Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Sega Genesis Mini 2019 - Not Flashback, Not AtGames

by samsonlonghair Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:20 pm

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:Given that the 6-button that came packed-in with my Mega Drive Mini doesn't have a mode button, I can only assume that it's a different model than the ones y'all in the States can order for it. I'm not the biggest fan of it. I'm really used to playing a lot of these on Wii VC (it's just where I happen to first get SoR2 and Gunstar Heroes), and it feels like there's a really obnoxious amount of travel time from the moment you push down the D-pad button to the game registering that you've pushed the button, and it's all because of that weird way the D-pad is raised up a bit. Perhaps I'm just imagining that though. It certainly seemed to be the case with SoR2 yesterday, and even Dynamite Headdy to a certain extent.

You're not imagining it. I noticed the increased travel the first day. I mentioned it in this thread a few days ago. I would compare the travel distance of the D-Pad to the original six-button controller, which did indeed have a fairly long travel. I think this was designed to benefit the half-circle inputs on Street Fighter II. The original Genesis three-button controller circa 1989 had a (relatively) shorter travel, but that is not the case with these new USB controllers. Whether you use the six-button version or the three-button version, you will get that long travel.

That longer travel is not bad if you're used to the six-button controller. Personally, I always preferred the three-button controller for any games that don't require six-button input. On the other hand, If you're used to the Wii Classic controller, then this would seem like an preposterous amount of travel. Without measuring, it's probably triple or quadruple the travel of the D-Pad in the classic controller.

Damn, that really sucks. Hopefully some kind of hack to let you use some other kind of USB controller input will come around sooner or later. If even the 3-button controllers have this, it's something that would've stopped me from getting the system in the first place if I could've known how badly it'd gel with me compared to what I'm used to :cry:

Thanks for the tip though. Very good to know I'm not the only one experiencing this in quite this way. I should'a remembered how you talked about it originally though XP

I will do a little experimentation on Thursday or Friday and see what kind of controller input options I can utilize on The Genesis mini.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:10 pm

Fascinating results on input lag and audio latency. A lot of the comments seem to indicate that the audio lag is variable, which means it may be more of an emulation bug than a global latency thing. Weird stuff for sure.

The variable input latency also throws me off; very strange stuff, but I suppose that could come down to how the controllers are implemented and how they interact with the OS.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

by samsonlonghair Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:15 am

Sarge wrote:Fascinating results on input lag and audio latency. A lot of the comments seem to indicate that the audio lag is variable, which means it may be more of an emulation bug than a global latency thing. Weird stuff for sure.

The variable input latency also throws me off; very strange stuff, but I suppose that could come down to how the controllers are implemented and how they interact with the OS.

My gut tells me that this might have something to do with different TV sets.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:04 pm

So y'all know there's a whole scene of people who hack these mini consoles. That's not exactly what this post is about. Something interesting turned up when dumping files off the Genesis Mini. There's a .json file which indicates that at some point, there was meant to be a music player for the Genesis Mini that would play sound files from various games. This .json file isn't the music player application itself; rather, it's more like a music directory which could be used to generate playlists. The really interesting part is that it contains references to games which did not get included in the final release of the Genesis mini.

Here's a few lines of code. The whole .json file is 5015 lines long, so I won't post the whole thing.
Code: Select all
{
    "arrenge_sound": [
        "system/sound/bgm_menu_AlexKiddInMiracleWorld",
        "system/sound/bgm_menu_TheSuperShinobi",
        "system/sound/bgm_menu_MonsterWorld3",
        "system/sound/bgm_menu_MonsterWorld4",
        "system/sound/bgm_menu_SuperHangOn",
        "system/sound/bgm_menu_MonsterLand",
        "system/sound/bgm_menu_BareKnuckle",
        "system/sound/bgm_menu_BareKnuckle2",
        "system/sound/bgm_menu_BareKnuckle3",
        "system/sound/bgm_menu_GoldenAxeAC",
        "system/sound/bgm_menu_GoldenAxe2",
        "system/sound/bgm_menu_GoldenAxe3",
        "system/sound/bgm_menu_toejam1",
        "system/sound/bgm_menu_toejam2"
    ],
    "soundplayer": [
        {
            "arch": "sms",
            "arr_volume": 0.68,
            "game_id": 1,
            "game_title_max": 1,
            "game_title_min": 1,
            "motion_ch": "gaugeset_sms",
            "patch": [
                {
                    "address": 179,
                    "org": 83,
                    "patch": 178
                }
            ],
            "preamp": 11.0,
            "romfile": "roms/AlexKiddInMiracleWorld_Sound.BIN",
            "sound_fadetime": 2,
            "sound_list": [
                {
                    "length": 6,
                    "loop": 0,
                    "req": [
                    ],
                    "title": {
                        "eng": "Title Song",
                        "jpn": "タイトル"
                    },
                    "type": 1
                },

Each of the listed games have multiple sound files listed with titles in english and japanese (and in some cases multiple european languages as well). You can see in the example below that the sound file is 52 seconds long. "req" is an object that contains information about the request. I believe that in this file the "req" number is a reference to find the sound file inside a database. No two sound files appear to have the same "req" number.

Code: Select all
                {
                    "length": 52,
                    "req": [
                    ],
                    "title": {
                        "eng": "Petit-Copter",
                        "fra": "Petit-Copter",
                        "ger": "Peticopter",
                        "ita": "Peticopter",
                        "jpn": "プチコプター",
                        "spa": "Peticopter"
                    },
                    "type": 1
                },

Maybe during an earlier prototype of the Genesis mini this sound player could have been used to play music for the menu. That's just my speculation. :?:
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

by samsonlonghair Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:29 pm

It seems that the Genesis Mini has been successfully hacked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Un6sJluZE

modmyclassic wrote:TL;DR, what do we know?
The SoC is a cheap clone of a Allwinner A33. https://linux-sunxi.org/A33
The USB cable supplied is POWER ONLY. You will need your own USB with data to connect it to PC
The Front USB ports are locked down to only a few speicifc gamepads and usb hubs. USB memory sticks will not work. (We will change this when we build the new kernel/u-boot)
It is the same specs as the (S)NESC
To boot the console in FEL and connect it to the PC you need to hold the reset button and plug it in to the PC
There are two secret test modes that can be enabled using an official 3 button and 6 button gamepad. (PM one of us if you have this combo so we can get some notes)
.rodata:00017280 00000047 C 1P: A+B+C+START = Stress Test\n1P: START + 2P: X+Y+Z = USER Mode change
A full list of roms available (on the us release at least) is here: https://pastebin.com/8dkqF3Um
We have a full dump of the rootfs
The emulator used on the Mega Drive is m2engage. It’s closed source and also supports emulation of other consoles. It’s the same emulator used on the Wii U Virtual Console
All the data for roms and scripts for the UI are encrypted and compressed on the NAND. We have decrypted it
There are scripts available which directly interact with the UI meaning that customising the UI should be easy
To put custom content on the console using the stock UI will require decrypting, decompressing the payload, modifying, recompressing, encrypting and uploading. A new hack tool is being developed to handle this.
Return to General Gaming