I've decided - I will sell my collection

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
POOPIESkillz
8-bit

Re: I've decided - I will sell my collection

Post by POOPIESkillz »

This is something I've been thinking about a lot. I just moved into a new place with my girlfriend and packing, moving, unpacking, and organizing all my games and game-related decor plus the shelving and whatnot has been a nightmare. I have a somewhat similar collector origin as you, Ziggy. I had a ton of games (by my standards at the time) that I loved for SNES, PlayStation, PS2, etc etc that I gave away, sold to GameStop for pennies, or sold on Amazon for next to nothing. I even gave away consoles, controllers and all that (will I ever get my Sega CDX back? :( The mass exodus of my games started when I graduated high school in 2014. Someone told me "Hey, you're 18. You're too old to still be playing those video games." And I thought they were right. I must've gotten rid of 85% of my total games which were from the Game Boy to PS3. I got a shitty dead-end job at a grocery store and that was that. But something pulled at me like crazy. I had a sort of "seller's remorse" and went crazy and bought most of what I sold back (and lost a TON of cash in the process). Lesson learned there.

Anyway, so now I'm 23. I'm enrolled in college and am studying game design. I am also a (currently very low effort) YouTube content creator. So now that I'm in a nice new place, have my own game room and game and PC desk setup, there's something I've decided to do. There are games I'll take to my grave like Mega Man X that I'll never get rid of. But there are a ton I've never or hardly played. I decided to play each my games solo or with friends and record it and make content with them for YouTube as well as mental notes for game design. After that, I'll decide if the game is worth keeping or not. So at this point, I'm slowly selling certain select games off but still slowly acquiring new ones. I don't want to stop collecting but I do want to stop collecting games I don't play or care about. No more "I need a complete set of '(insert ridiculous expectation here)" for me!

Sorry for the rant! Its actually my first post on here. So thank you to anyone who read this! :D
I didn't know what to put for my signature, so I got you this box.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

@Note: definitely message me if your ever around, I have tons of indies and retro coop stuff.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Note wrote:Ziggy, just wanted to say best of luck with the transition and that you're making the right decision. I live in Queens, so I understand the gripe with the living expenses in the area.

Thanks!

Note wrote:I'm still looking for a few Genesis and SNES games I owned or played as a kid, so keep us posted on your sale!

I'm kinda dragging my feet on this. Maybe there's still a part of me that wants to keep everything lol. I really need to get going with it!

POOPIESkillz wrote:Sorry for the rant! Its actually my first post on here. So thank you to anyone who read this!

Thanks for the post, welcome to the forum, and I hope you stick around! :D

Feel free to post an introductory post in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=210
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

POOPIESkillz wrote:Sorry for the rant! Its actually my first post on here. So thank you to anyone who read this! :D

Rant away and welcome!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

POOPIESkillz wrote: I decided to play each my games (...) After that, I'll decide if the game is worth keeping or not.

I think this is the way to do it. I've come around to that as well. If I really don't like a game, then why hang on to it?
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

Ziggy, I understand regarding the sale -- I definitely have a hard time parting with things once I've had it around for a long time, and not just games. Keep us posted on your moving/relocation situation.

Pook, appreciate the offer! Will definitely send you a message if I'm in the area.

Skillz, always good to see a new user. I'm gonna check your YouTube channel out later tonight.
POOPIESkillz
8-bit

Post by POOPIESkillz »

Note wrote:
Skillz, always good to see a new user. I'm gonna check your YouTube channel out later tonight.

Thank you! I'll save you some time. My channel isn't really worth checking out yet. I'm still kinda getting a feel for it. I think I have it now, I just need to get more proficient with my editing software. All I have uploaded now is boring multiplayer gameplay and montages with some vulgar language and crude humor. Not really recommended.

On a related note, when I do upload something worth some value, is there a specific thread that I can post it for some shameless self-promotion? :lol:
I didn't know what to put for my signature, so I got you this box.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

POOPIESkillz wrote:I just need to get more proficient with my editing software.

Awesome, man! If you want, feel free to post a thread in the off topic forum about the creative process. I actually just recently bumped an old thread of mine, I've been wanting to get into creating content for YouTube or whatever for years now. If you wanted to post a thread about gear, software, specs and that kind of crap, I would definitely get in on that! I'd love to share tips and that sort of thing, but I also really love talking about the creative process!

POOPIESkillz wrote:On a related note, when I do upload something worth some value, is there a specific thread that I can post it for some shameless self-promotion? :lol:

Yep, in the Video sub forum. The only rules are that you maintain a single thread per channel, and just update/maintain that thread with new video uploads or postings.

Note wrote:Ziggy, I understand regarding the sale -- I definitely have a hard time parting with things once I've had it around for a long time, and not just games.

Oh, man, same here! Do you know that I use the same alarm clock from when I was... I don't know, probably not even 10 years old! And I couldn't tell you why I keep my father's old Black and Decker electric (corded) drill that has no reverse.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

This was a really affirming thread to catch up on. Ziggy, I'm glad you're in the same boat as me. We actually moved from Michigan to Dallas, Texas in January. I lugged all of my games and systems down here. We're limited on space moreso than in the past. Having a kid will do that. I realized that there was a lot of bulk in my collection that I didn't have any interest in playing/replaying. I ended up using the Kon Mari method to weed out a lot of games to just the ones that I still love, enjoy, and have great meaning to me. That brought me from nearly 400 to about 250 physical games. I basically reduced the library in a lot of my consoles by one third to one half. It was really tough at first, for a lot of the same reasons you've identified. Having it for so long, getting around to playing it one day, sentimental value, and definitive versions of games.

8Bit, that video was everything I needed to hear as well. Toy Galaxy really hit home a lot of fantastic points: a collection that is active and fluid, expanding / contracting, and driven by my interests. Things I've loved the most for the longest. Collecting things I like, which by extension, is things I'm going to play. What a great share, I wish I would've seen it sooner.

That's left me with my NES, Genesis, and Game Gear / GB collections from when I was a kid. My curated Dreamcast, Gamecube collections from High School, a highly condensed Wii / Wii U library, and a very small (4 games) SNES collection a friend gave me as a surprise. I have all three current-gen consoles and will get rid of my Xbox One when it's phased out. Likely will keep my PS4 and Switch, because they're awesome. Who knows, I might have a change of heart in the future and get rid of it all together, but for now I feel content with what I've kept around.
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Post by Mad_Hatter »

Best of luck with your transition Ziggy!

I think you are doing the right thing. It's not going to be easy, but you will feel good and refreshed once you get going in the process.

10 years ago, I would not have done this. But I gotta thank these flash cart guys like Krikzz. They make it easier. I can still play games on original hardware and not feel like emulation. Hell, I'm thinking of ditching my burnt-disc binders for my CD/DVD based consoles since we now have alternatives to that too (like the Saturn Rhae, and hopefully Professor Abrasive's soon to be Saturn Satiator).

I have took this route not only for my video game collection (I never had a big one anyways), but with things in general. I've been doing the minimalist approach for a couple of years now. Collections, cloths, shoes, souvenirs, books (Kindle baby), furniture, storage. Basically for the reasons you mentioned. I'm not entirely happy in my current city, so if I held onto all the crap I had, moving would be a pain. The extra cash is nice too. I hate selling things. The fees. The shipping process. So this helps me not buy new things (I don't buy something and think "oh I can just sell it later).
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread