RIP GameWinners.com - Any one here used this site?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ziggy

RIP GameWinners.com - Any one here used this site?

Post by Ziggy »

Did anyone here use GameWinners.com in the past?

http://www.gamewinners.com/index.html (Goodbye message)

Although it closed a little over a year ago, I only just noticed. This was my go-to site for the longest while for passwords, cheat codes, et cetera. It was especially useful in the days of dial-up. It took so long for pages to load back then, you knew you weren't wasting your time on GameWinners.com. Back then, I would print out a lot of stuff so I wouldn't have to reload pages with a 56k modem. I compiled a binder full of printouts and tear outs from game magazines. I still have it. There's definitely a lot of GameWinners.com printouts in there!

Anyway, it's sad to see a site go down after it's been around for so long. Especially one that you used a lot.
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

Re: RIP GameWinners.com - Any one here used this site?

Post by casterofdreams »

I remember that site from back in the day. Using dial up and AOL to visit that site and other sites like that.

Cheat codes were big back in those days. But time change. It sucks but what can ya do.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

That sucks...

Reminded me of cheatcc.com, checked to see if they're still online and I guess they survived... but it looks like some utterly generic web 2.0+ site nowadays.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

I never heard of it.
When I was a kid, my go-to site for cheat codes was "The Secrets of the Game Sages" (gamesages.com) which was unfortunately taken over by IGN and erased from the internet... I've been using GameFAQs ever since.
Ack

Post by Ack »

How was the GameWinners community? I ran across it and few times but never spent much time with the site.
Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Ack wrote:How was the GameWinners community? I ran across it and few times but never spent much time with the site.

From what I gather, it seems like it was a nice community. To be honest, I never knew they had forums back in my dial-up days. I realized they had forums some time in the late 00's I suppose, but I couldn't tell you why I never checked them out. Makes me sad that I didn't. But yeah, the community there seems like it was tight enough that they cared to stay in touch after the site went down. Looks like they created a sub Redit, Facebook and Discord to stay in touch.

At least the codes database is available using the Wayback Machine. Although you can no longer submit new cheats, passwords, et cetera, it's still as useful as it was when it was up.