Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by noiseredux Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:52 am

it's almost surreal to see you playing Destiny. That's great. I loved Destiny 2 - even more than the first game, though I haven't gotten around to the D2 expansions yet.
Ack

by Ack Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:54 am

Yeah, the expansions are...well, Osiris is the worst of it. Rush through that, and you'll be much better off.

And I still complain about Battle.net. But hey, Destiny 2 was being offered for free last year, and all the DLC went on heavy discount a month ago, so Fastbilly, Xen, and I grabbed it. It's another game in our pile of stuff to play on Thursday nights.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:35 pm

Games Beaten in 2019 So Far - 12
* denotes a replay

January (12 Games Beaten)
1. Army Men 3D - PlayStation - January 1*
2. Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished - NES - January 4
3. Mega Man - NES - January 6
4. Mega Man 2 - NES - January 6
5. Mega Man 3 - NES - January 6
6. Mega Man 4 - NES - January 7
7. Dr. Discord's Conquest - NES - January 7
8. Mega Man 5 - NES - January 26
9. Just Cause 3 - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. Mega Man 6 - NES - January 27
11. Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight - Vita - January 27
12. Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space - PlayStation 2 - January 27

I love Gundam. I loved the Encounters in Space compilation movie. I've loved every Gundam game I've play (except New Gundam Breaker; that game was trash). This game, however, is just...not good. I tried to like it. I really did. There's even some potential for a good game here. Unfortunately, it's just not that much fun, and they find a way to take an awesome story and make it super boring.

The game basically follows the last third of the original Mobile Suit Gundam storyline with the Federation's push to take Solomon and A Boa Qu to end the One Year War, but it doesn't do a very good job of telling that part of the story in any interesting way. That in itself was a bit of a shock to me considering that, with the exception of maybe Operation British and the Battle of Odessa, the endgame of Mobile Suit Gundam was the most exciting part of the series. Maybe it would be more interesting to someone who hasn't seen Gundam, but since I've actually seen these battles and whatnot, it just felt like a bad imitation of something incredible.

The gameplay is a really awkward 3D space combat set-up. It feels, in a lot of ways, like they had a solid plan for what they wanted to do, but then Bandai was like "Hey, by the way, you have half an hour to finish the game before we start pressing discs," and it got rushed. The whole control scheme just feels a bit unrefined to me. The lock-on controls feel cumbersome, movement feels rather sluggish, and as for weapons, your vulcan is useless whereas the beam rifle is basically a noob-tube. The melee attack feels more like a short ranged attack because to a certain extent, your mobile suit will just rocket towards the enemy even if they're a fair distance away (in the context of melee), but it's hard to tell exactly how far is too far. The entire control scheme just feels extremely rushed to me.

Visually, the game looks pretty good for the most part. The mobile suits themselves lacked some detail that I think could have been a big boon for the game, but overall, it's a good looking game given how abysmal the PS2's video quality tends to be (at least in my opinion). The sound design is fine, but it would have benefited a lot from the inclusion of more music, sound effects, and voice clips from the show. It certainly would have made it feel a lot more "Gundam."

Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space is okay I guess, but it just does not hold up well against either other Gundam games that I've played or the compilation film on which it's based. The controls feel rushed and unpolished, and while the visuals are pretty nice, that doesn't make up for the disappointing gameplay and lackluster storytelling. If you find this for $5 or less, then sure, it's worth it for a Gundam fan, but honestly, I really just can't recommend this one. It was mostly just boring to me.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:24 pm

1. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Famicom)
2. Dragon Scroll: Yomigaerishi Maryuu (Famicom)
3. Ninja-kun: Majou no Bouken (Famicom)
4. Hello Kitty World (Famicom)
5. Galaxian (Famicom)
6. Esper Dream 2: Aratanaru Tatakai (Famicom)
7. Ninja Jajamaru-kun (Famicom)
8. Jajamaru no Daibouken (Famicom)
9. Front Line (Famicom)
10. Field Combat (Famicom)
ImageImage
Field Combat originated in the arcades in 1985. This here Famicom port appeared mere months later, courtesy of the (un)holy TOSE/Jaleco alliance. The game then had the gall to show up on the Virtual Console, twenty-two years after the fact.

Field Combat is a clunker, an unsteady janky slab of a game. Admittedly, there are some good ideas to be found herein. This is indeed an early example of a real-time strategy game (RTS), or at least a precursor to the genre. The player takes control of the Genesis (I'll spare you any jokes about Blast Processing), a futuristic spaceship tasked with clearing a series of battlefields. Stages, of which there are six, are presented in a top-down format, with each environment only consisting of a couple screen stacked vertically. Attempting to thwart the Genesis are a series of bright red combatants: infantrymen, tanks, and helicopters. These belligerents can be dealt with in two ways. Pressing A will launch a missile that can either stun or outright destroy foes. Pressing B will emit a space ray that can capture enemies, who then subsequently become (blue) AI allies of the Genesis. The Genesis itself unfortunately moves like a snail, and both attacks are pitifully short-ranged. A cursor (straight outta Xevious) aids in aiming.
ImageImage
Stages conclude with a boss battle: a cluttered skirmish against a series of mounted turrets aided by the Reds. This is where the Genesis needs to call in the collected reinforcements. It's also where the game's adherence to arcade controls becomes a hindrance. There are no menus in Field Combat, no proper way of selecting what allies are to charge the enemy. The Blues are called in by pressing A and B simultaneously. There player is only given a modicum of control regarding who shows up: a small box in the screen's bottom-right corner displays reinforcements. It rotates every few seconds, and the featured allies are the ones who come rolling in when A and B are pressed. That said, I don't even know if it makes any difference. Friends and foes all seem pretty evenly matched in terms of speed and strength.

Ultimately, each stage of Field Combat progresses in the same way. Begin at the bottom of a stage, slowly gather blue buddies, then progress a small bit upward, call out the Blues and blast away at the turrets. Mercifully, bullets are color-coded to match those who fire them, so while the screen does inevitably morph into a chaotic mess avoiding enemy fire is still somewhat feasible. This isn't a pretty game. Stage backgrounds are incredibly garish, and stage designs themselves are only distinguished by the varying haphazardly-placed "obstacles." There's little music to be found, save for an overly-chipper and quickly-looping rendition of "Ride of the Valkyries."

Field Combat offers up little in the way of a compelling experience. Any positive attributes it possesses are marred by a clunky interface, sub-Atari controls, and ghastly aesthetics. Best to leave this one to be unearthed only by the most intrepid and masochistic Famicom spelunkers.
Ack

by Ack Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:50 pm

But is it better than Combat on the 2600?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:18 pm

Ack wrote:But is it better than Combat on the 2600?

Oh hell no. And it isn't even close. The elite Atari games utterly destroy the early Famicom riff-raff.
Ack

by Ack Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:39 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
Ack wrote:But is it better than Combat on the 2600?

Oh hell no. And it isn't even close. The elite Atari games utterly destroy the early Famicom riff-raff.

If ever we meet, we are playing some Combat, my friend. I'll get my ass kicked, but it will be an ass kicking from a true connoisseur.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:14 am

Yes. You would get boned.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:51 pm

Games Beaten in 2019 So Far - 13
* denotes a replay

January (12 Games Beaten)
1. Army Men 3D - PlayStation - January 1*
2. Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished - NES - January 4
3. Mega Man - NES - January 6
4. Mega Man 2 - NES - January 6
5. Mega Man 3 - NES - January 6
6. Mega Man 4 - NES - January 7
7. Dr. Discord's Conquest - NES - January 7
8. Mega Man 5 - NES - January 26
9. Just Cause 3 - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. Mega Man 6 - NES - January 27
11. Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight - Vita - January 27

February (1 Game Beaten)
13. Earth Defense Force 5 - PlayStation 4 - February 2

13. Earth Defense Force 5 - PlayStation 4 - February 2

Earth Defense Force is my guiltiest of testosterone pleasures. The whole series from the earliest game on PS2 to this most recent one on PS4 are objectively mediocre games, and they were originally designed to be budget titles. But DAMN, is it ever fun to massacre entire swarms of 50 foot tall insects with huge rocket launchers. It's like what would happen if SyFy ever hired me to make one of their crappy made-for-TV monster movies. It's truly a thing of beauty.

The basic story in EDF - all of them, pretty much - is that giant insects appear and start destroying cities, marking the beginning of an alien invasion. Then you, as a proud soldier of the Earth Defense Force, must bravely charge into battle with your weapon of choice, be it a sniper rifle, rocket launcher, shotgun, whatever, and use the blessing of unlimited ammo to massacre the invaders and keep those aliens out of our home! WE'RE GONNA BUILD A GREAT, GREAT SPACE WALL, AND WE'RE GONNA MAKE THE ALIENS PAY FOR IT! WITH BLOOD! Literally nothing about this game takes itself seriously, and that's honestly its biggest strength. It's absurdly ridiculous, and it embraces that whole heartedly from the ludicrous concept to the over the top voice acting.

Unfortunately for us Westerners, EDF5 is the first game in the series not to be released physically in North America since the series first debuted here. You can get is on PSN for the normal $60, but if you want it physical, you've gotta import it. Fortunately there's an Asia English version available, and at least when I pre-ordered it from Play-Asia back in November, it actually ended up being about $7 or $8 cheaper (once you factor in tax) even with the shipping. Not sure why since I usually pay a premium for a physical import vs digital, but I'm not complaining. Hell, I'd have paid an extra $20 to have it physical; Earth Defense Force is one of my obsessive-lunatic series alongside Legend of Zelda, Fire Emblem, and Army Men.

Earth Defense Force 5 is a really stupid game. It's the same kind of stupid as when my friends and I duct taped a lawn chair to a skateboard, tied a rope to the back of a 4 wheeler and tied a handle to the other end, and had the 4 wheeler pull us like dry land redneck wakeboarding. What I mean by that is that it's objectively stupid, but it's also objectively freaking amazing. If you're into that kind of stupid, there are few games that will give you as good a time as Earth Defense Force, and this latest entry in the series on the PlayStation 4 performs better than any of its predecessors with the series' staple frame rate drops pretty much limited to heavy action scenes, and I didn't have the game outright crash on me a single time. It looks great (given what series it is ), and it controls super well, too. All in all, I don't have any complaints. Normal people would probably have very few complaints. With 110 levels, 5 difficulties, and multiplayer, too, there's a TON of content here to experience.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ack

by Ack Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:34 pm

The EDF deploys.
Return to General Gaming