Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by marurun Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:31 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Y'all are crazy. I loved Corpse Party.

But inappropriate sexualization is kinda your thing, see?
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:53 pm

marurun wrote:

But inappropriate sexualization is kinda your thing, see?

While I frequently find myself thinking you guys see things as worse than they are, this statement isn't wrong.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:28 pm

If y'all want to play a dumpster fire of a game, go for Last Action Hero on SNES.
Ack

by Ack Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:40 pm

Sarge wrote:If y'all want to play a dumpster fire of a game, go for Last Action Hero on SNES.

Yeah, it's like the Cliffhanger video game in that way...
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:40 am

You're more than welcome to still enjoy the game. I'm just stating why I don't like it.
I'd be very interested to hear your defense of the game if you'd be interested in saying so. What makes my opinions so "crazy"? :O
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:21 am

Partridge Senpai's 2019 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018
* indicates a repeat

1. Night Slashers (Switch)
2. Bye-Bye BOXBOY! (3DS)
3. GTA4: The Ballad of Gay Tony (Xbox 360)
4. Katamari Forever (PS3)
5. Detention (PS4)
6. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) *
7. OctoDad: Dadliest Catch (PS4) *
8. FlintHook (Switch)
9. God of War (PS4)
10. God of War HD (PS3)
11. Tiny Barbarian DX (Switch)
12. God of War 2 HD (PS3)
13. Starlink (Switch)
14. Shin Gundam Musou (PS3)
15. Battle & Get! Pokemon Typing DS (DS)
16. Banjo-Kazooie (N64) *
17. Super Mario 64: Rumble Edition (N64)
18. Mario Party 3 (N64) *
19. Paper Mario (N64) *
20. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) *
21. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC) *
22. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC) *
23. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (GBC) *
24. Yoshi's Island (SNES) *
25. Super Mario World (SNES) *
26. Super Mario RPG (SFC) *
27. Kaeru No Tame Ni Kane Wa Naru (GB)
28. Final Fantasy VI (SFC) *
29. Final Fantasy IV (SFC) *
30. Final Fantasy V (SFC)
31. Final Fantasy III (Famicom)
32. Mother 2 (SFC) *
33. Mother 3 (GBA) *
34. Hebereke (Famicom)
35. Donkey Kong Country 2 (SFC)
36. Donkey Kong Country 3 (SFC)
37. Donkey Kong Country (SFC) *
38. Wario's Woods (Famicom)
39. Paper Mario: Color Splash (Wii U)
40. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (3DS)
41. Luigi's Mansion (3DS) *
42. Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS)
43. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga & Bowser's Minions (3DS)
44. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story & Bowser Jr's Journey (3DS)
45. Tomato Adventure (GBA)
46. Corpse Party (PSP)

47. Rave Master: Fighting Live (GC)

When I stayed with my friend last weekend, this was a Gamecube game he got for peanuts that we thought "why not give a try". It has 5 "story mode" stories to play through, but beating one of them DOES give you the credits, and given that we've used that metric for fighting games in the past on this site, I'm calling this one beaten even though I only beat 2 out of the 5 myself. I seriously doubt my opinion on it would change at all given any more play time, anyhow :lol:

This is a fighting game by Konami based on their manga/anime Rave Master, a series I have never seen anything but adverts for like 15 years ago XP. My friend was a fan when he was younger though, and he said the story bits carried a very similar vibe from the show. There are story scenes with dialogue between fights that's sometimes funny, but ultimately pretty uninteresting to someone who knows nothing about the show like I did. Shock and horror, I know, an early 2000's licensed fighting game with a boring story :b. The only real criticism I can level against it is that these scenes aren't voice acted. For something based on a licensed property that DOES have some VA for the characters as they fight, it struck me as very odd to have literally no VA of any kind for the fairly short story scenes, not even in the Japanese version that we were playing. On a hilarious note, while the few female characters predictably have some pretty awful jiggle physics on their breasts, there's a male character how has the same physics for his BUTT, which had us absolutely in stitches with laughter when we first noticed it.

The mechanics are basically a very poor-man's Power Stone 2. It's a 4-player arena fighter with not so stellar targeting, all the stages are basically the same with no ring-outs, some characters who are obviously really poorly balanced, and a series of passives you can pick up (one of each of three kinds) as well as weapons during battle. There's a kinda cool mechanic where, instead of items, you can make characters drop the weapon they're holding, and the random usable items that drop are other characters' weapons who appear in the game. This means that ever weapon basically has two styles: a style for the person who owns that weapon, and an "everyone else" default style. It's a neat idea, but the combat is so otherwise bad and the AI is so dumb that it doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot.

The controls are kinda weird too. B is your default attack, A is a special attack, X is jump, and Z picks up and drops items (so dropping your weapon when you wanna pick up a passive happens a LOT). I haven't played Power Stone myself, so I don't know how true this is for either of those games, but for the arcade mode in this, the rule was basically that if you were one-on-one, you could combo someone into the dirt and probably perfect the match barely trying by just mashing B. But if you were fighting TWO enemies, you would almost certainly get very easily double teamed and the game would get WAY harder despite the omni-directional blocking. We only had one controller, so we couldn't play VS mode at all, although again I doubt that would've really changed my opinion on the game.

Verdict: Not Recommended. This game is a waste of your time unless maybe you're a massive Rave Master fan. There are much better Power Stone-type games on the Gamecube that came along later in its life, and if you have a Dreamcast then Power Stone is a much better choice. Given that this came out 2 years after Power Stone 2 and the year after Smash Bros Melee, it's a pretty unimpressive entry into the vast hall of licensed/cross-over 4-player party fighters on Gamecube with its unimpressive mechanics and 13 playable characters.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:18 pm

168. Valfaris
169. Bionic commando (nes)
170. Mega Man (nes)

168. Valfaris: incredible new run n gun, awesome metal soundtrack, awesome level design, solid challenge. There is an great review on the last page so I would feel redundant in writing a review of it, but if you like run n guns it is one of the best to come out in recent history, an absolute must play for fans of the genre.

170. Mega Man: I don't know what to say about mega man that hasn't been said before. The original mega man is a very solid game and a very solid start to the series. It gets a lot of flack for being a bit rough around the edges and a bit too difficult, but I just don't see either of those things. While it is certainly more challenging than the easier entries like 5 and 6, it is definitely not as difficult as 9, 10, and 11. I think it's overall difficulty falls somewhere square in the middle of the series.
Ack

by Ack Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:41 pm

1. Dusk (PC)(FPS)
2. Project: Snowblind (PC)(FPS)
3. Soldier of Fortune: Platinum Edition (PC)(FPS)
4. Ziggurat (PC)(FPS)
5. Wolfenstein 3D: Ultimate Challenge (PC)(FPS)
6. Destiny 2 (PC)(FPS/RPG)
7. Destiny 2: Curse of Osiris (PC)(FPS/RPG)
8. Destiny 2: Warmind (PC)(FPS/RPG)

9. Destiny 2: Forsaken (PC)(FPS/RPG)
10. Star Wars: Rebel Assault (PC)(Rail Shooter)

11. Castle Werewolf (PC)(FPS)
12. Project Warlock (PC)(FPS)
13. Castle Crashers (PC)(Hack and Slash)
14. This Strange Realm of Mine (PC)(FPS)
15. BioShock Remastered (PC)(FPS)
16. BioShock 2 (PC)(FPS)
17. BioShock 2: Minerva's Den (PC)(FPS)

18. Blood (PC)(FPS)
19. Blood: Cryptic Passage (PC)(FPS)
20. Blood: Post Mortem (PC)(FPS)

21. Shadow Warrior (PC)(FPS)
22. Shadow Warrior: Twin Dragon (PC)(FPS)
23. Shadow Warrior: Wanton Destruction (PC)(FPS)

24. F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin (PC)(FPS)
25. F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn (PC)(FPS)

26. Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines (PC)(RPG)
27. Men of Valor (PC)(FPS)
28. Ultima III: Exodus (PC)(RPG)
29. Albedo: Eyes from Outer Space (PC)(Point and Click)

30. Midnight Ultra (PC)(FPS)
31. Amid Evil (PC)(FPS)
32. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (PC)(RPG)
33. Betrayer (PC)(Horror)

34. Borderlands 2: Commander Lilith & the Fight for Sanctuary (PC)(FPS/RPG)
35. Far Cry 2 (PC)(FPS)
36. Apocryph (PC)(FPS)
37. Eye of the Beholder III: Assault on Myth Drannor (PC)(RPG)

38. Menzoberranzan (PC)(RPG)
39. TimeShift (PC)(FPS)
40. Heretic Kingdoms: The Inquisition (PC)(RPG)
41. Shadowgate (PC)(Point and Click)

42. Might & Magic Book One (PC)(RPG)
43. Miasmata (PC)(Adventure)

I took a break for a few days from Might & Magic 2 to finally check out Miasmata since it's October and there is an element of horror to the game.

In Miasmata, you're a scientist who has contracted a plague. To add to the problem, your nation has had some sort of violent Luddite revolution, so you've been exiled to a small island that other scientists had gone to try and seek a cure. When you get there, you discover the scientists have all been murdered, their work is only partially done, and some strange creature is stalking the island. Will you finish the cure? Will you succumb to the effects of the disease? Or will you be stalked and hunted by the creature, which may simply be a product of your sick and addled mind?

There are many questions that the game decides to leave open, but that's ok, it makes the creature more of a menace and the experience more mysterious and entertaining. At its core, Miasmata is about survivalism and learning to use the land to your benefit, be it in making medicines and drugs to boost your weakened senses, scrounging for water, or grabbing various objects for light and weapons when you might need them. The creature is a random threat, and apparently that randomness manages to scare off some folks from playing the game because they're not into being stalked, though I went toe to toe to it multiple times and managed to escape nearly every encounter. It really isn't that scary once you learn its rules, and during a speedrun I did for an achievement, I managed to beat the game without ever even seeing it.

Miasmata is an indie game from a two-man team, a pair of brothers that did this out of love, and you know what? It isn't perfect; there are visual bugs, there are typos, and there are some strange moments with the physics and AI. The movement system takes terrain and momentum into account, and it can take some getting used to a more realistic sense of motion, but it also occasionally leads to weird things like bouncing off the side of stairs. There are moments when things stutter while music kicks in, and pop up is a problem. Yet despite the bugs, when the music is playing and you're standing on the side of some little lake looking at a campsite and figuring out where it fits in on the map to determine your next move, there is a true bliss to the game too.

I adored Miasmata, and I recommend it, albeit it with the caveat that you should seek out the community patch. It fixes some of the biggest issues, and if you're going for achievements, it's a necessary component because it fixes some achievement breaking bugs. There are some mods too which can change things up, such as showing you what of the coastline you haven't mapped or making the creature more or less aggressive, though your mileage on these may vary. If none of this is important to you, then vanilla should be relatively ok, though the community patch still helps with stability.

Miasmata reminds me a lot of the best parts of Betrayer, another game that I enjoyed greatly this year. I really do recommend this to fans of adventure, horror, and first person games, and October is not a bad month to check it out. That creature adds just enough stress factor to push some folks over the edge, so it may work wonderfully for you. The game has its flaws, but the experience is fantastic.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:35 pm

First 50:
1. Octopath Traveler - Switch
2. Dusk - PC
3. Forsaken Remastered - PC
4. Tales of Eternia - PS1
5. Resident Evil 2 (2019) - PC
6. Pokémon Trading Card Game - GBC
7. Metro Exodus - PC
8. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales - PC
9. Project Warlock - PC
10. Magic: The Gathering - PC
11. Ghost 1.0 - PC
12. Call of Duty 2 - PC
13. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - PS4
14. Revelations: The Demon Slayer - GBC
15. Mechstermination Force - Switch
16. Shadow Warrior Classic Redux - PC
17. Lost Sphear - Switch
18. Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal - PC
19. Dragon Quest III - NES
20. Rage 2 - PC
21. Blood - PC
22. Harvest Moon 64 - N64
23. Battlefield V - PC
24. Sigil - PC
25. Shining Force III: Scenario 2 - Saturn
26. Shining Force III: Scenario 3 - Saturn
27. Borderlands 2: Commander Lillith and the Fight for Sanctuary - PC
28. Gato Roboto - Switch
29. Timespinner - Switch
30. Amid Evil - PC
31. Pillars of Eternity II: Beast of Winter - PC
32. Pillars of Eternity II: Seeker, Slayer, Survivor - PC
33. Pillars of Eternity II: The Forgotten Sanctum - PC
34. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Switch
35. Orphan - PC
36. Project Nimbus - PC
37. Hardcore Mecha - PC
38. Grey Goo - PC
39. Giants: Citizen Kabuto - PC
40. Wolfenstein: Youngblood - PC
41. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Switch
42. Metal Wolf Chaos XD - PC
43. Ion Fury - PC
44. Final Fantasy Adventure - GB
45. Astral Chain - Switch
46. Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - PC
47. Blasphemous - Switch
48. Daemon x Machina - Switch
49. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Switch
50. Borderlands 3 - PC

51. Valfaris - Switch
52. Unreal: Return to Na Pali - PC

Return to Na Pali picks up right where Unreal leaves off. Your derelict escape shuttle is picked up by a large battleship and they realize you're an escaped prisoner. Since another ship went down on the planet of Na Pali and it's impossible to scan thanks to all the Tarydium deposits. So the plan is that they send you back, because your ability to kill your way through everything on the planet is already demonstrated. So now we have an excuse to do more Unreal levels. The game continues the usage of large outdoor environments that Unreal first showed off, and several of the outdoor levels have multiple convergent paths to get through them. The levels are a mixed bag length-wise; a few of them are incredibly short while a few others are really long. There's a handful of new enemies, all of them are annoying humanoids that either have hitscan weapons or shields or both.

There's also a handful of new weapons; Unreal was notable for having a bunch of non-standard weapons, so the expansion had to dip into the normal weapon category. You have an assault rifle that does more DPS than the minigun with less spread (though the minigun might do more damage in total at max ammo), a grenade launcher that does more damage and a larger splash radius than the grenades of the nineball launcher (and the ability to detonate them prematurely), and a rocket launcher that does more damage and a larger splash radius than the rockets of the nineball launcher (and the ability to manually guide them to your cursor). The rocket launcher is a disappointment, but the grenade launcher is useful on a couple levels and the assault rifle is always good, it just pisses through ammo too fast to use regularly.

Overall the game is fairly short, but you get it as part of Unreal Gold, which is the main way to buy the game digitally, so there's no reason not to play it if you've already played the base game.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:51 pm

Games Beaten in 2019 So Far - 61
* denotes a replay

January (12 Games Beaten)
1. Army Men 3D - PlayStation - January 1*
2. Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished - NES - January 4
3. Mega Man - NES - January 6
4. Mega Man 2 - NES - January 6
5. Mega Man 3 - NES - January 6
6. Mega Man 4 - NES - January 7
7. Dr. Discord's Conquest - NES - January 7
8. Mega Man 5 - NES - January 26
9. Just Cause 3 - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. Mega Man 6 - NES - January 27
11. Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight - Vita - January 27
12. Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space - PlayStation 2 - January 27

February (2 Games Beaten)
13. Earth Defense Force 5 - PlayStation 4 - February 2
14. Fallout 76 - PlayStation 4 - February 3

March (4 Games Beaten)
15. Octopath Traveler - Switch - March 2
16. Resident Evil 0 - PlayStation 4 - March 9
17. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered - PlayStation 4 - March 10
18. Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade - Game Boy Advance - March 30

April (3 Games Beaten)
19. Moemon - Game Boy Advance - April 5
20. Yoshi's Crafted World - Switch - April 10
21. Wargroove - Switch - April 26

May (8 Games Beaten)
22. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Switch - May 5
23. Battlefield V - PlayStation 4 - May 9
24. Timespinner - PlayStation 4 - May 12
25. Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain - PlayStation 4 - May 17
26. Shenmue - PlayStation 4 - May 19
27. Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht - PlayStation 2 - May 26
28. Team Sonic Racing - Switch - May 29
29. Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Böse - PlayStation 2 - May 30

June (5 Games Beaten)
30. Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprache Zarathustra - PlayStation 2 - June 2
31. Gato Roboto - Switch - June 3
32. Katana Zero - Switch - June 4
33. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct - Wii U - June 8
34. Dark Savior - Saturn - June 12

July (12 Games Beaten)
35. The Elder Scrolls V: Skryim - Switch - June 7
36. The Elder Scrolls V: Skryim: Dragonborn - Switch - June 7
37. The Elder Scrolls V: Skryim: Dawnguard - Switch - June 7
38. Tiny Troopers - Switch - July 8
39. Tiny Troopers 2: Special Ops - Switch - July 8
40. Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth - 3DS - July 10
41. Super Robot Wars T - Switch - July 13
42. Super Mario Maker 2 - Switch - July 13
43. Command and Conquer - Saturn - July 16
44. Command and Conquer: Covert Operations - PC - July 16
45. Super Neptunia RPG - PlayStation 4 - July 18
46. My Girlfriend is a Mermaid!? - Switch - July 19

August (5 Games Beaten)
47. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Switch - August 10
48. Wolfenstein Youngblood - Xbox One - August 24
49. Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem - DS - August 27
50. Metal Wolf Chaos XD - PlayStation 4 - August 31
51. Fire Emblem: Archanean War Chronicles - SNES - August 31

September (5 Games Beaten)
52. Golf Story - Switch - September 2
53. Red Dead Redemption - PlayStation 3 - September 7
54. Far Cry 4 - Xbox One - September 14
55. Muv-Luv Extra - Vita - September 19
56. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Switch - September 23

October (5 Games Beaten)
57. Muv-Luv Unlimited - Vita - October 1
58. Panty Party - Switch - October 2
59. Mario Kart Tour - Android - October 3
60. Muv-Luv Alternative - Vita - October 10
61. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Switch - October 25*

61. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Switch - October 25*

No review this time since I just replayed it on a different route than my playthrough back in August.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Return to General Gaming