Quackshot on Genesis... weirdest ebay purchase ever!

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
yaktaur
8-bit

Quackshot on Genesis... weirdest ebay purchase ever!

Post by yaktaur »

So I bought Quackshot on Genesis/Mega Drive and it came:

So far, so normal. But then I put it in and it's Japanese!!

So I figured it's just a fake and that I've been duped by ebay for the 100th time.

But then I opened it up and it looks like it's a legit board?

Not pictured but the solder points on the back are professional looking too...

Weird!
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Quackshot on Genesis... weirdest ebay purchase ever!

Post by samsonlonghair »

Bizarre!

My only guess is that someone swapped it out. Go figure.
benderx
Next-Gen

Post by benderx »

In Japan and other countries called their console MegaDrive. In America it was Sega Genesis, which sounds cool in a non religious way. But we're living in age where more are importing miss match happening. The MegaDrive/Genesis has region locking, but not sure how it works on pal console.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

The Japanese Mega Drive logo and cartridge shape is different though. Also, most Mega Drive games don't have region-locking - it's done on a game by game basis, not at hardware levels, and was mostly not a thing until later in the generation.

1 thing worth checking: Do you have a modded Mega Drive?

Some carts have the regional roms on them and will load up the appropriate one depending on what region is detected. If you're playing in 60hz mode it could be recognising it as a Japanese region console.
yaktaur
8-bit

Post by yaktaur »

I'm using my Retron5 here so it loads any region, but if it is a legit Japanese board it's still been switched to a European cart case (I'm in the UK). Here's what it looks like in the Japanese cart:

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

alienjesus wrote:Some carts have the regional roms on them and will load up the appropriate one depending on what region is detected. If you're playing in 60hz mode it could be recognising it as a Japanese region console.

This is way more likely than board switching.

In the Retron 5 options switch your region from "default" (or whatever it's called) to PAL. It will probably then boot in English.
yaktaur
8-bit

Post by yaktaur »

Ahhhh, that's really interesting... now I can't wait to get home and see what's up

It could be that rom switching thing because although I am in the UK, I am an American which is a longwinded build up to say that I bought a copy of SMB1 and it was the European version with different speeds to the music and I was fiddling with the settings to try and get it to sound like it did in America and maybe I forgot to switch it back..

If that's the case I will have to get in touch with the ebay guy because I sent him a note saying that I think something got switched in the game and he gave me a full refund :?
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

It's what alienjesus said, I reckon.

I have a copy of Quackshot and a modded Mega Drive. I'll test it out and report my findings.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
yaktaur
8-bit

Post by yaktaur »

Sorry I did try it and can confirm it was that my Retron5 was still set for 60hz and it loaded as a regular English cart. What a trip that both roms were loaded on the board that is so trippy! You learn something new every day.

Now I just have to give the ebay guy his money back
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

yaktaur wrote:Sorry I did try it and can confirm it was that my Retron5 was still set for 60hz and it loaded as a regular English cart. What a trip that both roms were loaded on the board that is so trippy! You learn something new every day.

Now I just have to give the ebay guy his money back

This actually happens a lot more than you would think, my consoles have region switches for this reason. Bare Knuckle for the win!