Racketboy forums’ Summer Games Challenge 2019

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Racketboy forums’ Summer Games Challenge 2019

Post by MrPopo »

You've just discovered why I didn't recommend it :P
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Ha, I don't mind. One of the perks of this challenge is that it always makes me think about the context under which the game was created. It's not a bad thing to go back to look at this stuff from a purely historical perspective.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

1) Started playing Super Mario RPG today, I'm glad I finally am, the game is pretty terrific so far.

2) The hate for dracula x on SNES is real, and I will continue to contend that SNES dracula X is the most under rated game of all time, and that rondo of blood on PC engine is the most over rated. To be clear, I love rondo of blood, it is an amazing game, but I also feel dracula x is. If I'm ranking the 2d non metroidvanias I would go

1. Super CV 4
2. Castlevania 3
3. Rondo of blood
4. Dracula x
5. Castlevania
6. CV the adventure rebirth
7. Bloodlines
8. CV 2

It is worth noting that I love every one of the above games, so bloodlines being 7 on my list does not make it a bad game, I just don't think it holds a candle(har har, bad pun) to the rest of the series. I'm putting that disclaimer because I know that bloodlines has a pretty rabid fan base.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'd be willing to agree with Dracula X being the most underrated in that everyone utterly hates it for being stripped down Rondo, but at the end of the day if you look at it objectively you have a competent 16-bit 'vania. Sort of like how Zelda II gets a ton of hate for not being a gameplay follow up to Zelda 1, but taken alone it's a pretty decent platformer RPG like Faxanadu.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

MrPopo wrote:I'd be willing to agree with Dracula X being the most underrated in that everyone utterly hates it for being stripped down Rondo, but at the end of the day if you look at it objectively you have a competent 16-bit 'vania. Sort of like how Zelda II gets a ton of hate for not being a gameplay follow up to Zelda 1, but taken alone it's a pretty decent platformer RPG like Faxanadu.

Agree. Dracula X on the SNES is a fine game. From a gameplay perspective, it’s both a step forward and a step back from previous games in the series, and the graphics are great. Zelda II just flat out rules. I would be delighted to see another game in the series like it. (A side-scrolling, LoZ-themed Metroidvania game! <swoon>)

You know what game doesn’t rule? Phantasy Star III, the first game I’m playing for my summer games challenge. It compensates for some of Phantasy Star II‘s issues (i.e., it’s way less grindy), but the combat is so, so dull.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Zelda 2 is a great game, I feel like most people nowadays appreciate it for what it is. The combat in that game just rules and I don't get why it has never really been emulated.

I have never played any phantasy star games, perhaps I should add one to my list, although 2 RPG's may be a bit much for me. From everything I heard if I'm going to play one of them 4 is the one to play.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

The first Phantasy Star game built up so much goodwill with me that I’ve played through PSII and will play through PSIII. PSIV is supposed to be the classic series’ crown jewel, though.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Mieu = best girl
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Image
Mieu = best girl

:D

This is true, actually. She’s the best thing about he game so far. She attacks twice in one round; she can heal the other characters, and she’s a redhead. The total package.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

So from my original list I am going to definitely play:

1) Mario RPG (currently playing)
2) luigis mansion
3) Guardian legend

I'm starting with those 3, probably in that order, and than I will revisit my list to find the next 7.