Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
chupon
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by chupon Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:47 pm

Check out this review at HG101 of Kid Chameleon.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/kid-chameleon/

Better than I could ever write. It's an honest review that lists pros and cons. Very long and very in depth. I even learned a few things myself.

I'm in agreement with almost all conclusions.

Even if you aren't a fan I recommend the read. One interesting point made is that most negative criticisms of the game seem to come from individuals who don't spend enough time with the game / give it a chance to figure out the nuances. There is a lot there to figure out and after reading the HG101 review by Eric Provenza I can't wait to fire up Kid Chameleon again!

Please give that review a read through. I'm no expert on writing but I think it very thorough and honest.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
chupon
Next-Gen

by chupon Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:49 pm

Oh - and don't the PS3/4 and Switch Genesis compilations have save states?
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
marurun

by marurun Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:22 pm

I love that some folks can really appreciate Kid Chameleon, but folks are also well within their rights to think it is a crap game, too.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:50 pm

marurun wrote:I love that some folks can really appreciate Kid Chameleon, but folks are also well within their rights to think it is a crap game, too.

I am loving this conversation. The Kid Chameleon argument is one of the best, most Racketboy-y arguments we’ve had in a while.

Also...to set the record straight...the original version of Castlevania, on the Famicom Disk System, had a save system. Also, both Battletoads and Blaster Master would have benefitted immensely from a save or password system. Rygar too. I don’t know about Kid Chameleon because I haven’t spent more than five minutes with it. Finally, Comix Zone sucks.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:32 pm

PresidentLeever wrote:I totally get the allergic reaction to the game's "hey kids, this is what you think is cool!" 90s aesthetic, btw.

It does lay on the extreme 90s attitude pretty thick.

chupon wrote:One interesting point made is that most negative criticisms of the game seem to come from individuals who don't spend enough time with the game / give it a chance to figure out the nuances. There is a lot there to figure out and after reading the HG101 review by Eric Provenza I can't wait to fire up Kid Chameleon again!

I'm actually a lot more interested in giving Kid Chameleon more of my time, right now, than I have been at most points in the past. I don't think it's likely that I'll really enjoy it a great deal, just because I don't really enjoy Mario, and it basically struck me as Mario meets DOS platformers. It does seem more worth playing through to me now, though.

Sorry, AJ. Your mission might'a' backfired.
marurun

by marurun Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:08 pm

There was an SGDQ run of Kid Chameleon in 2018 that gave me a lot more respect for the game, but I still don’t particularly enjoy playing it. Comix Zone, on the other hand, is a single flaw away from being legendary. That flaw is pretty big, though.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:06 am

@chupon: I definitely have spent more than enough time with it, I have beaten the game using save states and played it as a kid.

@marurun: what is the one flaw that keeps comix zone from being legendary?
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:15 am

If you mean taking damage from attacking, you can remove it with a GG code. I realize that's a somewhat weak defense but it can be done.

Edit: https://gamehacking.org/game/14934
Last edited by PresidentLeever on Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
marurun

by marurun Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:18 am

Comix Zone’s fatal flaw is that every attack damages you. Your lifebar therefore isn’t just how many hits you can take but how many attacks you can dish out.

There isn’t much enemy variety, but a fight against some enemies is like a lite fighting game match. But you can’t go all out because hitting the enemy also hurts you.

You have a number of moves at your disposal, but you end up having to stick to the most damaging ones to meter the impact on your life bar.

Changing that one mechanic would have made the game much more accessible to different play styles.
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:09 pm

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2019!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. Power Stone 2 (SDC)
2. Radiata Stories (PS2)
3. Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball (NES)
***4. Saiyuki: Journey West (PS1)***
5. Shining In The Darkness (GEN)
***6. Metropolis Street Racer (SDC)***
7. Half-Life 2 (XBOX)
8. Soul Blazer (SNES)
9. Mario Party (N64)
10. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GCN)
11. Street Fighter Collection (PS1)
12. Pokemon Stadium 2 (N64)
13. Burnout (PS2)
14. Phantasy Star III (GEN)
15. Batman: The Video Game (NES)
16. X-Men Legends (XBOX)
***17. Final Fantasy VII (PS1)***
18. Maximum Pool (SDC)
19. Puzzle Quest (PS2)

20. Jet Moto (PS1)

I beat Jet Moto on the Sony Playstation 1 this afternoon!

A few years ago, I was going to my now defunct favorite retro game store. I would usually visit once every few months or so just to see what they had available. While there, they recently had a large collection of PS1 games for sale. I had grown my PS1 collection by leaps and bounds thanks to that location, so I was always up to see what was available. After sifting through games that I already owned, I came across two classics that I had passed several times. Once was Crash Bandicoot and the other was Jet Moto. I had some store credit at the time and they were both relatively cheap. I was interested in trying them out both as they had many iterations on the console and I wanted to be certain that I would enjoy them before putting two much time in them. so, without any better prospects, I decided to pick up some relatively common games.

Jet Moto is a futuristic racer where you race on hover bikes around a course for three laps. The bikes look and control like motorcycles only faster with a bit less weight to them. You are also able to use a Grapple to clutch onto poles during very tight turns. This grapple mechanic is a key to success as you can slingshot yourself past other racers or go straight into the wall. Each race has about 25 racers or so, which is really nice as you always feel like somebody is chasing you. Also, the AI has no rubber band effect, so you can catch up rather easily and race ahead of them as well. For racing games, it's has some of the best AI's I've seen. The racing is fun and you can get a few air on some of the large jumps.

The game is short, like incredibly short. You only have three cups and they increase in difficulty and amount of races, but that is it. Once done, the game is essentially over. You don't even unlock credits or anything for beating the game. Also, during some races and the higher difficulties, the AI becomes a bit unruly. You almost have to be perfect to win a race.

Overall, Jet Moto isn't a bad game, but there is very little to it in the first place. Once you understand the game and how it works, it is all over. It was fun to play, but everything went by so quickly. It was like eating one of those Butterfingers that they advertised so much in the game. Nice in small doses, but not something to make a meal out of. I picked it up rather cheaply and it is worth it if you can find it cheaply too.
Return to General Gaming