Being a Gamer VS Being a Retro Gamer

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Being a Gamer VS Being a Retro Gamer

Post by Gunstar Green »

Key-Glyph wrote:
marurun wrote:
Ack wrote:Well hello there. Have you heard the good word, friend? Shaq-Fu ain't that bad.

Oh gawd, another one of those door-to-door Shaq-Fu-vangelists. Go away! The sign says no soliciting!

I laughed out loud at this. Thanks guys. You too, Erik-Twice. Tell 'em like it is!

is hiding the fact she's a fake gamer™ as a result of never having played Shaq-Fu :shock:

:lol:

You know what you must stream.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

But then redeem yourself with the new Shaq Fu which is an objectively fun if still flawed game.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

Post by marurun »

I have never read someone calling a game objectively fun before.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I flip-flop all over the place. I play a lot of retro (which gives me lots to talk about on HRG), but prior to last year, my ratio was like 70-30 modern to retro in terms of time spent. But that is almost completely attributable to the length of most modern games. I guess it speaks well to them that they are able to hold my attention for that long.

My most recent "wow" game was God of War (2018) as far as modern is concerned. But most of my stuff this year has been retro. I did a ton of Master System stuff in March, and I'm trying to finish Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos soon. But I will burn out on one or the other soon.

I don't usually let games sit around in shrink wrap, but I definitely will play a game for 15 minutes and then fail to pick it up again for years.
jvalentine98
64-bit

Post by jvalentine98 »

The only game series I keep up with anymore is Resident Evil. Silent Hill died or I would keep up with it. My PS4 collection consists of mostly remasters. It is a really good system for an older gamer in that it has so many.

Capcom alone has ported several of the Resident Evils, Devil May Cry, Megaman, SF, Onimusha...Now if only they would get around to Dino Crisis.
They have escaped into the mansion where they thought it was safe, yet.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

I've been a dedicated Retro-gamer for years and years. The last time I had a current-gen system during its lifetime was... um... the Playstation I got for Christmas 1996 I guess. Even then I spent more time playing Sega Genesis than Playstation.
I didn't get a PS2 until after the PS3 came out.
I didn't get a PS3 until after the PS4 came out.
I didn't get a Gamecube until after the Wii came out.
I didn't get a WiiU until after the Switch came out.
I didn't get an XBOX until after the 360 came out.
I still don't have a 360.
I don't even know what a PS4 looks like. I assume it looks like a generic black box, but that's just because I'm picturing an XBOX ONE in my head.

I admit that a major factor in this retro-gaming lifestyle has been money. It's always cheaper to buy last-gen systems and games. Now I'm almost to a place where I could comfortably buy a current-gen console with a little bit of saving up, but I don't have an interest in doing so. I'm set in my ways now.
Ack

Post by Ack »

There's a PS4?!

As for me, my console stuff is pretty much older at this point. I play newer games on PC, as well as older games. I play newer games mainly with friends, and folks have bought me some games over the years that I have slowly been getting to, but it's taking a while. I just have a lot to play, so I try to get to what I can when I can. I have felt a drive to play more stuff from the 2000s in the last couple of years.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Ack wrote:There's a PS4?!

Who knew?! :lol:
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

samsonlonghair wrote:
Ack wrote:There's a PS4?!

Who knew?! :lol:

Yes, and I've played the latest and most cutting edge games on it.

Games I've played on PS4 so far...

Grand Theft Auto III
Castlevania Dracula X Rondo of Blood
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

I really like the PS4. Bloodborne and Spider-Man were great. It's also got my Gundam games. I'm excited that the PS5 will be backwards compatible for once.