Sega Genesis Mini 2019 - Not Flashback, Not AtGames

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Sega Genesis Mini 2019 - Not Flashback, Not AtGames

Post by samsonlonghair »

Reprise wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:I need to see Dynamite Headdy on the mini.

Oh good shout! Dammit, Sega can we please have more games? There's too many that need to be on this thing.

Even though I love the diverse selection, the deeper cuts and third-party support, it really is about time games like Alex Kidd, Altered Beast and Sonic Spinball stopped appearing in Genesis collections. They're all mediocre (at best!) games.

I got my wish! :D Dynamite Headdy is included.

In fact, there are a few treasure games here. In addition to Dynamite Headdy, we also get Light Crusader and Gunstar Heroes. The Japanese Market also gets Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyou Toitsusen. The only Treasure games that were overlooked are Alien Soldier and McDonalds Treasureland Adventure.

While we are on the subject, let me take a moment to preach on Light Crusader. This game flipping rocks! Light Crusader is an RPG-lite for people who don't like RPGs. Think of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest meets Legend of Zelda in an isomorphic point-of-view with influences from Gauntlet. The game starts out slow, but it begins to really unfold when the player discovers a hidden entrance in the graveyard. The difficulty curve is buttery smooth as the player quests deeper and deeper underground. Unfortunately, Light Crusader wasn't released until 1995... two weeks after the Sega Saturn. This late stage Sega Genesis game was lost in the shuffle of video game console generations. I think if Light Crusader had been released earlier in the Genesis lifecycle, it would be better remembered and better appreciated. Check out Light Crusader when it comes to the Genesis Mini. I recommend it. 8)
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

samsonlonghair wrote:
Reprise wrote:While we are on the subject, let me take a moment to preach on Light Crusader. This game flipping rocks! Light Crusader is an RPG-lite for people who don't like RPGs. Think of Final Fantasy Mystic Quest meets Legend of Zelda in an isomorphic point-of-view with influences from Gauntlet. The game starts out slow, but it begins to really unfold when the player discovers a hidden entrance in the graveyard. The difficulty curve is buttery smooth as the player quests deeper and deeper underground. Unfortunately, Light Crusader wasn't released until 1995... two weeks after the Sega Saturn. This late stage Sega Genesis game was lost in the shuffle of video game console generations. I think if Light Crusader had been released earlier in the Genesis lifecycle, it would be better remembered and better appreciated. Check out Light Crusader when it comes to the Genesis Mini. I recommend it. 8)

PREACH!

Light Crusader was pretty much my gateway RPG. At least it was the first game that really made me fall in love with the genre. I could honestly talk for days about that game, I really did love it, but you summed it nicely.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

The absolute madmen! They included Slap Fight MD, and Snow Bros. to the Japanese lineup! Also cool to see the Mega Drive version of Lord Monarch on there. I might even have to consider getting the Tower of Power accessories, even though they're purely aesthetic. I'm pretty happy with the Japanese version's games list. I don't really care about a lot of what they decided to put onto the Western models, so I won't bother with that. Like I said, I already have access to everything they've put on these cart based mini consoles (other than Darius, I guess? Is it supposed to be the first one?) either through legit carts, or Everdrive, but the group of games for the Japanese release is just so fantastic I have to get it.

Gunstar Green wrote:Landstalker which is similar and better.

Reprise wrote:it's obviously not the greatest Action Adventure game of all time.

You both need to take that back, right now--.

Samson gets it. I didn't even play Light Crusader until a handful of years ago, but it quickly became one of my favorites for the console. It's a top shelf game, and likely my favorite game from Treasure.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I just don't get it, sorry. The impression I got was it was bland and generic with awful combat but it was fun pushing people around. Maybe I need to give it another shot but I doubt I have the patience to wait for Stockholm Syndrome to... I mean... for it to get good.

Considering that I am usually extremely biased in favor of both Sega and Treasure I think it's safe to say this one just isn't for me.
Last edited by Gunstar Green on Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I literally cracked up out loud :lol: what an awesome option!
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Gunstar Green wrote:I just don't get it, sorry. The impression I got was it was bland and generic with awful combat but it was fun pushing people around. Maybe I need to give it another shot but I doubt I have the patience to wait for Stockholm Syndrome to... I mean... for it to get good.

Considering that I am usually extremely biased in favor of both Sega and Treasure I think it's safe to say this one just isn't for me.

I don't really like Alien Soldier, even though I also really like Treasure, so it's not something I can get worked up about. (Although you are wrong about Landstalker, objectively. Everyone already agrees on that. --We had a meeting.) How far into Light Crusader have you played, though? I had an issue fairly early on with the stellar body puzzle, because it didn't accept my answer when I had it right. I fiddled around with all kinds of combinations until I decided to just look it up, and realized that it was one I had already tried. I don't know if that's happened to anyone else, but I almost dropped the game at that point, and would have potentially written it off as a dud. The later floors are too glorious, though.

I was watching the recording of the live presentation for the Mega Drive mini, and it seems that Tetris is not the original Mega Drive version, but another arcade port to the Mega Drive by M2, like Darius. Darius is a 32 Mb game that can supposedly run on real hardware, with all umpteen bajillion bosses, and Tetris is 4 Mb (the same as Space Harrier II). They went well out of their way for this thing. It's pretty impressive, for a mini console.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

It's not really the puzzles that are a problem really, I'm not above using a guide if I have to. The core gameplay just doesn't do it for me. But I also thought similarly of Alien Soldier at first and when that game clicked for me it really clicked, mastering the controls and learning the right weapons to use really turns that game into a pretty wild ballet of action.

I'm not the biggest fan of Landstalker either to be honest but I found it charming enough to muscle through.

I'm surprised Tetris is an arcade port, but that's really cool and now it makes sense why it's an extra game like Darius.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

That Japanese line-up is pretty wild. Lord Monarch.... seriously?!
marurun

Post by marurun »

Lord Monarch was pretty popular in Japan. Falcom kept the PC ports alive for years and years.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

marurun wrote:Falcom kept the PC ports alive for years and years.

Ah hell yeah.
https://www.falcom.co.jp/monarch/
https://www.falcom.co.jp/monarch/index_e.html