Japanese Computers

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Japanese Computers

Post by Dikdikvandik »

I really REALLY want a Japanese computer in my set up. I've mentioned a few times my collection focus these days is on Japan Imports. Got a Great haul yesterday, and I have been playing the hell out of what we'd know here as Power Instinct 2. But I digress. At this point I add an Original XBOX, and I pretty much have everything I want save for a Neo Geo,Which I'd have to sell most of my organs to afford games for, at which point I'd be dead so why bother? So next up down that rung would be maybe a Japanese Computer is what I need to complete and tie together my set up, X68000 would be great but they have a tenancy to DIE and a lot of it's games are very expensive. FM Towns would be next but again, Expensive most of it's games have better versions elsewhere. PC88 PC98 would be after that but I know NOTHING about collecting for it, where I'd get games and even what to get. MSX seems the most doable, but it's capabilities aren't what I'm looking for, I'm looking for crisp pixel art.

So does anybody collect stuff for Japanese computers?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Japanese Computers

Post by Jagosaurus »

Have you watched the Game Sack YouTube specials on MSX, NEC PC FX, & Sharp 6800?

They get a lot into main unit, accessories, needed expansions, & most importantly games. Each vid runs 30 - 40 mins. Great overview.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

I watch Game Sack on a Regular Basis so yes. The MSX doesn't really interest me, The PC FX isn't really a computer and I will watch any video on the X68000 and I DO have a full dump of it's library for emulation.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I think Jag just wrote PC-FX when he meant PC-88 or whatever.

Now, as far as this stuff goes...... Obtaining any Fujitsu, Sharp, and/or NEC hardware and software is going to require some serious cash and connections. You're probably gonna have to join some Japanese retro computer forums, as eBay is really hit or miss for this kind of thing.

The MSX is actually very good. Keep in mind that people use the term "MSX" holistically. Most of the notable games are on the MSX2, which is really a whole 'nother piece of hardware. That's where you find the expensive sought-after carts like Metal Gear and Vampire Killer + disk games like Ys, Xak, Final Fantasy, and so on...

Now, I have an MSX1. This is a fun "computer-console" system that you can hook right to your TV and play carts. Games are mostly of the simple action variety + some early JRPGs like Dragon Quest, Hydlide, The Black Onyx, and so on...
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Yeah I get those 2x mixed up. PC FX was after TG16 & the other (PC8800?) was 8 bit.

FM Towns Marty always looked awesome to me. I have a weird affinity for those console-ized computers.

I dig this thread. I've similarly really wanted to get into Euro & US machines. Not enough space so I'd have to pick 1 or 2.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

The computer I want most is a Yamaha CX5M - one of the very few (maybe the only?) MSX computers to get an American release. It was mostly aimed at musicians who wanted to integrate a PC into their setup via MIDI.

Unfortunately the prices on eBay have shot up over the past year or so and if you *just* want to play games, there are probably better options. *SOMEDAY* I hope to get one, or more specifically the second version: the CX5MII/128.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

I've really wanted an X68k for a long time, but it's just a markedly different stratosphere of collecting, in terms of price. Would also love to have an FM Towns Marty, but similar story there. A number of years ago, I was really looking into potentially getting a PC-88 in hopes of putting together FM covers of SNES music, in the most silly way possible. I found some pretty good Japanese sites for getting old NEC hardware, but it was still just too expensive and fleeting a fancy. Of course, I would still love to have a PC-88/98 and all sorts of software for it, but it's probably still too impractical for me, which is really saying something.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

I have a Sega SC3000H, mainly because it can play Mark I cartridges.

I think a MSX is the only one I would really want to get into.
Dikdikvandik
32-bit

Post by Dikdikvandik »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I think Jag just wrote PC-FX when he meant PC-88 or whatever.

Now, as far as this stuff goes...... Obtaining any Fujitsu, Sharp, and/or NEC hardware and software is going to require some serious cash and connections. You're probably gonna have to join some Japanese retro computer forums, as eBay is really hit or miss for this kind of thing.

The MSX is actually very good. Keep in mind that people use the term "MSX" holistically. Most of the notable games are on the MSX2, which is really a whole 'nother piece of hardware. That's where you find the expensive sought-after carts like Metal Gear and Vampire Killer + disk games like Ys, Xak, Final Fantasy, and so on...

Now, I have an MSX1. This is a fun "computer-console" system that you can hook right to your TV and play carts. Games are mostly of the simple action variety + some early JRPGs like Dragon Quest, Hydlide, The Black Onyx, and so on...

Yeah that's what I was afraid of I saw an FM Towns on Ebay but it was in th $500 range. X68000 I have seen outside Japan but I think I already mentioned they have reliability problems. I saw Kim Justice was restoring one not too long ago, I didn't see how it panned out.

I think the PC-88/98 might be the one to look for. It has some shmups, it has THOSE GAMES you know what I mean THOSE GAMES. wasn't that the computer Steam Hearts originally popped up on? It's just a matter of finding one and seeing what the games go for. Even if I have to go to Japan with two suit cases and start raiding Hard offs and beep in Akiba.

European side of things, probably it's own thread.... I want a Speccy, the Graphics SUCK on it about on part with Tiger LCD games, but the music that thing put out was GOLD.