Racketboy forums’ Summer Games Challenge 2019

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Racketboy forums’ Summer Games Challenge 2019

Post by alienjesus »

Hello all, it’s that time again! Time for the annual Summer Games Challenge, where, for 3-4 months for the summer we aim to play through up to 10 all time classic games we’ve never played before!

This is a Racketboy tradition, dating back years and years to when now absent forum user Snickerd00dle first came up with it.

This post is up a bit later than I usually create it because U was busy getting married and being on my honeymoon ( still there now, typing on my phone, apologies for typos!). Normally we would start playing in late may or the start of June, so we’d beat come up with lists quickly!

It’s always more fun if multiple forum users play the same games to discuss, and if people discuss the games in general. So please take part, discuss with us and have fun playing some amazing games.

I’ll be posting my list later once I’ve had a chance to decide, but please post your intended lists and we can discuss!
Ack

Re: Racketboy forums’ Summer Games Challenge 2019

Post by Ack »

Dude, congratulations!

I don't know if I'll be jumping in since I'm continuing on with my FPS journey, but...well...maybe...
marurun

Post by marurun »

Hey Ack, here’s a classic FPS for you to consider as a summer challenge: Pathways Into Darkness. And then you can find yourself a copy of ZPC.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ack

Post by Ack »

marurun wrote:Hey Ack, here’s a classic FPS for you to consider as a summer challenge: Pathways Into Darkness. And then you can find yourself a copy of ZPC.

Are you heavily interested in Mac FPS games?

I've played a bit of Pathways into Darkness, though it was probably around 25 years ago when I did. I recall it being unusual and difficult, but still fun. ZPC came out after I no longer had access to a Mac, so I never got to try it. I still don't have a Mac either...
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Here is a list of 20 games I have been meaning to play, I'm the kind of person who needs options so I won't try and narrow it down to 10, but I will try and play 10 of them by the end of the summer, I am also likely to add games to the list as I think of them

1. ducktales 2 (nes)
2. guardian legend (nes)
3. Super Mario RPG (snes)
4. Pulseman (genesis)
5. thunderforce 3 or 4 (genesis)
6. golvellisu (master system)
7. popful mail (sega cd)
8. Castlevania: harmony of dissonance (gba)
9. Metroid fusion (gba)
10. avenging spirit (game boy)
11. umjammer lammy (ps1)
12. Nightshade (ps2)
13. Mega Man X8 (ps2)
14. Viewitful Joe 2 (ps2 or gamecube)
15. Luigis Mansion (gamecube)
16. Billy Hatcher and the giant egg (gamecube)
17. Ill Bleed (dreamcast)
18. Resident evil code veronica (ps2 or dreamcast)
19. Zelda: twilight Princess (gamecube)
20. Space Ace (PC)
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Thanks Ack!

Oof, not a lot of responses so far. This might be the Alienjesus summer games challenge this year it seems!?

Anyway, in the hopes of fostering discussion and encouraging others, here is my list for the year. It’s not final, but I’ll explain each option and why I chose them, and also provide a list of alternatives. I will say that I did have one rule - no more than 2 rpgs, and only if at least one of them was portable - that way I can play it on my commute and play other games in the evening!

My tentative list:
1. Shenmue 2 (DC)
2. Wii Sports Resort (Wii)
3. GoldenEye 007 (N64)
4. Either Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA) or Castlevania: The New Generation (MD)
5. Mother 3 (GBA)
6. Either Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War or Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (SFC)
7. ActRaiser (SNES)
8. The New Zealand Story (SMS)
9. Mario Party (N64)
10. Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)

Shenmue 2 is unfinished business from last year which I’m determined to see the end of. Various technical mishaps bought my efforts to an end last time, so I’m going to sort them out and pick up where I left off.

Goldeneye is an undisputed classic and one of 2 Rareware games for the system I still need to beat. The other is Mickeys Speedway USA which doesn’t really count for this!

Wii Sports Resort turns 10 next month and is one of the biggest selling games on the Wii. I think it’s a good option.

I want to play a Castlevania but I’m uncertain which one. GBA would likely be preferential because more portable games gives me a greater chance to finish this, but I think the mega drive title is probably more classic

Mother 3 is a classic RPG, is portable, and it also works for my Togehter Retro if fan translations wins, as it seems it will.

Fire Emblem also works for my translation TR. I wanted to play Thracia 776 and experience it’s britality for myself, but again, I think FE4 is probably considered the more classic one.

ActRaiser is a bit of a cult classic maybe, but it was on last years list and I never got to it. It’s also not too long.

The New Zealand story I chose because I wanted a ‘British classic’ on there. Not as in made in the UK, but a game that was popular in the UK. Taitos arcade game was pretty big on home computers here, so I went with that. The alternative was Rainbow Islands, but I went with New Zealand because I’ve owned it way longer.

Mario Party seems a safe bet for a classic. The single player might be a bit of a slog though!

MGS4 rounds off the list - I played through the first 3 games for the summer challenge years back, and I thought it was finally time to progress. This game is about to turn 11, so I don’t think it’s too new.

Here are other options I have as have considered. I could sub them in with a good argument or if someone else was to play them too:

Star Control 2
The GG Shinobi 2
Mario Tennis
Pokemon Stadium 2
Turok
Command & Conquer Red Alert
Zone of the Enders
Resident Evil 0
Heavy Rain
Flower
Layer Section
Rayman
Rainbow Islands
Shinobi SMS
Illusion of Time
Pilotwings
Windjammers
Gate of Thunder
The Legendary Axe
RType
Super Star Soldier
MUSHA
DKC Returns
Sonic Colours
The RpG list: grandia 2, Suikoden 2, Final Fantasy 2, 6, 10-2, 12, 13, Dragon Quest 2, 4, 6, 8, Valkyria Chronicles, Disgaea, Dragon Force, Fire Emblem 3, seiken densetdu 3
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Pook...take out Ducktales 2 (forgettable), Nightshade (not a classic), Ill Bleed (not a classic), Mega Man X8 (not a classic), Viewtiful Joe 2 (again...not a classic), Billy Hatcher (wut?), and Space Ace (just plain sucks). Prioritize Guardian Legend (rules so hard), Metroid Fusion (rad), Luigi’s Mansion (so much fun), and Super Mario RPG (so good).

AJ...swap out Wii Sports Resort and New Zealamd Story for Pilotwngs and Layer Section.

Now...Help me choose!

1. Shadow Tower Abyss (June Together Retro)
2. TBD (July Together Retro)
3. TBD (August Together Retro)
4-10...

Burgertime (Arcade)
Qix (Arcade)
Sinistar (Arcade)
Zaxxon (Arcade)
Crazy Taxi (DC)
Jet Grind Radio (DC)
Herzog Zwei (Genesis)
LandStalker (Genesis)
Phantasy Star III (Genesis)
Ranger X (Genesis)
Shadowrun (Genesis)
Super Baseball 2020 (Genesis)
Target: Earth (Genesis)
Thunder Force III (Genesis)
Vectorman (Genesis)
1080 (N64)
Excitebike 64 (N64)
F-Zero X (N64)
Perfect Dark (N64)
Wave Race 64 (N64)
Card Fighters Clash (NGPC)
Arkanoid (NES)
Baseball Simulator 1.000 (NES)
Baseball Stars (NES)
Double Dribble (NES)
Earthbound Beginnings/Mother (NES/Wii U)
Legacy of the Wizard (NES)
Metal Gear (NES)
M.U.L.E. (NES)
Prince of Persia (NES)
Tecmo Bowl (NES)
Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)
Bust-a-Move 2: Arcade Edition (PSX)
Devil Dice (PSX)
Final Fantasy Tactics (iOS/PSX)
Hot Shots Golf 2 (PSX)
Medal of Honor (PSX)
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee (PSX)
Road Rash (PSX)
Silent Bomber (PSX)
Silent Hill (PSX)
Twisted Metal 2: World Tour (PSX)
Quake III: Arena (PS2)
Ratchet & Clank (PS2)
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (PS3)
SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs (PS2)
SSX (PS2)
Lufia (SNES)
Metal Marines (SNES)
Blazing Lazers (TG16)
Gate of Thunder (TG16)
Lords of Thunder (TG16)
Ninja Spirits (TG16)
Legendary Axe (TG16)
Burnout 3: Takedown (XBOX)
Splinter Cell (XBOX)
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2X (XBOX)

Pick my challenge for me. Make me beat these games!
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Mon May 20, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I go home tomorrow - when I have access to a computer instead of a mobile phone on Thursday, I will definitely add some thoughts on that list. At a glance though, the N64 stuff you’ve listed is all super good and definitely classic in my eyes. F Zero X is glprious
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

@alienjesus:

1) Goldeneye is pretty trashy when you take away the nostalgia, I have zero nostalgia for that game, played through it last year and it was miserable on every level. If you don't have fond memories of the game as a youth, I would avoid it altogether.

2) Actraiser is amazing, definitely play that, one of the best soundtracks on the system and just an overall great and unique game, easily in my top 5 snes games of all time

3) I should add New Zealand story to my list, have heard great things about it but meaning to play it forever.

4) Avoid the legendary axe...or play it with save states. The game itself is actually very good, but it has the most enraging last level of all time. It is a labyrinth type level with a room for literally every letter of the alphabet, it is long, tedious, boring, and difficult, because of the last level I have no desire to ever play legendary axe ever again, liberal use of save states makes it easier, but it is still a long and boring slog.

5) Rayman, I never actually played the original, maybe I should put it on my maybe list as well, I've heard good things.

@pfsnlgamer:

1) Thunderforce 3 is on my list also, play that and we can compare notes

2) I love ninja spirits, its a great, very visually cool game, with unlimited continues. WOn't take you long to power through it so if your looking for a fun and short game to add to the list give it a shot.

3) see above for my thoughts on the dumpster fire that is legendary axe...I do love the sequel though.

4) I loved legacy of the wizard as a kid, probably too obtuse to play now without a walkthrough, I played it with Nintendo power by my side as a kid and loved it.

5) I hate vectorman with a burning passion, avoid that turd

6) Code Veronica is also on my list, I don't know if I could tolerate tank controls anymore, but it is the only RE game I have never really played and would love to finally get through it.

7) Sinistar gave me nightmares as a kid, it was in one of those space booths with speakers all around you, the floating head was absolutely terrifying to me.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Thanks, Pook! I edited my post with some thoughts on your list. Play Guardian Legend, BTW.