Sega Genesis Mini 2019 - Not Flashback, Not AtGames

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Michi
Next-Gen

Re: Sega Genesis Mini 2019 - Not Flashback, Not AtGames

Post by Michi »

Damn. There be some fine game choices up in here. I wasn't really planning on getting another 'mini,' but now I'm seriously considering it.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

Unpopular Opinion: I love Kid Chameleon. I agree that it's been on virtually every collection and some variety could be good, though.

Loving this lineup so far. I am definitely down for one, as long as the emulation is good and the sound quality is there.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

It's offical, Retrobit USB controllers are compatible... but wait... it's a special version releasing in August? Keep in mind they're already out. My guess is it'll become that rev2 that's compatible.

The Retro-Bit x SEGA Collaboration brings an all-new controller exclusively designed for the SEGA Genesis® Mini. More information coming soon

These seem like conflicting verbiage though...

Okay... now seeing Revenge of Shinobi was listed for Japan this recent round. I'd think that solidifies we aren't getting it stateside or it would've been listed simultaneously.

I can't believe I forgot to mention Sunset Riders as a hopeful.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
SpaceBooger

Post by SpaceBooger »

The lack of the 6 button controller as a pack in is almost a deal breaker for me.
SEGA has released all of these game (the ones I want to play at least) in other compilations. If I can't use the official 6 button controller, I dislike the OG 3 button one it's uncomfortable to me, I will keep playing on other systems with other systems' controllers instead.
I'll keep using my s-video modded G1 or my RetroN with the OG 6 button SEGA controller instead of dropping $70.
BLOG | BST
Systems Owned: NES, Game Boy (Original, Pocket, Color & Advance SP), DSi, 3DS, Genesis, Sega CD,
Nomad, SNES, Saturn, PS1, Dreamcast, XBox, PS2, Gamecube, Nintendo DS, Wii, PSP, PS3, WiiU & XBONE.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

I really hope Shining Force II gets announced. I mean, it has to right? It's easily in my top 10 Genesis games, as it should be in anyone's list.

Edit: Confused about the 6 button controller situation. Any benefit to waiting for the controller being released in August specifically for the Genesis Mini or is the current retrobit controller already available essentially just the same thing?
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

@SpaceBooger, $79.99 8)
+ $14.99 $19.99 if you want 6 button controller

Reprise wrote:Edit: Confused about the 6 button controller situation. Any benefit to waiting for the controller being released in August specifically for the Genesis Mini or is the current retrobit controller already available essentially just the same thing?

Yeah, those banners seem to contradict themselves. Going to wait a couple of weeks & see if they clarify before ordering. I'd really like to pick up the Saturn USB controller to use on PC & mini. IMO it's the better evolution of the Genesis 6 button.
Last edited by Jagosaurus on Sat May 18, 2019 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

The current Genesis "6-button" USB controller is actually 8-button because they added shoulder buttons. My guess is that it's compatible but the version coming out in August won't have the shoulder buttons.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Nemoide wrote:The current Genesis "6-button" USB controller is actually 8-button because they added shoulder buttons. My guess is that it's compatible but the version coming out in August won't have the shoulder buttons.

The original 6 button has 1 shoulder button. The mode button is actually used in some games as an action button such as Metal Head, Doom, Lost Vikings, Fatal Fury 2, Batman Forever, Star Wars Arcade... and Beyond Oasis. (+ others)

Would be strange IMO to remove the left shoulder, keep right, & name it mode.

[Add] Looks like the mode button is right under start button versus a shoulder on current. But not in "August 2019" banner. You're probably correct. Move mode to right shoulder vs middle.

Interesting Beyond Oasis uses it to change weapons. How do you accomplish on 3 button?

okay, this is on Amazon page.
https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Offici ... B07P37ZGTF

Looks like current version will work. Saturn USB page also says this.
https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Bit-Offici ... B07NZ2T32L
Last edited by Jagosaurus on Sat May 18, 2019 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

The games list is looking incredible. I do prefer the 6-button controller, but I have a lot of Genesis games and almost every one still on my wish-list has been revealed for the mini. I'm super pleased with Beyond Oasis making the list and hoping for Rocket Knight Adventures to make it as well. Also, very interested in playing Wily Wars. :D
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

First, has any1 pre-ordered the mini yet?

Okay was on mobile earlier. Wanted to post these here, going on Reprise's train of thought. I think he's right and we'll be getting a more traditional USB version for the Genesis (no L trigger, mode in original spot).

Notice in pics below the current USB Genesis controller has a mode button under start, when on the original it was really a right trigger (no left trigger present) + L & R triggers. The previously posted "Coming August" banner (in spoiler tab below) lacks this middle mode button. MAYBE... probably... my eyes are playing tricks on me but I think I see a slight bump indicating the mode button on top right.

Also the Amazon listings have been changed to:
Retro-Bit Official Sega Genesis USB Controller 8-Button Arcade Pad for Sega Genesis Mini, PC, Mac, Steam, RetroPie, Raspberry Pi - USB Port - Clear Blue

Retro-Bit Official Sega Saturn USB Controller Pad for Sega Genesis Mini, PC, Mac, Steam, RetroPie, Raspberry Pi - USB Port - Slate Grey

Unfortunately, I've seen a few reviews saying the build of the Saturn D Pad is suspect with breaking plastic internally (on both Amazon & Castlemania Games). The USB Genesis side of the house is getting great reviews. I'm now leaning towards this model. I think you're safe ordering the current Genesis USB pad for the mini, but I'd dig into the Saturn USB reviews although it does seem to be supported also.

Interesting note from a Beyond Oasis FAQs on 6 button controller. Seems it is more fluid with this pad:
would heartily suggest a 6-button controller for
this game. Find one that has a good D-pad and dive right in! You'll be able
to change weapons on the fly and access menus faster!

Button X - Accesses Map screen
Button Y - Accesses Weapons options
Button Z - Accesses Items options

Beyond Oasis (also uses the mode button for weapon switching as MODE+B)

Mode in middle

No mode in middle. Coming in August banner: