Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by noiseredux Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:28 am

pook99 wrote:@Elkin: I never played cand c but my first experience with RTS games was warcraft on playstation, I know games like that are supposed to be kb/m but the gameplay held up fine for someone who didn't know any better.

I'd actually love read some kind of history of console RTS games. There are definitely entries that have done it right. The Halo Wars games come to mind more recently. But I'd really be interested in learning about the older history and growing pains of the genre on consoles.
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:31 am

noiseredux wrote:
pook99 wrote:@Elkin: I never played cand c but my first experience with RTS games was warcraft on playstation, I know games like that are supposed to be kb/m but the gameplay held up fine for someone who didn't know any better.

I'd actually love read some kind of history of console RTS games. There are definitely entries that have done it right. The Halo Wars games come to mind more recently. But I'd really be interested in learning about the older history and growing pains of the genre on consoles.

That would be interesting, you can accompany that with a history of FPS on consoles. I played the shit out of FPS on my PS1 but as fun as those games were I just can't go back, strafing with the shoulders is just too weird, and don't get me started on the crapshow that is FPS on the N64.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:40 am

pook99 wrote:That would be interesting, you can accompany that with a history of FPS on consoles. I played the shit out of FPS on my PS1 but as fun as those games were I just can't go back, strafing with the shoulders is just too weird, and don't get me started on the crapshow that is FPS on the N64.

yeah that's interesting as well. I remember playing FPS games on Dreamcast and it weirdly worked. I've also had kind of a weird fascination with DS FPS games lately.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:41 am

The N64 controls for FPS work way better than PS1 imo, although I always choose to go with the Turok layout - C buttons for moving and strafing, analogue stick for aiming.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:16 am

If anyone wants a decent console RTS check out 8-Bit Armies (haven't played 8-Bit Hordes or 8-Bit Invaders). You can actually assign different units to squads assigned to three of the face buttons. Also Dungeons 2 (haven't played the third one).
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:26 am

Command and Conquer has not aged well,

You must burn in fire Elkin. And also must play Red Alert; it's on the same engine and maintains the played straight cutscenes where they really are trying their best (and have some narmy moments). Then things diverge. The Tiberium series stays serious, though the Tiberian Sun cutscenes are on the weaker side because now they're more of a movie, rather than you being briefed (they go back to the briefing style in Tiberium Wars and have a star studded cast). Meanwhile, Red Alert goes full camp in Red Alert 2 and 3, and you need to play RA3 at some point for the power trio of Tim Curry, JK Simmons, and George Takei as the three faction leaders. Generals is frankly skippable; it's just too generic. It uses StarCraft style base building instead of C&C style (not to mention StarCraft style menu bar on the bottom instead of the side) and they get rid of the FMV. It's just a near future US vs. China vs. Terrorists game. It just lacks the charm of the other games.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

by Ack Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:50 am

"Thank you for the nice shoes, master!"

Angry mobs. Chemical weapons officers. RPG emplacements. You better believe I played Terrorists.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Generals (Zero Hour, specifically) is the only C&C I've actually played at any length although entirely randomly AI multiplayer maps. I was really put off by the series when I first tried is a good 10 years ago because it was so different from what I was used to (Starcraft, Rise of Nations, Star Trek Armada, Age of Empires, etc), so Generals was the only one that I was comfortable with at the time. Now, obviously, I'm getting out of my shell. But yes, I fully intend to go through Red Alert and the rest of the Tiberium series at some point.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:34 pm

Ack wrote:"Thank you for the nice shoes, master!"

Angry mobs. Chemical weapons officers. RPG emplacements. You better believe I played Terrorists.

I mean, those are nice, but not as nice as Overlord Tanks. Put a tower on one and gatlings on the rest and go to town.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:29 pm

104. Castlevania: Blood Moon (nes hack)

Blood Moon is one of the most famous castlevania hacks, I've read about it alot but have stayed away from it because it is supposedly one of the harder hacks, while this hack is on the more difficult side it typically does not feel cheap and does a few things that help you stay in the game.

The most notable thing that makes this game manageable is that you do not lose your sub weapon when you die or continue, if you have the double or triple shot, you will lose those, but you are never without a subweapon in this game barring the very first section. In addition to that you start with 30 hearts each time you die, and the game is very generous about handing out double and triple shots (represented by a small and large bible respectively), what this means is that once you find your favorite weapon you can keep it forever and it is really nice to basically never run out of sub weapons. This adds a nice new gameplay mechanic as you can really rely on your sub weapon of choice in a pretty big way, and you will definitely need them.

As mentioned above this is a hard game, but it is not one of those rom hacks that just throw 100 enemies at you every step making it feel stupid and cheap, I would say the general level design and enemy placement is very much in line with what you would expect from a mainline castlevania title but it is just a little harder. Difficulty of course varies depending on the stage, deaths stage was very tough thande death fight was a nightmare, imagine death only your surrounded by pits and there are 4 sickles on the screen at any given time, also because of where he spawns you cant cheese the holy water, complete nightmare and I cant believe I ever beat him. By contrast I beat draculas stage on my first try and dracula himself is pretty easy since there is a meat you can grab mid fight and you can stock up on triple holy water or boomerang really easy.

The hacked graphics look nice, all the enemies are sprite swapped, level designs are entirely new as is the enemy placement. There are one or two random parts where you will accidentally walk into a pit because you dont know what your looking at and while it is annoying when it happens, it doesnt happen often enough to hamper your enjoyment. There are also alot of cool outdoor backgrounds, which as the name implies, has an ominous blood moon hovering in the sky. The sounds are all from the original game and while some of the tracks are switched to different levels, there are no new tracks in this game which is just fine, I love the soundtrack of this game.

Blood Moon is a great hack to try if you feel you are an expert at castlevania, it is tough but in a way that keeps you coming back for more, this is definitely not a game that you should play if your new to the series but definitely worth a playthrough if your a veteran looking for a solid challenge.
Return to General Gaming