My first MMO

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
korvd

My first MMO

Post by korvd »

More than a decade ago a friend from college introduced me to MMOs. I stopped by to invite him to the party we were having next door, but he was glued to the screen and said he couldn’t make it. Some after he apologized and told me that he was attending what’s called siege in Lineage 2 and showed me screenshots of his hypersexualized female dark elf character. “Sorry, mate, we needed everyone to win this. My clan’s the best! You know Lisa, right? She’s our support”. So I decided that one way to hit on her was to start playing. :mrgreen:

At first I was overwhelmed with what massively multiplayer online games have to offer me who mostly played single RPGs before. Eager to explore this new universe, I wasn’t picky when creating my character and ended up playing another brawny melee duelist. Following the initial quests I got immersed into Lineage overnight and hardly noticed that one may call the MMO approach to storytelling superficial. And who even cares when you get your first D grade gear from Execution Grounds and go for your first raid with your clanmates. It’s the visual style of Lineage 2 which turned out to be quite friendly - not too flashy, excellent balance between middle ages and fantasy - that got me chained to the screen. There’s even a replica of the Notre-Dame cathedral… I am still humming Giran theme when I am writing this and I had fanart of Cruma Tower as screensaver on one of my old phones. Not to overlook social aspect of the game, discussing the game in chat and teamspeak was almost as enjoyable. 8)

As it usually is with your first toons, I hardly followed any advice and got quickly upset that my Gladiator designed to decide fates couldn’t put up a fight. So I put some hours into reading wiki and guides on forums trying to understand how the world of this game works. After that the game would finally grant me a nice feeling of progress and accomplishment and grinding won’t be a drag anymore, especially when everybody at my party mastered their characters. It’s funny how I got half of my high level equipments as a prize for contributing to the clan activities. Soon I got reasonably good at understanding how various classes should be played, their role in party and limitations. It was time to make my next character, so I chose Hawkeye. And that’s when Lineage 2 shined at its finest.

When you’re fairly decently leveled, mass open-world PvP just never ends. You get killed over a quest mob? Comeback with your friends and take that culprit and get his yummy weapon. Out of all MMOs I played after, Lineage 2 is the only game where I felt that death really matters, you always feel challenged. Although playing solo is acceptable, being a member of a huge clan is where all the fun’s at. Explosive fights for weekly raid bosses and long castle sieges. I remember my hands shaking during my first siege and the tears of joy after the first win. In other games I miss seeing huge clan alliances rise or decay on behalf of mischievous treachery. Game of thrones are children’s fairy tales compared to war between TwilighT and Syndicate’s “russian mafia” on european server Teon. Endgame is hard to climb to, but it is rewarding.

Lisa graduated in a couple of months and I spent more than 3 years in Lineage 2. Server I played on is dead by now and it may seem that Lineage 2 lost most of its prime. But may that sound corny, your first MMO RPG is like first love you can never forget. It started like a casual fling, but for me Lineage 2 of that era defined what massively multiplayer online game should be. And no other game lived up to that.

Share story about your first MMO :evil:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: My first MMO

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

So...much...yes...<passes out from overwhelming awesomeness>

My first MMO, by the way, was also Limeage 2 Classic. It’s just such an amazingly dope game that I am both figuratively and literally addicted to it. Every time I try to stop playing, I seem to get this really bad flu, and normal medicines just don’t help. As soon as I get back to Lineage 2 Classic, though, my symptoms clear right up! What a great game!
Last edited by prfsnl_gmr on Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Lineage 2 Classic killed my parents and got me addicted to meth.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Lineage 2 Classic once wired me $1500 so that I could travel to LA and pursue my dreams of becoming a dancer. When I got there, though, I quickly realized that $1500 wasn’t nearly enough money to live in LA for very long, and dancing jobs are hard to get. Worse, Lineage 2 Classic started getting really mad at me, and it kept yelling at me to pay back it’s $1500. When it looked like I might end up on the streets, Lineage 2 Classic offered me a place to stay and said it had some jobs I could do to pay off my debt. I just ran away, though, and I used the last of my money to buy a Greyhound ticket back to Kansas.

In retrospect, I think that Lineage 2 Classic is probably a human trafficker, and I’m lucky I got away when I did! No thanks! Lineage 2 “Traffic” is more like it!
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Lineage 2 voted Leave and put ketchup on my chips when I asked for salt and vinegar!
marurun

Post by marurun »

I heard Lineage 2 Classic was supplying arms and fuel to North Korea and hacked the US elections!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
strangenova
Next-Gen

Post by strangenova »

I heard Lineage 2 classic loves to double park
korvd

Post by korvd »

Gunstar Green wrote:Lineage 2 Classic killed my parents and got me addicted to meth.

lol can you tell more about that creepy story
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

korvd wrote:
Gunstar Green wrote:Lineage 2 Classic killed my parents and got me addicted to meth.

lol can you tell more about that creepy story

Sorry, it's an ongoing investigation and I'm living homeless under a bridge because of Lineage 2 so my phone is almost out of battery life.
thesefingers

Post by thesefingers »

Lineage 2 Classic stole my girlfriend. And new ex-girlfriend's girlfriend too. :mrgreen: