Do you have a graphical "style" you really like?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Do you have a graphical "style" you really like?

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Just kind of a general question- it doesn't have to be too specific, but just a general style. Whether it ties to an era, art choice, whatever it may be.

One of my absolute favorites is what I call the "plasticky" style. To me, everything looks like it's made out of plastic. Examples would be things like Doom 2016/Doom Eternal, Fallout 4 (and some mods can give New Vegas that look too). I'd also argue modern Arkane games have some of that style.

I also like high detail pixel stuff, like Symphony of the Night.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Re: Do you have a graphical "style" you really like?

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I have a massive erection for good cel shaded games. Shit like Wind Waker and No More Heroes.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I have a massive erection for good cel shaded games.

You simply must play Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter, then. Don't even worry about any of the other five BoFs.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

So I know anime isn't a style per se, but I like anime style pixel art. Especially in the 16 and 32-bit games. Older stuff (eg PC-88 games) looks cool too, but I don't have enough experience with it for it to resonate as strongly as later stuff.
Phantasy Star IV, Magic Knight Rayearth, Street Fighter Alpha, Darkstalkers, Lunar: The Silver Star, Popful Mail, et al.

JUST GIVE ME THOSE PIXEL-ART ANIME CHARACTERS!
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

16-bit and early 2D 32-bit JRPGs & ARPGs for me, especially if they go heavy on the anime.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I'm gonna go with 16-bit in general. Probably mostly because that's what I grew up playing. But I also think, if I'm trying to be objective, that this era of games aged the best.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

I have a huge fondness for 8-bit nes style graphics, especially good looking 2d platformers.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I really dig the hand-drawn style of 2D games such as Warioland Shake it!, Shantae half genie hero, Guilty Gear, and BlazBlue. Those sharp animations with bold outlines look great to me. 8)
marurun

Post by marurun »

I like the late 16-bit/early 32-bit pixel-based 2D which still uses palette-driven graphics but at higher color counts, especially for side-view action games. A lot of PCE CD games, some SNES games, and early Saturn and PS1 games fall into this style. I sometimes get frustrated with modern retro games because they claim to want to mimic an aesthetic but then break critical rules related to that aesthetic. And not many modern retro games go for this higher color count style that I love, which makes me sad, because that aesthetic has fewer restrictions and therefore fewer rules to bend or break.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

Post by Forlorn Drifter »

Great stuff folks!

I'll try and get back and reply to everybody soon, between E3 and personal stuff I've been busier than I expected and haven't gotten around to it yet. Sorry!
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP