Sega Genesis Mini 2019 - Not Flashback, Not AtGames

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ziggy

Re: Sega Genesis Mini 2019 - Not Flashback, Not AtGames

Post by Ziggy »

It's kind of unbelievable that Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles aren't included. Is it because of popularity? Or so they wouldn't have to mess with the lock on technology? I mean, I get it. My vote would to just have Sonic 3 & Knuckles as the only option, but there's people that would want to play one or the other not locked on. Then you have to allow to lock on Sonic 2, or people will bitch about that too. But I mean, this is 2019. We had Sonic 2 and 3 lock on working in past Sonic compilations, so there's no reason it couldn't be possible here. So I'm guessing they were left out just due to popularity. I know someone mentioned back somewhere in this thread that Sega polled Japan to see what games they should include, and I see that the Japan version doesn't include Sonic 1!

BTW, this page has an easy view for which games are included in all three region versions of the console: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Genesis_Mini#Games
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Ziggy587 wrote:It's kind of unbelievable that Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles aren't included. Is it because of popularity? Or so they wouldn't have to mess with the lock on technology? I mean, I get it. My vote would to just have Sonic 3 & Knuckles as the only option, but there's people that would want to play one or the other not locked on. Then you have to allow to lock on Sonic 2, or people will bitch about that too. But I mean, this is 2019. We had Sonic 2 and 3 lock on working in past Sonic compilations, so there's no reason it couldn't be possible here. So I'm guessing they were left out just due to popularity. I know someone mentioned back somewhere in this thread that Sega polled Japan to see what games they should include, and I see that the Japan version doesn't include Sonic 1!

BTW, this page has an easy view for which games are included in all three region versions of the console: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Genesis_Mini#Games

Thanks for the link! That makes things SO much easier to reference than the site I was looking at before XP

There are SO many "Why?" inclusions on this thing, even past nostalgia stuff. Like, why exactly is Sonic 3 not on any of these while the Western version (that comes with only a 3-button controller) has Eternal Champions as a region exclusive? O_o
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Reprise wrote:I'm slightly disappointed it is not "the prophesied messiah" to be honest. Everything was pointing towards it being almost perfect previously. That said, it still sounds pretty damm good.

I feel the same way. Hype will do that to you, man. I feel like I got caught in the sonic cycle one last time.

Jagosaurus wrote:Great write up Samson. I haven't had a chance to read or watch anything prior to.

In an older video Joe mentioned how old that USB Saturn controller is. I remember those being around the better part of 10 years ago. Will be interested to see if it's locked down to the retrobit controllers or just a weird compatibility quirk with an older device.

Thanks for saying so, Jag. :D

I have one of those USB Saturn controllers too. I got mine when it was cheap, around 2009~ish based on a tip I got on this forum. They were old then. I guess they came out when Sega released Puyo-Puyo Fever on Macintosh computers circa 2004.
A cursory search indicates that USB1.1 was standardized in 1998. Source - http://esd.cs.ucr.edu/webres/usb11.pdf
That said, yeah they didn't always strictly respect the USB standard back in those days. Some devices drew slightly more or slightly less power than the specified +5 volts.

I'm likewise curious if this is locked down to an approved list of controllers, or if it's just an odd incompatibility issue. Can I use my Microsoft Sidewinder, my PS3 controller, or my USB arcade controllers? How about all my USB adapters?

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Woah, thanks for the writeup, Samson! I'm pretty hyped for this thing now. As someone who isn't a super stickler for 100% emulation fidelity, this sounds right up my alley (at least as long as my controllers come in a non-broken state :lol: ). I might even pre-order myself a Mega Drive Mini next month (as that's when my Fun Things Fund replenishes :b).

I will admit, I don't know most of the region exclusive games on the Japanese version, but I'm also pretty "meh" on most of the Western region-exclusive games, so I'm okay with getting some new stuff to try~ . The PCE Mini's near-lack of region-exclusives does make me a little miffed that this has them at all though. Especially given that so many of the games have their Japanese versions packed in there too, it is obviously not a size issue. Even if we can't play 'em, why not let all the versions have all the games? Especially Shining Force 2. Really sucks that a big (and rare) game like that is region exclusive :?

At the end of the day though, I'm just psyched to have a Streets of Rage 2, Dynamite Headdy, and Gunstar Heroes machine to plonk in front of the TV :lol:

You're welcome! :D I'm likewise eyeing that pre-order button, and I've never preordered any game in my life.

I think you're right about region exclusivity. I wouldn't be surprised if someone hacks the Genesis mini to restore all the games from other regions.

Those three games you mentioned are among my favorites.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Ziggy587 wrote:It's kind of unbelievable that Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles aren't included. Is it because of popularity? Or so they wouldn't have to mess with the lock on technology?

Internet speculation points toward the whole Michael Jackson music issue. Maybe whoever owns a stake in his estate is holding this up in a legal quagmire. We haven't seen Sonic 3 included in a Sega compilation ever since Jackson's death.

More reviews are rolling in.

Modern Vintage Gamer gave a first impression
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHkFCLxf62Q

My Takeaways
-MVG praised M2 as "hands down the best emulation development in the business"
-Three button controller feels good, albeit a little stiffer.
-Cables are included
-MVG called Yuzo Koshiro's menu music excellent. He noted that is uses the same sound chip as the Genesis.
-MVG expected more video filter options than this.
---MVG doesn't like the CRT filter
---4:3 or 16:9 options
-MVG called sound good on first impressions (he's a stickler for sound).
-New system-on-a-chip that MVG has never seen before (and this guy knows his chips).
---ZUIKI Z7213 is an allwinner SoaC, but there's not much information available.
---MVG emailed the company to ask for specs, but got no reply.
-Good value at $79.99 with 42 games.

Spawn Wave gave the system a glowing review.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKbUT-a1LkA

My Takeaways
-Included the power supply (5volt 1amp) and the hdmi cable in nice packaging
-System case looks very detailed and accurate.
---Spawnwave
-Cartridge slot, volume slider, and expansion port all move despite having no real function. They just look cool.
-Megaman Wily Wars plays better than it does on real Genesis hardware with considerably less slowdown.
-Spawnwave commended M2 for their emulation work.
-Eternal Champions and Street Fighter II are (obviously) hard to play with the three button controller.
-Screen settings are lackluster. No smoothing filter.
-Spawnwave is annoyed by the Streets of Rage 2 sound effect being played in the menu. :lol:
-Pressing B button during the menu allows you to see all the games spines on one screen.
-Sega put a little bit of foam around the L.E.D. buld to cut down on light bleed. Nice attention to detail
-The System-on-a-chip seems unique to the Genesis Mini. ZUIKI Z7213
---Spawnwave could not find much information online regarding this chip. He knows it's an allwinner.
marurun

Post by marurun »

On a podcast recently I heard a good argument for the inclusion of the 3-button controller in the US. During the true heyday of the system, people were accustomed to playing with the 3-button controller. If you're tapping into nostalgia you want to give people something familiar that they remember, and most Genesis players who played as kids were playing with the 3-button pad. The dedicated fans are probably willing to spot a little extra to pick up a 6-button pad, but if Sega's going for that nostalgia appeal, using the classic model 1 design, sticking with the 3-button controller, and packing in some classic titles that were popular then but maybe don't hold up as well to modern scrutiny is all pretty consistent. It's all about tapping into memories of being a kid with a 3-button pad in your hand playing games.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Interesting Samson. I never knew Poyo came out on Mac. Sega also had the Nvidia Diamond Edge graphics card that made several Saturn ports playable on PC. I assumed that was possibly the origins of the USB Saturn controller.... although that's more like 20 years. Time flies.

Are we taking bets on how long until this thing is cracked?

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

I just can't wrap my mind around including street fighter 2 and eternal champions and not including a 6 button controller. These 2 games are not playable with a 3 button controller and they simply should not have been included if sega insisted on packing in a 3 button controller. Before someone tries to correct me saying something like "well you can play them, they are just harder" understand how false that statement is. If you have any interest in even being decent at these games you need a 6 button controller...also balrog becomes literally unplayable in street fighter with a 3 button controller, fighting games understand why, if you dont, ask me.

I think having region locked games is idiotic, these old games are tiny, my entire US romset of genesis games is about 500mb, my entire global genesis game collection is about 2gb, there is no reason that all the regions could not have included all the games, this would not have cost sega any more money but it would have produced a much better product.

I know I am not the market for these mini-systems, I am very happy to emulate everything on my laptop, hook my laptop up to my tv, play with any controller I want, and play any game from any region, translated if I want, and play romhacks on top of that. I get why these things sell the way they do, largely because people have a lot of false information about the ease of emulation, but I feel that every one of these mini-systems are missing some pretty obvious features, and offer some really lackluster games.

Not saying all of the games are lackluster, there are definitely some gems on this system, but also loads of missed opportunities and games that are truly terrible(like kid chameleon)
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

pook99 wrote:I just can't wrap my mind around including street fighter 2 and eternal champions and not including a 6 button controller. These 2 games are not playable with a 3 button controller and they simply should not have been included if sega insisted on packing in a 3 button controller. Before someone tries to correct me saying something like "well you can play them, they are just harder" understand how false that statement is. If you have any interest in even being decent at these games you need a 6 button controller...also balrog becomes literally unplayable in street fighter with a 3 button controller, fighting games understand why, if you dont, ask me.

I think having region locked games is idiotic, these old games are tiny, my entire US romset of genesis games is about 500mb, my entire global genesis game collection is about 2gb, there is no reason that all the regions could not have included all the games, this would not have cost sega any more money but it would have produced a much better product.

I know I am not the market for these mini-systems, I am very happy to emulate everything on my laptop, hook my laptop up to my tv, play with any controller I want, and play any game from any region, translated if I want, and play romhacks on top of that. I get why these things sell the way they do, largely because people have a lot of false information about the ease of emulation, but I feel that every one of these mini-systems are missing some pretty obvious features, and offer some really lackluster games.

Not saying all of the games are lackluster, there are definitely some gems on this system, but also loads of missed opportunities and games that are truly terrible(like kid chameleon)

Yeah, SF2 and Comix Zone really need the six-button controller. I'm going to have to budget some extra money for that.

You know what? I prefer the three-button controller for the majority of Sega Genesis games. It feels better in my hands.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Granted I won't have anyone to play it with anyhow, but it does really suck that the 8000 yen version in Japan only comes with one controller, and the 2-controller version is over 10,000 yen :?
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

samsonlonghair wrote:You know what? I prefer the three-button controller for the majority of Sega Genesis games. It feels better in my hands.

I'm in agreement with this. I'll only pull out the 6-button controller for a game that actually requires it.