

Great stuff folks!

I'll try and get back and reply to everybody soon, between E3 and personal stuff I've been busier than I expected and haven't gotten around to it yet. Sorry!
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:46 pm

I always liked large, detailed, and colorful 8-bit sprites. The dragon boss in Mega Man 2 impresses me to this day. :lol:
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:54 pm

Astyanax is another good one for those.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:42 pm

I always had a strange love of flat shaded and gouraud shaded polygons of early 3D games yet I tend to not like a lot of the early textured polygons unless it's kept simple and minimalist. I also like wireframe graphics but not as much. I blame MechWarrior 2.

I also absolutely love some of the detailed VGA artwork that a lot of DOS games used for cutscenes before FMV became all the rage. There's something so raw and crispy about it.

Stuff like this:

PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:23 am

Definitely a fan of flat shaded polys (although the higher the res the better) and those early 90s 2D cutscenes, yeah. The Dune 2 intro is also great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tC32ZIYXlE
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:40 am

Yes. Great call on the flat-shaded polygons and wire-frame graphics. I still think Star Wars: The Arcade Game looks pretty awesome, and I feel the same way about Virtua Racing.
Rydon
24-bit

by Rydon Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:06 pm

I love the 16-bit pixel sprites of the JRPG games. Just can't get enough of them
Anapan
Next-Gen

by Anapan Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:25 am

I love that monochrome green translucent wireframe 3D that the 80's thought was going to be the standard with the holographic displays we never got in their imagined future. It's rare to see it anymore, but in the 90's it was a standard "this is the future" effect. Extra bonus if it is 240p viewed through a CRT, or it's got an imposed scanline filter. Big loss if it has any other effect. The screens were/are wired directly and there should never be any interference.
Even bigger bonus is the display is an x-y vector plotter and is portrayed realistically.
Off the top of my head:
PS1 Ghost in the Shell - Pre-mission breifings & night-vision mode
PS1 Simple 1500 series - The Invaders in 3D 3rd-person mode
Arcade game - Battle Zone (this was true vector - I never experienced it myself)

Huh, I don't have any others that I didn't force this by running games through RGB or s-video luminance while modifying the game output to achieve my desired effect.
I'll post pics soon, but now I really want some help identifying other games that have this...

I remember Final Fantasy VII enemies did this in terminator red translucent wireframe when killed - best death reward ever - full model display without shit texture.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:03 pm

Anapan wrote:I love that monochrome green translucent wireframe 3D that the 80's thought was going to be the standard with the holographic displays we never got in their imagined future. It's rare to see it anymore, but in the 90's it was a standard "this is the future" effect. Extra bonus if it is 240p viewed through a CRT, or it's got an imposed scanline filter. Big loss if it has any other effect. The screens were/are wired directly and there should never be any interference.
Even bigger bonus is the display is an x-y vector plotter and is portrayed realistically.
Off the top of my head:
PS1 Ghost in the Shell - Pre-mission breifings & night-vision mode
PS1 Simple 1500 series - The Invaders in 3D 3rd-person mode
Arcade game - Battle Zone (this was true vector - I never experienced it myself)

Huh, I don't have any others that I didn't force this by running games through RGB or s-video luminance while modifying the game output to achieve my desired effect.
I'll post pics soon, but now I really want some help identifying other games that have this...

I remember Final Fantasy VII enemies did this in terminator red translucent wireframe when killed - best death reward ever - full model display without shit texture.

I seem to recall playing a virtual boy demo in a Sears in 1995. There was a wireframe vector game called Red Alarm. Check it out. You might dig it.

Star Wars Arcade might be up your alley too.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:17 pm

Return to General Gaming