Sega Genesis Mini 2019 - Not Flashback, Not AtGames

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Reprise
Next-Gen

Re: Sega Genesis Mini 2019 - Not Flashback, Not AtGames

Post by Reprise »

So, if you do not want the mode button to be in the middle, you need to wait for the controller being released in August? Have I got that right. Personally, I'd prefer it to be a right shoulder button, like on the original pad.

To answer you question on the mini, yup I have if pre-ordered :)
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

That's what it looks like based on the pictures posted... but I'm building off your idea :P

I'm still SLIGHTLY hesitant to pre order based on history. Knowing M2 & Yuzo Koshiro are involved in emu & music respectively helps though.

I heard the final 10 games were going to be announced during E3. Guessing that's way too early for hands on though.

Hate to be that guy but Kega/Fusion is such a complete emulator. I'd be bummed if this was subpar.

Speaking of, moved Beyond Oasis to my emu setup to test how much the mode button helps. Assuming changing weapons on the fly would help flow significantly versus hitting a menu.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I have complete faith in M2 if I'm honest, because the Sega Ages games on Switch are just phenomenal. I really hope it's as good as I hope... My biggest concern is, being from the UK, will we get proper full screen, full speed 60hz gameplay? You'd assume so, but like I said earlier, I note we're getting the PAL Probotector (Contra: Hard Corps) and Castlevania New Generations (Castlevania Bloodstained)... Here's hoping it's just the covers they chose to represent the games in our regions and the actual games will be the NTSC versions, or they will allow us to choose between the NA or European versions of the games. Or maybe they will even find a way to get them running in the correct aspect ratio and speed. I don't know. Just don't fuck it up Sega. Contrary to what you thought in the early days of these collections, we don't want you to maintain the gimped state PAL games used to be released in because of "nostalgia" or "that's how Europeans remember the games running".
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I've read you'll be able to switch between game regions but not sure if that was just referring to JPN vs US.

Seeing that Brazil is a PAL territory and Sega has such a big following there, I'd imagine PAL regions will be taken care of.

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

M2 is the reason I have confidence that the upcoming Genesis Mini will be a great product. Can we take a moment to talk about M2?

M2 ported Gauntlet to Genesis. Then they ported Gunstar Heroes to the Game Gear.

M2 released the legendary Sega Ages collection for PS2.

M2 packaged all the Genesis games on the Wii Shop channel into emulators custom tailored to each game.

M2 included dip switch settings in the Namco collection for Nintendo DS.

M2 made the Konami rebirth games for Wiiware.

M2 released the Sega Vintage collection and Capcom Arcade Cabinet collection for PS3 and Xbox360.

M2 wrote the "Gigadrive" emulator to emulate Genesis games in 3D for the Nintendo 3DS.

M2 handled the Sega Arcade games inside the Yakuza games.

M2 understands the importance of emulating sound for Sega Genesis.
Sound is one of the biggest challenges. It's probably the thing we pour the most energy into getting right. For example, in Sonic the Hedgehog you know there's that whirring sound the spinning goal makes at the end of the level? In the emulator we built, that sound didn't work. It took us nearly a month to figure out how to reproduce that sound in the emulator! We also spent a lot of time adjusting the sound parameters to reproduce the higher frequencies of the Mega Drive correctly
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Damn straight! M2 are amazing.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Reprise wrote:Damn straight! M2 are amazing.

+1

In their spare time, they made Fantasy Zone II W, the best game in a great series and a god-tier shmup.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Considering M2’s reputation for going above and beyond, what do y’all think they can do to the Genesis Mini? Some kind of hidden features? Care to speculate?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Here, here! To M2!

samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

Cheers! M2!

I’m hoping that Super Fantasy Zone is unlockable in the USA version of the Genesis Mini.