Sega Genesis Mini 2019 - Not Flashback, Not AtGames

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Sega Genesis Mini 2019 - Not Flashback, Not AtGames

Post by Jagosaurus »

DANGGGG. It is really shaping up. Here's the 10 newly announced broken out.

No 6 button for Street Fighter CE is a bummer as mentioned. Hopefully that USB port supports the 6 buttons I linked previously.

We called most of these, but definitely wasn't expecting JPN Mega Man Wily Wars!

Mega Man: The Wily Wars
Street Fighter II': Special Champion Edition
Ghouls 'n Ghosts
Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
Beyond Oasis
Golden Axe
Phantasy Star IV: The End of the Millennium
Sonic the Hedgehog Spinball
Vectorman
Wonder Boy in Monster World

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

It's an amazing list indeed. I just wish they would stop putting guff like Sonic Spinball, Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle and Altered Beast on every single damn Genesis collection. I also wish they would sort whatever the issue is with Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles. I know the whole Michael Jackson myth, but it wasn't an issue until some point in the last 5 years or so... (Sonic 3/Knuckles were on PS2 and PS3 era collections). Otherwise, the huge amount of support for third party titles like Mega Man, Contra, Mickey Mouse and Castlevania is awesome!
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

SF2 CE & Beyond Oasis were on my longshot list. Happy to see them make the cut.

With the last 10 slots left, that changes the discussion a bit. What will we see? Would any titles push this over the edge for you?

My gut tells me these will be there:
Sonic 3
Sonic & Knuckles
Shining Force II
Revenge of Shinobi
Dynamite Headdy
Ristar
Rocket Knight Adventure
Decap Attack
Kid Chameleon

Am I missing any "gimmes" or marquee titles? Series not yet represented? No sports games yet... Mutant League or John Madden. Road Rash or Columns perhaps.

That leaves 1 spot:
Hit me with Pulseman or Crusader of Centy!

@Reprise, don't forget the PS2 collection brought in the creator of the KEGA/Fusion emulator which might have helped 3/Knucles support.

Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

@Jagosaurus Most people seem to speculate the reason why Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles haven't been re-released recently is because of licensing issues or something, because Michael Jackon was involved in composing the music in an uncredited capacity.

I think your other guesses are spot on though.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I’m hopeful for more surprises. Would be happy to see Dynamite Headdy, Ristar, and Rocket Knight Adventures; would be even happier if they left off Kid Chameleon entirely. :lol:
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I’m hopeful for more surprises. Would be happy to see Dynamite Headdy, Ristar, and Rocket Knight Adventures; would be even happier if they left off Kid Chameleon entirely. :lol:

HA! Same kid I knew down the road had Kid Chameleon & McDonald’s Treasure Land Adventure... I always opted for McD's.

Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I’m hopeful for more surprises. Would be happy to see Dynamite Headdy, Ristar, and Rocket Knight Adventures; would be even happier if they left off Kid Chameleon entirely. :lol:

Same. That's another mediocre title that always, bizarrely, seems to be treated like a 'classic' by Sega that should never be left off a collection

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

We haven't really discussed price. Is $79.99 fair?

Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

It comes with two controllers and 40 games, so I think it's fair. It certainly feels like more value for money than the SNES Mini and PS1 Classic were.

I think there's no real defence for the omission of 6 button controllers in the West though, given they will be bundled with the Japanese version. It's a very bizarre decision (even more so now we know Street Fighter is on there) and seems to be done entirely because of their deal with Retro-Bits to create authentic reproductions of the classic Genesis and Saturn control pads. Youtubers in communication with Sega are saying the Retro-Bit controllers are confirmed to be compatible (although Sega haven't said so yet), but I do wonder if there's some sort of contractual reason why Sega couldn't include them, rather than it being a cynical ploy to make everyone buy extra controllers.

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I think the price is good. Would rather $70 or the 6 button controllers at $80. The game selection definitely helps.

I was honestly planning on getting one of the Saturn USB pads for emulation. Will wait now to ensure it's compatible with mini (vs Genesis USB version only).