Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Racketboy forums’ Summer Games Challenge 2019

by Ack Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:45 pm

1. F.E.A.R. 2
2. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
3. Ultima III: Exodus
4. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

And that's KOTOR down. I'm glad to finally finish this one; it's been a long time coming that I've intended to play this game, and while my interest in Star Wars has waned considerably in the 15+ years since its release, it was still a fun title. Maybe a little longer than I think it should have been, but fun nonetheless.

I don't know what I'll be playing next for this. Gonna think on it a bit.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:57 pm

Okay, whose sick joke was it to try to convince people that Zelda II is not a complete and utter abomination of game design? Seriously, I want names, dates, places of birth, employment records--the works. I need answers, dammit!

I can-- not. I cannot-- I just simply cannot even with this friggin' game! There are just so many elements of the design that are simultaneously baffling, and nightmarish--made just that extra bit worse by the translator not understanding simple orthogonal directions. I can't even begin to imagine what fresh manor of hell the people who like Zelda II must have been born into. Proponents of Zelda II, I beseech you, purify your souls with the soothing joy and rapture of Madoola no Tsubasa, Majou Densetsu II, Dragon Slayer, and Xanadu. Don't allow crappy Hydlide game tropes to sustain themselves any longer. No sane human being makes a game like this. Fight back against this tormentor!
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:02 am

I'm not a big fan of Zelda II, but your rant makes me like it more.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:25 am

You shouldn’t apologize for things that need to be tried against the Geneva Conventions, popo.
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:54 am

I am sorely slacking on the summer games challenge. I beat Mario RPG, I tried guardian legend and got frustrated with it so I dont think I will revisit it, and I was enjoying luigis mansion and still want to play it but the steam summer sale + me getting into rom hacks has pulled me away from the challenge. I really want to try and at least beat 3 more games so I can say I did half a list before the summer is over.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:39 pm

Zelda II is brutal in so many ways, but I still kinda love it.
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen

by Key-Glyph Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:19 pm

pierrot wrote:Okay, whose sick joke was it to try to convince people that Zelda II is not a complete and utter abomination of game design? Seriously, I want names, dates, places of birth, employment records--the works. I need answers, dammit!

I can-- not. I cannot-- I just simply cannot even with this friggin' game! There are just so many elements of the design that are simultaneously baffling, and nightmarish--made just that extra bit worse by the translator not understanding simple orthogonal directions. I can't even begin to imagine what fresh manor of hell the people who like Zelda II must have been born into. Proponents of Zelda II, I beseech you, purify your souls with the soothing joy and rapture of Madoola no Tsubasa, Majou Densetsu II, Dragon Slayer, and Xanadu. Don't allow crappy Hydlide game tropes to sustain themselves any longer. No sane human being makes a game like this. Fight back against this tormentor!

This amazes me pierrot, because I am just loving my playthrough of Zelda II. I enjoy it a million times more than the original Zelda, which to this day remains my least favorite of all the ones I've played (Zelda, Zelda II, LttP, Awakening, Ocarina of Time).

I made a ton of progress this past Sunday. I leveled up a bunch of stats in the process of conquering my fourth palace, which I think is actually the fifth palace chronologically -- it's just that as soon as I got the water-walking boots (and died :lol:), my curiosity got the better of me and I went off exploring before seeing that earlier palace through. I also impressed/annoyed a few NPCs enough that they actually commented on my persistence, and one of them told me about a hidden piece of heart because of this. Getting extra dialog for clicking on the same character four times in a row? Yesssss.

What I have to do now is go back to palace four and rout out the boss (I've been looking at my map and I'm pretty sure I know what route I'm overlooking), then head south past Snorlax, perhaps toward my final palace...??

Of course there's going to be something after the final palace, because this is a Zelda game. But still! We're almost to the fakeout endgame!

Seriously though, I've been enjoying the heck out of this. I think it's built to reward my specific set of gaming tendencies, so I realize it's precalibrated for my enjoyment and definitely won't be for everyone. After I finish my playthrough I'm going to buy a physical copy, and then probably play through it again right away. :lol:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:27 pm

Zelda II definitely has the roughest start of any Zelda. Once you get a few levels (especially sword levels) things start going better, and getting downstab is a massive improvement in how the game plays.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:33 pm

Key-Glyph wrote:This amazes me pierrot, because I am just loving my playthrough of Zelda II. I enjoy it a million times more than the original Zelda, which to this day remains my least favorite of all the ones I've played (Zelda, Zelda II, LttP, Awakening, Ocarina of Time).

I've never liked the original LoZ, either--, and now it just seems like a pale imitation of the original Dragon Slayer, to me. There's really only three games in the franchise that I really, really like, though: Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker. Minish Cap was also pretty good. Everything else I either don't care much about, or strongly dislike.

I will potentially keep trying with Zelda II, because I'm a damaged human being, and ultimately have to find ways to abuse myself.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:49 pm

pierrot wrote:
Key-Glyph wrote:This amazes me pierrot, because I am just loving my playthrough of Zelda II. I enjoy it a million times more than the original Zelda, which to this day remains my least favorite of all the ones I've played (Zelda, Zelda II, LttP, Awakening, Ocarina of Time).

I've never liked the original LoZ, either--, and now it just seems like a pale imitation of the original Dragon Slayer, to me. There's really only three games in the franchise that I really, really like, though: Link's Awakening, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker. Minish Cap was also pretty good. Everything else I either don't care much about, or strongly dislike.

I will potentially keep trying with Zelda II, because I'm a damaged human being, and ultimately have to find ways to abuse myself.

I was going to say that not liking LttP is an indication of you being a damaged human being.
Return to General Gaming