We need to talk about BioShock 2...

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

We need to talk about BioShock 2...

Post by Ack »

Well, I finished my run of BioShock Remastered last week and finally started playing BioShock 2. I went with the original, not the Remastered release, since I've never tried either version. Unfortunately, trouble started almost immediately.

BioShock 2 builds upon some aspects of the original game...and completely ruins others. The first problem is that the controls have been remapped in ways that don't make much sense. The info button got bumped from H for Hint to M for Map. How the player swaps between weapons and plasmids is completely reworked, and there are repeated problems with plasmids swapping and the correct menus not popping up when you swap. While the prompts are generally PC controls, there are repeated controller commands in menus regardless of whether you are using one. Most frustrating though is that the health kit button was swapped to Left Ctrl, which is often used for Crouch. I don't know how many times I've hit it on accident while meaning to duck instead.

It isn't all bad though. There are some great improvements to weapons and plasmids that I appreciate. The new video recorder takes the place of the first game's camera, and it rewards you for filming and then using a variety of means to fight. The info menu also lists your progress for each type of enemy, as well as the rewards you obtain for each new level unlocked. This is a much welcomed upgrade on the first game's system. The weapon upgrade system is also nice, with each weapon getting a third enhancement that changes how it functions once the first two upgrades have been unlocked. Many of these changes now add elemental damage chances across the gamut of ammo types.

The biggest problems I have with the sequel are the inability to backtrack levels, which was a wonderful feature of the original, and just how weak the player feels at the start. The lack of backtracking makes the game feel less like a proper sequel and more like a DLC from a company that didn't understand the original game. Considering it's a different division of 2K Games, I guess I shouldn't be hugely surprised. As for player power, I'm playing a Big Daddy in BioShock 2, a walking tank in a diving suit. So why is a single basic splicer able to chunk my health at the get go? As the game progresses, a lot of this gets mitigated by upgrades and improvements, but you start off feeling like a wet paper bag with about as much stopping power as a spitball, and you're slow to get much better. Also, those splicers like to respawn pretty fast. Like step outside the room, turn around, and they're already back.

I've also encountered some technical issues, such as a couple of crashes and even being able to climb outside of the level in one area into an enemy spawn point. It makes the sequel feel sloppy more than anything. I have problems with the original BioShock, but it looks a whole lot better put together after playing this one.
MrPopo

Re: We need to talk about BioShock 2...

Post by MrPopo »

I definitely agree regarding how weak you feel; when you get suited up at the end of Bioshock 1 you're already at the game's peak power. Starting off as a basic FPS protagonist who is supposed to be the giant assholes from the first game just didn't feel right. I didn't have the control issues you did because I always do a major remap of my controls for FPS's (I don't use WASD), so everything was where I expected it. You also didn't mention the bee plasmid, which is the best plasmid ever.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

MrPopo wrote:You also didn't mention the bee plasmid, which is the best plasmid ever.

That one was in the first BioShock, but I didn't really go into how hilariously awesome the upgraded versions are. The bee plasmid at max level now causes the swarm to build a hive in a corpse, so any enemies coming near will suddenly get attacked. It is both gross and an awesome idea.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Woo, another technical problem. For some reason, the game won't always go into fullscreen, it will boot up in a window. When that happens, I'm unable to change video options, and the only solution seems to be restarting the game.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

I've always had Bioshock 2 as my favorite of the 3. It's just so much more fun to actually PLAY than the other two. I really did not like the combat in the first Bioshock: all the guns felt like wet tissue paper bullets so I just used a wrench for anything that wasn't a Big Daddy. Bioshock 2's combat feels so much more meaty, especially with actual dual-wielding. The story isn't quite as good as the first game in the main game, but Minerva's Den's writing is SO good. Minerva's Den is a really solid piece of Bioshock completely worth checking out if you aren't totally sick of Bioshock yet XD

I played it on PC like 4 or 5 years after I'd played the first game on PC, so I haven't had the issues with rebound controls you have. However I've 100% had weird key bindings completely ruin a game for me on PC, so I totally empathize with you there. Especially for a sequel to change something so fundamental, I just don't get the logic behind it O_o . I had SUCH a hard time with Yakuza 2 becuase they CHANGE THE DODGE BUTTON FROM X TO O from the first game! W H Y ???
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ack

Post by Ack »

Well, I've made it through BioShock 2's base campaign and am now a good chunk of the way through Minerva's Den, and yeah, this feels a lot better. It's still linear, but there is an openness to the maps that makes me feel like I'm setting my own pace and exploring as I want to explore.

I also appreciate the story of Rapture's central computer; it's a nice offshoot from the "Randian evils/Marxist evils" that I was getting from the base games. I'm not using the new Gravity Well plasmid much beyond puzzle solving, but the laser is my weapon of choice here, and I am loving it. I wish it was in the base game.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I have yet to play the DLC, but Bioshock 2 was definitely my least favorite of the three. It felt like the first game but uninspired to me.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Ack wrote:Well, I've made it through BioShock 2's base campaign and am now a good chunk of the way through Minerva's Den, and yeah, this feels a lot better. It's still linear, but there is an openness to the maps that makes me feel like I'm setting my own pace and exploring as I want to explore.

I also appreciate the story of Rapture's central computer; it's a nice offshoot from the "Randian evils/Marxist evils" that I was getting from the base games. I'm not using the new Gravity Well plasmid much beyond puzzle solving, but the laser is my weapon of choice here, and I am loving it. I wish it was in the base game.

So glad you're tackling the DLC and enjoying it! It really is the best part of a game that's already so good UwU
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ack

Post by Ack »

Yeah, the Minerva's Den DLC has been my favorite part of the entire BioShock run so far, across both of the original games. The plot focused much more on the human element of a man trying to deal with loss while under a tyrannical regime. That humanizing element is what gave it a greater emotional weight that I didn't feel in the base games.

Plus the laser was cool.

I'm now busily waging war against the Family in the Protector Trials. I'm a little over 2/3 of the way through. After that comes multiplayer, which may be the biggest hurdle, since it's almost entirely dead.