Sega Genesis Mini 2019 - Not Flashback, Not AtGames

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Sega Genesis Mini 2019 - Not Flashback, Not AtGames

Post by Sarge »

Most places I've seen mention it say it's oversensitivity in the menus, but the games are fine. I don't have one to confirm, but I can believe it.

The sound delay disappoints me; it shares that with the NES Classic.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

No kidding, I did notice that in the NES Classic (especially annoying in Mega Man; the delayed jump/land sounds really throw me off). I heard it was hit or miss depending on your TV, maybe.

It's always something, right?...
I think I'm done with the "Classic" systems. Just got a PS Classic for the ease of adding games and such, but I really am set for anything else I'd need (Turbografx Classic is so tempting though).
...just another lost soul...
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

We're really not the intended market for these things, after all. To be honest, I'm wondering just why I bought the Genesis mini...
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Given that the 6-button that came packed-in with my Mega Drive Mini doesn't have a mode button, I can only assume that it's a different model than the ones y'all in the States can order for it. I'm not the biggest fan of it. I'm really used to playing a lot of these on Wii VC (it's just where I happen to first get SoR2 and Gunstar Heroes), and it feels like there's a really obnoxious amount of travel time from the moment you push down the D-pad button to the game registering that you've pushed the button, and it's all because of that weird way the D-pad is raised up a bit. Perhaps I'm just imagining that though. It certainly seemed to be the case with SoR2 yesterday, and even Dynamite Headdy to a certain extent.

I'll absolutely agree that this thing is actually $100+, and not $80. Especially for the MD Mini that only comes with one controller out of the box for the 8300 yen package, and the one that came bundled with a second controller was like 11,000+ yen. I don't have anyone to play 2-player with, so I don't care thaaat much, but I'm still considering importing one of the American 6-button or even one of their 3-button controllers just to compare and contrast the D-pad input speed for my own sake :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

nightrnr wrote:Strider for Genesis is one of the best arcade to home ports (of it's era), I'd say.

So any truth the the double input/button presses on the controllers of was that all hogwash? I'm not getting one (happy with my flash carts and physical collection), but just curious.

Like Sarge said, it's just the menu that's sensitive to button presses. Let me elaborate a little bit...

I noticed it right away in the menu. I hit the D-pad hard to the right, and the cursor moved two spaces to the right. This annoyed me for a moment, but I noticed that a light press to the right or left would move the cursor only one piece. It took me only a few minutes to get used to this change in the menu.

Once I'm in the game, the controller does not register double inputs. I think we could all agree that in-game controller input matters way more than the menu. I suppose it's possible that a different programmer worked on the menu than the programmers who worked on the emulators, but that's just speculation on my part. Maybe whoever built the menu was using a different input, like a keyboard. Speaking of which, I wonder if a USB keyboard would work. I think I'll give it a try.

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Given that the 6-button that came packed-in with my Mega Drive Mini doesn't have a mode button, I can only assume that it's a different model than the ones y'all in the States can order for it. I'm not the biggest fan of it. I'm really used to playing a lot of these on Wii VC (it's just where I happen to first get SoR2 and Gunstar Heroes), and it feels like there's a really obnoxious amount of travel time from the moment you push down the D-pad button to the game registering that you've pushed the button, and it's all because of that weird way the D-pad is raised up a bit. Perhaps I'm just imagining that though. It certainly seemed to be the case with SoR2 yesterday, and even Dynamite Headdy to a certain extent.

You're not imagining it. I noticed the increased travel the first day. I mentioned it in this thread a few days ago. I would compare the travel distance of the D-Pad to the original six-button controller, which did indeed have a fairly long travel. I think this was designed to benefit the half-circle inputs on Street Fighter II. The original Genesis three-button controller circa 1989 had a (relatively) shorter travel, but that is not the case with these new USB controllers. Whether you use the six-button version or the three-button version, you will get that long travel.

That longer travel is not bad if you're used to the six-button controller. Personally, I always preferred the three-button controller for any games that don't require six-button input. On the other hand, If you're used to the Wii Classic controller, then this would seem like an preposterous amount of travel. Without measuring, it's probably triple or quadruple the travel of the D-Pad in the classic controller.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

Ziggy587 wrote:We're really not the intended market for these things, after all. To be honest, I'm wondering just why I bought the Genesis mini...

exactly why i'm not sure if i want one. spent quite a bit of money on my genesis collection and upscalers/cables to look all nice, then just to plug this in and play roms lol?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I have to wonder in those menus, did they just not code a very good debounce routine?

Anyway, I agree that the TG-16 mini is the one that's very tempting, given the rarity of many of the titles on there. I mean, I have the real system and an EverDrive, but part of me likes to own these games legit in some form, whether it be Virtual Console or a mini console.

The two mini systems I have right now are the SNES Classic (excellent!) and the PS Classic (not excellent until modded, preferably with AutoBleem). I feel like I probably don't need more at this point...
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

RetroRGB Sega Genesis Mini - Complete Lag Test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC_mDhY4-3w
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

samsonlonghair wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:Given that the 6-button that came packed-in with my Mega Drive Mini doesn't have a mode button, I can only assume that it's a different model than the ones y'all in the States can order for it. I'm not the biggest fan of it. I'm really used to playing a lot of these on Wii VC (it's just where I happen to first get SoR2 and Gunstar Heroes), and it feels like there's a really obnoxious amount of travel time from the moment you push down the D-pad button to the game registering that you've pushed the button, and it's all because of that weird way the D-pad is raised up a bit. Perhaps I'm just imagining that though. It certainly seemed to be the case with SoR2 yesterday, and even Dynamite Headdy to a certain extent.

You're not imagining it. I noticed the increased travel the first day. I mentioned it in this thread a few days ago. I would compare the travel distance of the D-Pad to the original six-button controller, which did indeed have a fairly long travel. I think this was designed to benefit the half-circle inputs on Street Fighter II. The original Genesis three-button controller circa 1989 had a (relatively) shorter travel, but that is not the case with these new USB controllers. Whether you use the six-button version or the three-button version, you will get that long travel.

That longer travel is not bad if you're used to the six-button controller. Personally, I always preferred the three-button controller for any games that don't require six-button input. On the other hand, If you're used to the Wii Classic controller, then this would seem like an preposterous amount of travel. Without measuring, it's probably triple or quadruple the travel of the D-Pad in the classic controller.

Damn, that really sucks. Hopefully some kind of hack to let you use some other kind of USB controller input will come around sooner or later. If even the 3-button controllers have this, it's something that would've stopped me from getting the system in the first place if I could've known how badly it'd gel with me compared to what I'm used to :cry:

Thanks for the tip though. Very good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this in quite this way. I should'a remembered how you talked about it originally though XP
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:

Damn, that really sucks. Hopefully some kind of hack to let you use some other kind of USB controller input will come around sooner or later. If even the 3-button controllers have this, it's something that would've stopped me from getting the system in the first place if I could've known how badly it'd gel with me compared to what I'm used to :cry:

Thanks for the tip though. Very good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this in quite this way. I should'a remembered how you talked about it originally though XP

I will do a little experimentation on Thursday or Friday and see what kind of controller input options I can utilize on The Genesis mini.