Sega Genesis Mini 2019 - Not Flashback, Not AtGames

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Sega Genesis Mini 2019 - Not Flashback, Not AtGames

Post by pierrot »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Lord Monarch.... seriously?!

During the Bikkuri Banashi live event, Miyazaki, one of the project leads, said that it was added purely because it's his favorite game on the Mega Drive, and he leveraged his executive powers to have it included as the "final" game. I like the inclusion, but it's a game I'd still kind of like to have the physical version of, anyway.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I’m going to start putting away a couple bucks so I can buy a Sega Genesis Mini. I really dig these mini consoles, and Sega Genesis is my favorite console of all time. My purchase is as inevitable as Thanos. I’m going to buy this.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Big Update:
Gamesack just posted a full video review on the Genesis Mini.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pe39YHYUQBU

My takeaways:
-It beats the heck out of any at@games clone, but it's still not the prophesied messiah.
-One of Joe's controllers was broken straight out of the box.
---Joe's Sega Saturn USB controller will not work here.
-The music sounds really really close, but not absolutely perfect.
-The sound effects are slightly delayed.
-Changing languages also changes the version of the game
-Scanlines make the picture dark
-The overall presentation is very good.
-Splitscreen Sonic 2 works well.

My Life in Gaming also posted a review today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbr5eP6KO_o

My Takeaways:
-The case design is a perfect replica.
-The Retrobit six-button controller works.
---IMPORTANT NOTE MLiG was using the "8 button Arcade Pad with USB" for PC, Mac, and Steam which has already been available, not the forthcoming retro-bit controller designed specifically for the Genesis Mini.
-Video resolution 720p
-The interface looks nice, but the control sensitivity in the menu is a little too high.
-Three ways to get back to the menu
---Reset button on the console
---Hold Start button for five seconds
---Mode button on retro-bit controller
-The Menu Music is simply a remix / medley of Yuzo's game music, not a brand new composition.
-The CRT filter does not smooth out the pseudo transparency effects.
-MLiG noted that they were nitpicking more than most consumers would.
-M2 did not include the ROM hacked versions of certain games like they did in the Sega Ages collection.

Overall, these two reviews were consistent. There's only item I cannot quite reconcile: standard PC USB controllers. Why did Joe's Saturn USB controller give no response when MLiG's Retro-bit USB controller works? I mean... I understand that Retro-bit has an official partnership in place here, but aside from business relationships, what TECHNICAL reason should there be? Why would one USB standard human interface device work, and another USB standard human interface device fail?
Last edited by samsonlonghair on Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I'm slightly disappointed it is not "the prophesied messiah" to be honest. Everything was pointing towards it being almost perfect previously. That said, it still sounds pretty damm good. I'm excited for mine, it's just a shame we have to wait an extra couple weeks in Europe (to emulate those good old days when we had to wait longer).
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
marurun

Post by marurun »

I feel like Digital Foundry really loved it, and it still seems like a quality product.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

So I'm hoping for a 6-button wireless controller that will be compatible with the Genesis mini. The Retro Bit controllers look nice, and I love that they're branded, but it looks like they're wired only.
Mad_Hatter
128-bit

Post by Mad_Hatter »

Ziggy587 wrote:So I'm hoping for a 6-button wireless controller that will be compatible with the Genesis mini. The Retro Bit controllers look nice, and I love that they're branded, but it looks like they're wired only.

I wonder if Krikzz will release a mini/USB compatible controller. Or maybe just an adapter for his current wireless 6 button.
Old Username: sp957

Systems: Genesis, Super Nintendo, Saturn, Dreamcast, Playstation 2, Xbox 360, and Windows PC
Handhelds: Gameboy Advance SP, Nintendo DSi, and New Nintendo 3DS

My Trade Thread
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Great write up Samson. I haven't had a chance to read or watch anything prior to.

In an older video Joe mentioned how old that USB Saturn controller is. I remember those being around the better part of 10 years ago. Will be interested to see if it's locked down to the retrobit controllers or just a weird compatibility quirk with an older device.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Woah, thanks for the writeup, Samson! I'm pretty hyped for this thing now. As someone who isn't a super stickler for 100% emulation fidelity, this sounds right up my alley (at least as long as my controllers come in a non-broken state :lol: ). I might even pre-order myself a Mega Drive Mini next month (as that's when my Fun Things Fund replenishes :b).

I will admit, I don't know most of the region exclusive games on the Japanese version, but I'm also pretty "meh" on most of the Western region-exclusive games, so I'm okay with getting some new stuff to try~ . The PCE Mini's near-lack of region-exclusives does make me a little miffed that this has them at all though. Especially given that so many of the games have their Japanese versions packed in there too, it is obviously not a size issue. Even if we can't play 'em, why not let all the versions have all the games? Especially Shining Force 2. Really sucks that a big (and rare) game like that is region exclusive :?

At the end of the day though, I'm just psyched to have a Streets of Rage 2, Dynamite Headdy, and Gunstar Heroes machine to plonk in front of the TV :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

The audio lag is a really weird issue, you'd think this was something M2 had noticed early on. Though it didn't seem quite as bad in MLG's video as it does in Game Sack's, for whatever reason.

I didn't have the system as a kid so I have zero nostalgia for it, but I thought this might be nice to have for Contra and Castlevania at least, I've never really played those before. I'm still not quite sure what version of the system I'd like to get, the differences between regions are pretty notable. Leaning towards the Asian version at the moment, but I wonder if that one will still include the regional variants so I could play Monster World IV and Shining Force II in English, or play Target Earth, the western version of Assault Suits Laynos.