Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:20 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:I also have kind of a Wii U fetish

Go on...

Hey Elkin, did you actually beat three Mega Man games on January 6th?

:lol:

I will! The Wii U is home to a lot of games still being released for the Switch (which makes business sense for Nintendo because : (1) they are really good games; and (2) no one played them on the Wii U). I like definitive or enhanced versions just fine, but as DSH noted, used Wii U games are pretty cheap right now. (Also, the Switch upcharge for some games - especially iOS ports - is borderline criminal.)

Also, the Wii U Virtual Console is really strong, with a wide array of N64 and TG16 games you can’t get elsewhere (yet). There are also a few really solid games, like Earthbound Beginnings, Sin & Punishment, and Ufouria that weren’t originally released in North America. Also, it is backwardly compatible with the Wii, meaning the library of retro games available for the system is immense.

Finally, the Wii U eShop is full of pretty great indie titles. A lot of these are making their way to the Switch, but I’m not sure all of them will (or, frankly, should) make it there. Epic Dumpster Bear remains a console exclusive, and all of these games are just fine on the Wii U.

I recognize that the Wii U is a deeply, deeply flawed system. (The comtroller’s battery life and lack of Bluetooth headphone support is almost unforgivable.) So were the Game Gear. Saturn, and TG16. That a system is deeply flawed doesn’t render it less fun or mean that there aren’t some great experiences available on it, and I expect to squeeze a lot of fun out of my Wii U in the coming years.
Arenegeth
24-bit

by Arenegeth Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:00 pm

noiseredux wrote:Yeah I get that. My preference is definitely Switch > Wii U > 3DS when there's options.

My preference is generally what's more objectively superior. Though I value content over performance, but unfortunately sometimes things aren't that simple.

I have endlessly procrastinated on which version of Rayman 2 I should get for example, as there's reasons to get the game on Dreamcast, PS2 and even PS1 despite being the most objectively inferior version. I settled for the Dreamcast version for the time being, but I'll probably end up getting all of them at some point so I won't feel like I'm missing out.

ZombiU on the Wii U is another odd example, the ports are theoretically superior on content (they have two extra melee weapons) and they run on higher resolution. But the game was so ingrained to the Wii U Pad it doesn't play as good without it, plus Ubisoft botched the ports when it comes to performance.

I wish I had a console fetish (well maybe the PS1 a bit) it would make picking up different versions a lot more easier.

The most expensive version of Hyrule Warriors by the way, would be the American Wii U Limited Edition. It was exclusive to the Nintendo New York store, and thus very limited in actual quantities. It is identical to the European Limited Edition otherwise, but I'm too scared to even look on how much the American edition goes for these days, some copies sold for like $500 back near release.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:06 pm

I want to make it very clear that zombi u on any system outside of the wii u is very I ferior. It lacks the multi-player game mode which is awesome and removes the map, second screen scanning, secondary audio fed through the game pad, second screen inventory management... All things that make the game more unique and engaging.

The big thing is the loss of asynchronous multi-player. That mode was severely overlooked and is genuinely an awesome experience in and of itself. 2 melee weapons do not make up for the actual vision of the game being compromised.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:14 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote: :lol:

I will! The Wii U is home to a lot of games still being released for the Switch (which makes business sense for Nintendo because : (1) they are really good games; and (2) no one played them on the Wii U). I like definitive or enhanced versions just fine, but as DSH noted, used Wii U games are pretty cheap right now.

Also, the Wii U Virtual Console is really strong, with a wide array of N64 and TG16 games you can’t get elsewhere (yet). There are also a few really solid games, like Earthbound Beginnings, Sin & Punishment, and Ufouria that weren’t originally released in North America. Also, it is backwardly compatible with the Wii, meaning the library of retro games available for the system is immense.

Finally, the Wii U eShop is full of pretty great indie titles. A lot of these are making their way to the Switch, but I’m not sure all of them will (or, frankly, should) make it there. Epic Dumpster Bear remains a console exclusive, and all of these games are just fine on the Wii U.

I recognize that the Wii U is a deeply, deeply flawed system. So we’re the Game Gear. Saturn, and TG16. That a system is deeply flawed doesn’t render it with less, and I expect to squeeze a lot of fun out of my Wii U in the coming years.

I agree with all of your points. The Wii U was always a unique system that we kept "almost buying." So when I finally got one last month, I realized what a great time to buy Wii U stuff it is. The games are soooo cheap! I got Wind Waker for $15. Think about that. One of the greatest games of all time, and this is the only (legit) way to play it in HD. And it was $15. Unreal.

The Wii U is also my preferred Virtual Console. The tablet screen is so much bigger than playing on 3DS. Since I don't often take my 3DS out of the house, this is fine for me. And it has the added benefit of being able to play those games on a big screen, or with a second player. Not to mention the games on it that aren't available on 3DS.

And as stated, there are times when I'll prefer to get a Switch port of a Wii U game. But if there's no real compelling reason, then the Wii U version is always way cheaper. Plus there's no Madden on Switch. 8)
Arenegeth
24-bit

by Arenegeth Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:23 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:2 melee weapons do not make up for the actual vision of the game being compromised.

I agree. Which is why I only got the game for the Wii U and that's only where I would ever play it.

Which is exactly why I mentioned it, because despite the Wii U version being a superior experience overall, it is not that clear to distinguish if you just look at the objective facts, like the additional weapons and higher resolution.

The reason the Wii U version is superior is for the reasons you mentioned and they may not be as clear to people unfamiliar with the game and trying to pick what the 'best' version to play is, in 2019.

Which is why is an odd example I thought worth mentioning, since both content and performance (if you look at resolution alone in this case) are not always the best reasons to pick a version over another.

Then on the other hand, multiplayer is completely irrelevant to me, so that wouldn't even qualify when picking which version to get.

I guess the ultimate point is that I get a headache half the time when I try to decide which version of game to get, when there's so many multi-varied factors to look into sometimes.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:31 pm

Arenegeth wrote:I guess the ultimate point is that I get a headache half the time when I try to decide which version of game to get, when there's so many multi-varied factors to look into sometimes.

This is actually part of the reason why I tend to prefer just having a few select consoles instead of "everything."

"In ancient Rome there was a poem about a dog who had two bones. He picked at one, he licked the other, he went in circles 'till he dropped dead,"
Arenegeth
24-bit

by Arenegeth Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:16 pm

noiseredux wrote:This is actually part of the reason why I tend to prefer just having a few select consoles instead of "everything."

Nah, you have to have everything for the exclusives anyway.

Or you used to, until Microsoft came along with the Xbox One that is. I can't think of a single exclusive I must have for the system, and that is why I don't have an Xbox One yet.
strangenova
Next-Gen

by strangenova Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:26 pm

When it comes to picking up multiplatform games, I just look for the genesis version. :lol:

Seriously though I tend to get the new port version so I can have easy access to it. My setup is limited and I only leave my newest systems hooked up all the time, so I prefer to be able to just sit down and play. I avoid having to break out a system and wires if possible.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:10 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Hey Elkin, did you actually beat three Mega Man games on January 6th?

lol that was all I did from the time I got up until the time I went to bed that day, and I shamelessly made heavy use of save states. I also had a flake helping me out with the order in which to tackle robot masters.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:54 am

Games Beaten in 2019 So Far - 6
* denotes a replay

January (6 Games Beaten)
1. Army Men 3D - PlayStation - January 1*
2. Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished - NES - January 4
3. Mega Man - NES - January 6
4. Mega Man 2 - NES - January 6
5. Mega Man 3 - NES - January 6
6. Mega Man 4 - NES - January 7

6. Mega Man 4 - NES - January 7

I spent a good ten minutes trying to think of some halfway decent intro for this review, but after reviewing four Mega Man games in a row (excluding the MLP fan hack of Mega Man 3 that I'll be reviewing soon...or five if you count that one), I got nothing. The NES games all play so similarly that an intro seems rather pointless. Continuing my admittedly excessive critique of the box art, though, this is the best looking Mega Man of the four. He still looks like an evil ventriloquist's dummy, but it's the most normal looking Mega Man we've gotten so far. The gameplay maintains the high standards set by Mega Man 2 and Mega Man 3, but as for overall game design...it leaves some to be desired.

In terms of game mechanics and control, Mega Man 4 is fantastic. In terms of visuals and music, Mega Man 4 is great. In terms of enemy and robot master design, Mega Man 4 is a bizarre step down in quality from its predecessors. To the game's credit, Capcom did give each level an obstacle that's unique to that level, but when the boss at the end of that level feels lackluster and rather uninspired, it doesn't really break even. It feels a lot like some of the Pokemon in Black/White or X/Y like friggin' "Roggenrolla" or literally an ice cream cone. Like the inspiration just wasn't there this go around.

Mega Man 4 also replaces Dr. Wily (at least initially) as the antagonist and replaces him with some lame Soviet Ruskie named Dr. Cossack who just happens to build robots that are just uninspired rip-offs of Dr. Wily's minions. That's not to say that Cossack ruins the game or anything, but it does seem like an unusual shift. The slide returns from Mega Man 3 along with the addition of a charged shot that does additional damage. That's balanced, however, with what feels like dramatically increased enemy health. That might be all in my head, but it felt like the enemies were a lot tougher, at times in excess of the added damage of the charge shot.

Mega Man 4 is definitely a step down in terms of overall design from the high standards of 2 and 3, but that's certainly not to say that it's a bad game by any stretch of the imagination. The robot masters may feel a little uninspired this go around, but the game design and mechanics overall are still rock solid, the visuals are still fantastic, the music still phenomenal, and the platforming is still superb. It's not as satisfying overall as Mega Man 2 or Mega Man 3 in my opinion, but it's still a damn good Mega Man experience.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Return to General Gaming