Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:09 pm

@prfsnl_gmr

Proxima Centauri IQ post. I'm gonna have to get both of those versions. Do you have the sequel on Fami?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:43 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:@prfsnl_gmr

Proxima Centauri IQ post. I'm gonna have to get both of those versions. Do you have the sequel on Fami?

Wait...what? The sequel was released on the Famicom? I had no idea...I’m going to have to get and play through that too! (It looks like it was developed by Sanritsu...the team behind Fantasy Zone Gear...I am very cautiously optimistic.)

Also...all of you writing great reviews on here are owed a “Proxima Centauri IQ post” from time-to-time. :lol:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:48 pm

1. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary (NDS)
2. Reigns (iOS)
3. Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)
4. Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge (GB)
5. Castlevania Legends (GB)
6. Yankai’s Triangle (iOS)
7. Mega Man III (GB)
8. Mega Man IV (GB)
9. Mega Man V (GB)
10. Sin & Punishment (N64)
11. Love You to Bits (iOS)
12. Mega Man Powered Up - Old Style (PSP)
13. Mega Man Powered Up - New Style (PSP)
14. Mario vs. Donkey Kong (GBA)
15. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis (NDS)
16. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! (NDS)
17. Detective Pikachu (3DS)
18. Super Fantasy Zone (GEN)
19. Fantasy Zone Gear (GG)
20. Fantasy Zone - The Maze (SMS)
21. Fantasy Zone (Famicom)
22. Fantasy Zone (NES)
23. Kung Fu Master (2600)

Porting Kung Fu Master to the 2600 was pretty audacious, but Activision pulled it off fairly well. The game looks great (by Atari 2600 standards), and perhaps more impressive, it sounds great too. Activision replicated the music and the satisfying “crack” of the punches and kicks very, very well. The hit detection is more than a little off, however, and the game is incredibly difficult. Enemies drain your health with amazing speed; the knife throwers and elves don’t telegraph their attacks; the controls are wonky; and the fourth boss is a monster. Thankfully, it’s a really short game, and you can get through it pretty quickly despite its difficulty.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:44 pm

1. Octopath Traveler - Switch
2. Dusk - PC
3. Forsaken Remastered - PC
4. Tales of Eternia - PS1
5. Resident Evil 2 (2019) - PC
6. Pokémon Trading Card Game - GBC
7. Metro Exodus - PC
8. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales - PC
9. Project Warlock - PC
10. Magic: The Gathering - PC
11. Ghost 1.0 - PC
12. Call of Duty 2 - PC
13. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - PS4
14. Revelations: The Demon Slayer - GBC
15. Mechstermination Force - Switch

Mechstermination Force is an indie Switch game that plays as a cross between Contra and Shadow of the Colossus. The game consists of fourteen boss fights (including the tutorial) with no pesky regular enemies in between. The boss fights are against large robots (the mechs you are 'sterminating) with multiple phases and a lot of dodging. Your arsenal consists of jumping, shooting, hammering, and later on in the game double jumping and climbing grey surfaces. It's not a long game, but it is a challenging one. I'm not sure the difficulty curve is implemented quite right, though.

The game controls basically like Contra, and is a 2.5D action game. The weapons available to you are pretty much all from Contra as well, though a couple have been tweaked a bit to be more interesting when the screen scrolls out as far as it can go. The Shadow of the Colossus part is in the nature of the boss fights. To defeat a boss you need to destroy all of the boss's cores. Some of these are yellow, and can be shot. Others are red and need to be hammered. Naturally, hitting the red ones is where a lot of the game's challenge comes in; you might need to dodge between enemy limbs to get close to a core. The bosses have multiple stages; as you destroy key cores the boss will transform; maybe it changes shape, maybe it just loses a limb, exposing more of the boss. Meanwhile, the boss is shooting shit at you (some of which can be shot down yourself, others can only be dodged) and trying to stomp you flat. You will spend a lot of time climbing directly on bosses as well, so those flailing limbs are important to time your dodges so you can get on top of them.

The game has a shop system where you buy extra health and weapons. You start off with just a machine gun, and each gun costs successively more. You won't unlock all the guns until the end of the game, and you won't get all the health pickups unless you do some major grinding. When you beat a boss you get a lump sum of cash, plus a bonus for not being hit and for each hit you have left. You also can pick up money mid-mission, which is saved even if you die. This happens when you destroy key targets (which can also drop a heal item). And this shop system is where I feel the game needs some better tuning for its difficulty curve. See, several bosses pretty much require you to have a certain amount of health, and having a particular weapon on a particular boss can easily be make or break. It seems like the game's difficulty was based on expecting you to do some grinding (at least on a first playthrough; I look forward to seeing how the speedrun looks). And the thing is, the grinding is super boring, because you do it with the first boss (which is a cakewalk). The ramp up between the first boss and the second means that time-wise grinding the first boss is most efficient for your money, which makes for a boring interlude. Personally, I think the game would have done better by giving you upgrades based on boss kills; kill this boss, get this weapon, every boss gives you a heart, something like that.

But if you don't mind having to put in a bit of grind now and then it's a really fun run-and-gun. I highly recommend it if you enjoy Contra or the other games like Contra out there.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:38 pm

That game sounds awesome. I really need to get a Switch.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:31 pm

4/6: Okami HD (Switch)
I’m sure pretty much everyone here knows about Okami, so I’m not really going to explain too much, but I will briefly explain my thoughts on it. This wasn’t the first time that I played Okami, as I had previously played a large chunk of the Wii version, but this was the first time I beat the game. I don’t remember the exact reason why I didn’t beat it on the Wii, but I certainly enjoyed playing the HD version more than the older version. When I first played Okami, I remember loving the graphics, music, and characters (I think I was also fine with the combat), but one of my biggest struggles was drawing anything somewhat accuracy with the Wiimote. I remember especially having trouble with anything that required drawing a circle. With the HD version of Okami, that was a non-issue since I could use a regular controller instead. I imagine some people might find it awkward to draw shapes and lines with a controller, but I found it to be incredibly easy to do.

With that being said, I do have one small complaint. At several points in the game, you are required to do one of two mini-games. One is just fishing, which isn’t too difficult, and the other is this digging game, similar to something like Mr. Driller. The first required digging game isn’t too bad, but some of the others took me an annoyingly long time to figure out. I didn’t really enjoy them and wish I could have just skipped them.

Other than that, I really enjoyed Okami! If you haven’t played it, then I might suggest that you give it a shot :)

4/8: Katamari Damacy Reroll (Switch)
It’s not often that I replay games that I’ve already beaten as there’s just so many games I want to play, but then Katamari Damacy Reroll came out (which is a remake of Katamari Damacy). Since I hadn’t played the original in a long while, I thought it would be a good time to give it a replay.

Since I beat the original game before I was writing my thoughts on games I’ve played, I don’t know exactly what I thought of the original game. I remember enjoying it, as it was just a simple but whacky and fun game, but I had difficulty with the controls and some tough levels. With Reroll, I still had a lot of fun, but I guess some things were adjusted a bit since I had no problem beating any of the levels. In fact, I beat many of the levels with minutes to spare, which never happened in the original. This might be a downside to some if you like more difficulty in your games, but for me this was a nice change since I prefer Katamari to be more of a chill experience. As an additional bonus, Reroll has gotten a nice HD facelift and looks better than before. With this remake, I think the only complaint I have is that it’s a fairly short game, but I knew that before hand so I don’t really mind much (it’s not a full-priced game anyway).

If you like a wacky, chill game, I’d try Katamari Damacy Reroll out (or the original would be fine too honestly). Just keep in mind that Reroll only has a limited physical run in the States (and limited to Gamestop too booo), so if that’s important to you then I’d pick it up sooner rather than later.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:12 pm

2. Dusk - PC
7. Metro Exodus - PC
9. Project Warlock - PC
11. Ghost 1.0 - PC
12. Call of Duty 2 - PC
16. Shadow Warrior Classic Redux - PC

Shadow Warrior is a Build engine FPS that manages to be more juvenile than Duke Nukem 3D and has some level design problems that can cause players to get stuck due to not being able to see how to proceed. That said, it isn't terribly long and has some decent gameplay when it's being strong. It's worth playing if you're an FPS junkie, but it certainly sits in the "average" category.

Like Duke 3D, Shadow Warrior revels in appealing to "teenage" humor. The main character is full of quips, only now it's someone doing a really bad "me so solly" accent. Then add in the atomic health replacement being a fortune cookie that gives you a "Confucius say" joke and the large number of "Wang" jokes (the main character is Lo Wang). It actually manages to get all the way to painful, whereas Duke 3D had a much better balance that made it be at the level where it approached the level of decent satire.

The game's weaponry is similar to what you see in Duke 3D, but with some minor twists to fit the setting. Instead of a pistol you have shurikens, for example. For some reason they ramped up the area and damage of explosive weapons, which, combined with the many tight corridors and melee enemies, means you mostly save them for bosses to not get killed. It uses the same inventory system as Duke 3D as well, with many of the same items.

The level design is a weird mix of interesting and confusing. When the levels are working they do a good job of being representative of what might be real places. But the designers also didn't always do a good job of making it evident what paths are available to the player. A couple levels have the main path locked behind what would traditionally be a secret, so if you don't think of doing the "explore everywhere" thing you will hit a brick wall. And the final level has what seems like a ceiling actually be intended to be a smoke field; if you don't try and move through it again you'll be stuck. It's one thing when the player doesn't remember where a particular door is, but when there isn't even a path visible it's a level design miss.

There's definitely some potential here, but the game has a few too many bad pieces of gameplay (including some suicide enemies lurking right behind a door that one shot you) to call it a classic. And that's before the racist humor strikes.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:21 pm

Pretty much agree with what you said about SW: Redux.

In my younger years I thought Shadow Warrior was amazing, funny and had a great sense of exploration that Duke lacked.

I found it much harder than Duke3D (which I played a lot so knew well), but thought the humor was on point. I played the Redux version when it came out and everything about the game had aged so poorly to me.

It didn't feel challenging, it felt cheap.
It didn't feel like I had to explore levels, I felt lost due to poor design.
I didn't find any of the 'jokes' funny, they were either overtly racist or just puns on the word Wang and just missed the mark with me.

Very much a product of its time. Out of the build trilogy of games that focus on movies tropes, (Shadow Warrior = Martial Art Movies, Duke Nukem = Action Movies, Blood = Horror Movies), it is the only one I don't play on a semi regular basis.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:07 am

2. Dusk - PC
7. Metro Exodus - PC
9. Project Warlock - PC
11. Ghost 1.0 - PC
12. Call of Duty 2 - PC
16. Shadow Warrior Classic Redux - PC
17. Lost Sphear - Switch

Lost Sphear is the second game by Tokyo RPG Factory, who debuted with I Am Setsuna. Now, I loved the hell out of I Am Setsuna; it added a bit to the Chrono Trigger battle system and had an aesthetic that was a total package; the story was definitely on the bleaker side of things, and this was mirrored by the snowy landscape and the piano-only music. So I jumped into this game with high hopes. Unfortunately, Lost Sphear ends up being a weaker game overall.

The story is set in motion when a phenomenon known as Lost starts occurring in the hero's hometown; people and objects start turning into a blank whiteness. However, he discovers that he has the ability to restore the Lost by focusing on the memories of those Lost. This, he sets off to try and figure out why things are becoming Lost, and restoring those along the way. Now, this was an interesting seed for things, and the game does a good job of rendering the Lost (flat white texture with no directional lighting). But about a third of the way through the game everyone forgets the Lost are a major plot point, and instead things shift to excavating ancient mecha from ruins, then some empire building. It's only in the last third of the game do you remember that the Lost are a major problem (and not just a minor gameplay element), at which point they become the most pressing thing (as the final boss is definitely linked to it). This is sort of a microcosm of the entirety of the game's problems; a lack of focus.

Remember how I mentioned ancient mecha? That's a system in the game. In battle you can go into a robot form, which can't use basic attacks but can use your skills and a special ability with a long cooldown. They never feel fully integrated to the narrative; a good example is the AGWS from Xenosaga Episode 1; they show up, can be used, but they aren't tightly integrated like Xenogears' titular gears. Similarly, the combat system takes I Am Setsuna's combat and adds some additional layers. The first is the ability to fully reposition on your turn, finally giving Marurun the ability to maximize the various linear and area attacks to hit enemies as best as possible. The second is an extension of the Momentum mode. Not only can you activate it to boost your damage, if you equip special support items to your skills you can get a benefit (such as healing your HP or lowering enemy defense). Using momentum can trigger your skills to learn the equipped bonus, so you still maintain it even when you remove the support item (so it's a build your own uber skill system). However, you can't really make major use of this until late game, as you are very resource constrained early on which prevents you from getting many of the support items. Again, it feels a bit tacked on.

The game's skill system is also a bit cumbersome. Every skill has a cooldown to it; you can never use a skill on successive turns, and sometimes you might have to wait up to five turns between a given skill. This makes healing an especial pain, as you need to carefully consider if this is worth putting your heal on cooldown (there also is a general dearth of healing magic). And the ATB doesn't pause until you pick a skill, so when you're figuring out how to sequence things for a given enemy you're probably getting pounded on. The cooldown system would have been better served with a fully turn based system, such as FFX's. There's the potential for strategy in how you sequence your moves to maximize damage, but you frequently find yourself needing to pick things quickly.

It really feels like the game didn't have someone with a singular vision for it to provide some editorial guidance. They just kind of threw every idea they had into it and tried to get it to all come together. You end up with a middling RPG that has several interesting parts, but ultimately doesn't rise to greatness.
Ordinary Gamer
8-bit

by Ordinary Gamer Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:07 am

New member, I like this thread. I hope no one minds this post being a bit long, but I've completed a handful of cool games recently. These were all played on PS4.

The Hong Kong Massacre

So if you've played Max Payne or especially Stranglehold, you'll feel pretty comfortable with this game. It gets compared to Hotline Miami a lot, because it's a top down, one hit death game, but it feels to me like its game play roots are more in Max Payne and it's overall style comes from John Woo cinema as exemplified in Stranglehold. You basically run around blasting people using dives, ground slides and bullet time. Graphically...it looks like a John Woo movie. The music is very catchy, so much so that some youtubers have been dancing and free styling while playing this game LOL. The story isn't much to talk about, but it's not that important in a game like this. It basically consists of what you'd expect given the game's cinematic influences. A dead partner cop, a dude seeking revenge, police interrogations, Asian gang members getting murdered, and lots of birds flying around everywhere for some reason.

Since you die in one hit, a good play through of a level really does play out like a well choreographed John Woo shoot out with your character gracefully dodging bullets while popping off head shots, destroying scenery and generally just causing bloody mayhem. There's lots of destructible stuff in the environment, so you can shoot through doors, dive through windows, etc. Again, it's kind of like a top down, twin stick shooter version of Stranglehold. Every level has three challenges. Beat the time limit, kill everyone without missing a shot, and the hardest one which is finishing the stage without bullet time (I really hate that one). If you want to unlock new weapons and upgrade them, you'll need to do some of these challenges

Overall, a fun game if you like bullet time shooters, John Woo cinema, and Hotline Miami. You might also be interested in God's Trigger, a game I may eventually talk about here when I finish it

Astro Bot Rescue Mission

So basically, if you want a game with the magic of a classic Mario title on your Playstation 4, this is it. Honestly, I had more fun with this game than Mario 64 and Super Mario 3d Land. The game is just pure joy in video game form as it's hard not to constantly find yourself smiling while playing it.

It uses VR to great effect not just in creating visual spectacles, but the fun ways the game interacts with the player. You'll move Astro Bot through each level, jumping about and attacking enemies in typical platformer fashion, but you are also physically moving through each stage yourself. This means you'll have to interact with certain things in the environment, while also avoiding obstacles, and even providing assistance to your little Astro Bot through various gadgets tied to your controller, like using the dualshock as a flashlight to reveal hidden platforms for Astro Bot to use. It's almost like you're controlling two characters while playing through this game. It sounds more complicated than it is, basically you're just following Astro through each level. As you maneuver him past various enemies and obstacles, you'll be automatically moving forward through the level just behind him. Basically, you're on rails but he isn't. This creates a fun dynamic in each stage. Just to give an example, in one area you'll have Astro Bot maneuver past some canon balls and as you follow him through the same area, you might have to physically move your actual head in order to avoid one of those canon balls smacking you in the face (which causes a cool shattered glass effect on your screen)

Other than the neat, two character feature, this is your typical, collect-a-thon platformer. In each stage you'll be hunting down Astro Bot's stranded pals (eight per level), while also looking for "space chameleons" that unlock fun (and occasionally frustrating) extra challenge levels. The VR is put to good use as you'll sometimes need to look all around you to keep up with what's going on. At times Astro Bot will be moving around above you, behind you, or to the left or right of you. You'll need to look around in every direction sometimes just to find all of the hidden bots too. It's a fully, 3-dimensional experience in a way that a non-VR platformer like Mario 64 or Spyro could never be. And the first time an enemy attacks YOU instead of Astro Bot will probably catch you by surprise.

The game looks gorgeous, other than the rather low resolution and occasional blurriness and pixelation (which are problems with every PSVR game). Astro and his pals are very cute and bosses look amazing as the sense of size and scale they have in VR is incredible. These are big, giant sized enemies you'll be facing off against and you'll feel pretty small by comparison. The soundtrack is incredible with really catchy, upbeat, feel good tunes. Astro Bot will make you feel like a kid again

Honestly, Astro Bot is probably THE reason to get a PSVR. Though there are plenty of other quality titles as well (like Moss). Astro Bot has serious mascot potential

Volgarr the Viking

Volgar is HARD, like really HARD...and that's why it's great. Because if you stick with it, you WILL eventually make progress and it will feel very rewarding. This game plays a little like a Ghouls n Ghosts game, and it also has a clear influence from Rastan. You lose equipment when you take hits and if you don't have any equipment then the next hit kills you. The game is low on checkpoints, so death means replaying a significant portion of the level again, especially if you die at a boss. The death system is cool. Crystals bring you back to life using the power of Odin, so death in this game is part of the narrative. There's two paths through the game. The second one is harder and instead of crystal checkpoints, you'll have a Valkyrie following you around. She can resurrect you only a limited number of times, so on "The Path of the Valkyrie", you will need to master the game as you can't die an infinite number of times. Did I mention there's no saves? You will need to finish the Path of the Valkyrie in a single sitting, though that shouldn't be so odd to those of us raised on 8-bit, 16-bit and arcade games.

The game is meant to be tough, it's even in the game's original advertising. The thing is though, the more you play, the more familiar you become with the levels, the enemies, and each stage's hidden secrets. Little by little, the game gets easier...until eventually you master it. At which point, the game becomes almost stupidly easy. Volgarr is a methodical, almost puzzle like game. Typically, when you die it's only because you haven't figured out the right way to approach the situation. Each time you figure out how to get past a certain tough part of a stage, it gets committed to memory. Eventually you will memorize the entire level and it then becomes a cake walk. Bosses too, have predictable patterns you will eventually learn, but only after they've killed you and made you replay half a stage at least a dozen times. The game is very old school...and very metal. Seriously, there is an actual heavy metal track you will hear if you beat the game. Heck, just listen to the music in the trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN9mKr_O2og

The game has some neat mechanics, like the variety of ways you can use Volgarr's spear to not just take out enemies, but help him with platforming, and even protecting him from enemy projectiles. You have a very limited number of moves, but it's surprising the number of ways you can take advantage of them due to the game's clever level and enemy design. It's a fun game. If you like Rastan, Ghouls n Ghosts, power metal or vikings, check it out

The Messenger

Ninja Gaiden is back baby! Seriously, if you like the NG trilogy on the NES, stop reading and go play this. Honestly, the less you know about the game the better, it's full of fun surprises. If you want to know more though, read on.

So yeah, it plays a lot like the old NES games. The biggest difference is "cloud stepping". The way this works is any time you attack ANYTHING, you can perform a jump, even if you're in mid-air and have already jumped. This gives you a lot more maneuverability and flexibility than classic Ninja Gaiden. As you play through the game, you will unlock other techniques that give you even more mobility options, like air gliding, and a whip like ability that lets you latch on to objects and enemies. This game must be a dream for speed runners as the number of techniques you will acquire, in addition to cloud stepping, allow you to not only do some crazy platforming the likes of which I haven't seen since Guacamelee, but also keep your forward momentum going at all times.

Oh but there's more, you can purchase upgrades via a shop keeper, who is hands down one of the greatest characters in video game history. Seriously, this character has incredible dialog. Some of it is down right hilarious and some of it is surprisingly serious and insightful. The writing in this game is top notch. The story, while not as complex as the old Ninja Gaiden games, is very interesting and the game's mix of humor and philosophy kept my attention at all times.

Another neat thing this game does is similar to the Valkyrie I mentioned when talking about Volgarr. When you die, a little demon named Quarble will rewind time and bring you back to your last checkpoint. The catch is, he'll follow you around and steal your money until he has collected his debt for saving you, which can slow down the upgrade process for you. Also, he will endlessly troll you every...single...time...you die. Imagine the old men from The Muppet Show following you around and heckling you every time you die...and you will die. Oh yes, this game has a level of difficulty comparable to the old Ninja Gaiden games...well, maybe not THAT hard. It is tough in some parts though, especially if you hunt down the optional Power Seals, each of which requires you to overcome a difficult platforming challenge. And that's AFTER you actually find them.

There's still MORE to talk about. This game is so full of surprises. Eventually, the game will actually switch from 8-bit graphics to 16-bit graphics, for reasons you'll have to play the game to find out. The first time this happens is a true WTF moment, especially if you haven't seen any of the game's trailers. Even crazier, the game eventually goes from linear, side scroller to an actual Metroid style game. You will revisit each of the linear levels you've previously completed, but now you can switch between their original 8-bit versions and the new 16-bit versions, which will give you access to new areas, new story elements, and new bosses! It's f***ing awesome!

This game is fantastic, and it even got a nod of approval from NG's original creators:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctijWWXznFg

Okay, I'm done. That was a lot of typing :lol:
Return to General Gaming