Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

Re: Racketboy forums’ Summer Games Challenge 2019

by Key-Glyph Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:52 pm

1. Karateka (Appl2e)

I know what you're thinking! This one wasn't on my list proper. And you're right. The reason is that Karateka has been unfinished business for me for so long -- since I was about five or six years old -- that I never really had hopes of finishing it. But last night, finally, finally rescued Princess Mariko.

Karateka is hugely important to me. A cracked copy of the game came with the Apple IIe my family bought second-hand circa 1990, and I can remember the feelings of enthrallment while watching its opening cutscenes. The game's minimalistic visual storytelling is absolutely masterful. The evil warlord Akuma, pointing towards the prison cell with authority, commanding his prisoner to enter. The musical sting when the door is suddenly slammed shut. The way Princess Mariko turns and stares, motionless, as if in disbelief of her situation... and then crumpling to the floor on a six-note musical cue that pierced my tiny little baby heart.

This was the first game that made me feel so emotionally compelled that it wasn't about simply winning a game anymore; it was about my deep need to get Princess Mariko out of there. The feeling was overwhelming. I felt guilty that I never manged to save her.

If you haven't played Karateka, you will probably find its controls a little laggy and a bit stiff. But the visuals are amazing for its time, and the little details in how the scenes progress really build the tension. Jordan Mechner (Karateka was a game he designed/programmed before Prince of Persia) was aspiring to be a screenwriter and had been watching a lot of samurai films at the time, and it shows.

Woohoo!
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:54 pm

Very nice work! I've always heard that game was pretty tough.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:17 pm

It was the tensest stream Key has ever done. I'm glad I was there to witness it.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:23 pm

Thanks Bone! And I'm really looking forward to your playthrough of Kid Icarus. I haven't played it, so I'm keen on your thoughts.

MrPopo wrote:It was the tensest stream Key has ever done. I'm glad I was there to witness it.

:lol: Those full thirty seconds, waffling like a fool by the gate.
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:32 pm

And then they got their revenge by all the times you walked into a door and took damage.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:33 pm

Partridge, it’s been a while since I’ve heard of someone having almost the exact same experience as I did with Skyward Sword. :lol:

I appreciate the help, key. At this point, i’m not really concerned about the detailed info. I did end up grabbing all five of the keys before the boss. I just hadn’t gone down the elevator past the false wall once I got up to the boss room, and decided I needed to circle back because I knew I hadn’t gotten the treasure for that palace. That was when my horror began, because even after picking up the last key down that elevator, I was a key short on the passage to the flute.

There’s a phantom locked door in that room I mentioned. It shouldn’t be there. I found a similar account, but in palace 3, instead. I think I also found a (potentially) unintended workaround using a spell. I haven’t been able test it yet to see whether or not it’s just a tall tale, though. It sounds like BS, but who knows with this game.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:08 pm

If it's the spell I think it is, that's an expected workaround.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:32 pm

@key

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Awesome work. Karateka is really, really hard. That you beat it while streaming is amazing.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:36 pm

Fairy?

If that’s an intentional way to get around randomly having too many locked doors in a palace, then that’s pretty high on my list of gaming atrocities.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:04 pm

I have to believe that you did something wrong, but yes, what you did is expected as a possible way to progress; speedruns make heavy usage of it. When I did my Zelda II playthrough I never had problems with keys.
Return to General Gaming