What client MMO would you recommend?

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: What client MMO would you recommend?

Post by Ack »

Is Asheron's Call still running? The plot in that MMO was actually driven by players interacting with set pieces the devs would put in. It was an interesting experience, especially since I got into it upon initial release back in 1999.

It's archaic in many ways now, but the world was entirely open from the start...though you probably wouldn't survive too far from any of the towns. That said, you'd find random stuff way off in the wilderness if you ever took the time to explore. It was a lot of fun.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Well, I just looked it up, and sadly Asheron's Call was shut down in 2017. Man, so many memories. I hadn't really played it since 2003, but I still remember its early days. Heh, I miss it. Not much has managed to convey such a sense of wonder about a new world for me since then.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Ack wrote:Well, I just looked it up, and sadly Asheron's Call was shut down in 2017. Man, so many memories. I hadn't really played it since 2003, but I still remember its early days. Heh, I miss it. Not much has managed to convey such a sense of wonder about a new world for me since then.

Not only is it shut down, apparently they put out a cease and desist on all private server projects. It is breaking my heart.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Kowalski
8-bit

Post by Kowalski »

korvd wrote:
merswa wrote:
korvd wrote:I've heard about Skelth server
It's official European server
I'm sure you'll find decent party for you here

I hope that those blockheads don' have enough money to pay for monthly subscritption :DDDD

I'm not sure, the subscription is relatively cheap cuz 4game team has made it just $8 per month

I've been playing on Skelth for a while and I've realized that MMORPGs with subscription based model are pay-to-play rather than free servers that are usually pay-to-win because of ingame shops.

Pity about Asheron's Call :(
ayumarcan
8-bit

Post by ayumarcan »

BogusMeatFactory wrote: Most MMOs nowadays focus on a linear story and progression system versus the sandbox world building of the MMOs of old. They spend so much time creating essentially a single player game that has a bunch of people dancing and cursing all around you.

That's the biggest problem I have with MMOs actually, they are turned into single-players and mostly there's no open world, that's kind of boring.

Kowalski wrote:Totally agree! Good old MMORPGs are essential. I don't like modern MMOs, because most of them have cartoon style, vanilla visuals, linear storyline. Unfortunately I missed Ultima, but I got into another old school MMORPG - Lineage 2 Classic. It is a reincarnation of good old Lineage 2 with 30+ fantasy classes, abilities and mesmerizing gothic locations.

Oh, I've looked it up and it seems like a good suggestion, what server should I try?
Update: read thru the topic and see that you suggest Skelth, thank you very much!
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

I've seen that Pantheon is trying to do new MMO in the older style. Haven't tried it myself.

Personally, I've predominately played FFXI since it came out in the U.S. Other than the general lack of PVP (only present in specific events that next to nobody does), it'd really depend on what you want out of open world. Where there used to be relevant competitive camping/etc, the modern endgame is pretty much all instanced/popped. You'll still see plenty of people out for XP and the like though. It's a lot more flexible with regard to gameplay than most GCD type games though. Other than reduced grind, a lot of the current soloability comes from being able to summon NPCs to party with (Trusts - FFXIV is getting a similar system I believe). So the leveling experience can actually be fairly true to how it was back in the day, albeit quite accelerated.
Anyway, it's probably not quite what you're looking for due to lack of PVP, but I (and others, pierrot offhand) are pretty familiar with it if you're curious.

You could consider Guild Wars 2 - missions and dungeons there are are instanced, but a lot of the game is built on open-world events that are designed for any/everyone wandering by to join in on. Plus you have server vs. server PVP to do if you want.
Kowalski
8-bit

Post by Kowalski »

ayumarcan wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote: Most MMOs nowadays focus on a linear story and progression system versus the sandbox world building of the MMOs of old. They spend so much time creating essentially a single player game that has a bunch of people dancing and cursing all around you.

That's the biggest problem I have with MMOs actually, they are turned into single-players and mostly there's no open world, that's kind of boring.

Kowalski wrote:Totally agree! Good old MMORPGs are essential. I don't like modern MMOs, because most of them have cartoon style, vanilla visuals, linear storyline. Unfortunately I missed Ultima, but I got into another old school MMORPG - Lineage 2 Classic. It is a reincarnation of good old Lineage 2 with 30+ fantasy classes, abilities and mesmerizing gothic locations.

Oh, I've looked it up and it seems like a good suggestion, what server should I try?
Update: read thru the topic and see that you suggest Skelth, thank you very much!

If you are looking for European community, there is official Skelth.
There are also some NA servers, but I actually don't like NA monetization model (VIP packages, it's like pay-2-win), besides afaik there are some issues with regional bans.
ayumarcan
8-bit

Post by ayumarcan »

korvd wrote:
merswa wrote:
korvd wrote:I've heard about Skelth server
It's official European server
I'm sure you'll find decent party for you here

I hope that those blockheads don' have enough money to pay for monthly subscritption :DDDD

I'm not sure, the subscription is relatively cheap cuz 4game team has made it just $8 per month

That doesn't seem like much at all, because I've seen servers with some weird VIP system and they really put me off
TSchwa

Post by TSchwa »

Well, I'll jump on the Lineage 2 Classic bandwagon and say that it's a great game indeed. Did you try it out yet?
ayumarcan
8-bit

Post by ayumarcan »

TSchwa wrote:Well, I'll jump on the Lineage 2 Classic bandwagon and say that it's a great game indeed. Did you try it out yet?

Yeah, I did and I really enjoy it. Actually, I'm impressed, never thought a MMO could grab me like that. Cannot stop playing