Games Beaten 2019

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2019

Post by Ack »

lordb0rb4 wrote:I'm at the very end of the first big mission and while i do enjoy the freedom of choice i was bit overwhelmed with so many audio and collectables.
Would you say it's necessary to beat the game?

Not at all. You can beat the game without ever finding any runes, you can fight your way through if you like, you can do low or high chaos...that's all up to you.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

Ack wrote:
lordb0rb4 wrote:I'm at the very end of the first big mission and while i do enjoy the freedom of choice i was bit overwhelmed with so many audio and collectables.
Would you say it's necessary to beat the game?

Not at all. You can beat the game without ever finding any runes, you can fight your way through if you like, you can do low or high chaos...that's all up to you.

That was EXACTLY what i wanted to know,it is not that i'm rushing through like crazy ,but i'm happy to know that i don't have to search every corner to enjoy this game.
Thank you!
Ack

Post by Ack »

Happy to help.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

∞ IQ M&M review.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Dog playing poker painted on velvet in gold-leaf level review, bone
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Tanks. Wrote a bit about the Genesis game here, really just highlighting the difference between it and the PCE game.
ImageImage
Taito's final port of the action-RPG arcade smash Cadash arrived on the Sega Genesis in 1992. Strangely, this variant was never released in Japan, despite the fact that it was indeed published by Taito themselves (as opposed to Acclaim or whatever). Apparently there's a South Korean version out there as well.

The story is the same. A king tasks a lone warrior (or duo) to rescue his daughter, who has been kidnapped by a Balrog (which is indeed referred to by its proper name and not some random misspelling). Because the game sports a three-letter name entry screen the king refers to the player by their initials, which is kind of amusing. The most glaring issue with Genesis Cadash is apparent from the get-go. While two-player co-op remains the game's selling point, two of the character classes are unavailable. Tragically, it's the ninja and priestess who've been wiped out, the two most interesting protagonists of the arcade original and the TurboGrafx port. This leaves the fighter and mage. The fighter's the obvious choice for beginners. A big burly dude who resembles the hero of Taito's own Rastan, the fighter hits hard and doesn't need to rely on any of that wimpy "magic" to get by. In contrast, the mage has a less effective attack, but can cast some hefty offensive spells. Magic use depletes a meter, and spells are awkwardly cast by holding down the attack button and waiting for the appropriate conjuration to appear from a scrolling list.

The game layout remains similar to that of other two Cadash variations, containing a series of five large "levels" and several towns intermingled within. Stage configurations have been altered slightly for the Genesis port, which feels a touch more simplistic than others. Also, the giant kelp boss is missing entirely (c'mon now, don't deprive me of my kelp!). The graphical design has additionally been overhauled, and the resulting visuals look fantastic. In contrast to the "soft" look of the TurboGrafx port, Genesis Cadash is darker, grittier, and more detailed. The camera's "zoomed in" so sprites are massive. It's just a "tough" looking game overall. The soundtrack meshes well with the Genesis sound chip, even if the the song selection is a bit uneven. Once again, it's those chilled out slower themes that sound the best.
ImageImage
Controls are very good, and surprisingly fluid given the size of the sprites. Combat is a blast, against a never-ending stream of weird and wild fantasy creatures. The game's difficultly level is a bit of a paradox. I find myself dying here much more often than I would in the TurboGrafx port, but the Genesis version is much more generous about doling out additional lives and continues. It's even possible to purchase the full-HP-recovery elixirs in item shops, albeit at a steep price that is raised exponentially as the game progresses. It's also harder to power-level here, and each level-up provides but an incremental change to statistics. Speaking of stats, pressing the Start button brings up a menu displaying all the current relevant information (attack and defense scores, number of items obtained, experience needed to level up). It's enormously helpful, though items are still set to automatic use when HP hits zero or poison takes effect. Much like the Genesis port of Exile, Genesis Cadash is the "non-Working Designs" version of the game. Expect only straightforward dialogue with nary a joke in sight. Not that this game is heavy on the conversations.

It's been years since I've had the Cadash experience (or pleasure). In the dark recesses of my mind, I had the TurboGrafx port ranked high above this one. But having just played them back-to-back, I feel as if they're about even, just different. While the TurboGrafx gets a nod for including the entire foursome of heroes, there's still a tremendous amount to like about this Genesis interpretation. There really isn't another game like Cadash. It's certainly an RPG. The combat isn't nuanced enough to consider it a beat 'em up. And the game's not non-linear enough to qualify for "Metroidvania" status. It's a true platformer / RPG hybrid, and in a class by itself. Highly recommended. One of the cutest gaming princesses to boot.
Ack

Post by Ack »

How does Cadash compare to "arcade RPG" Magic Sword? It sounds like it's considerably more RPG-esque than King of Dragons, but are there other games you'd like it to?
marurun

Post by marurun »

Bone, I commented back when you first posted your comparison, noting that I had played both back to back some time ago. Here are my thoughts.

My original post here (viewtopic.php?f=32&t=11067&p=107861#p107861) includes a few comparison images that did not survive the quotes below.

marurun wrote:I just finished beating both the Genesis and TG-16 versions of Cadash. I used the Fighter in both games because I wanted something like an even-keel comparison of the games.

If you're not familiar with Cadash, it's an older arcade game by Taito. It's side-scrolling, fantasy-themed, with RPG elements. In the arcade there's a timer going and if you run out of time you die, though you can buy hourglass time increases with gold or just pop in another quarter to increase the timer. You pick between the fighter, mage, ninja, and priest and sally forth to rescue the princess from the evil wizard. Along the way you fight monsters for experience and gold. Gold can be spent on items like herbs and antidotes and also on better weapons and armor. In the arcade 2 people can play together on one machine, or two machines can be networked and 4 players can play, 2 to a cab. On the same cab you have to be on the same screen, but if you're on a different cab you can be off screen or even on a different level altogether. So how to the home ports play out?

Gameplay
Both the Genesis and TG-16 versions of the game support 2 players. The Genesis, however, only has the fighter and the mage as available characters. The TG-16 version has all 4 characters available from the arcade: fighter, mage, ninja, priest. The lack of character options on the Genesis means playing 2 player is pretty rote. One player is the fighter and the other is the mage. 2 player mode on the TG-16 is a lot more fun due to there being so many more character combinations. Both aggressive? Fighter and Ninja. One aggressive and the other more thoughtful? Fighter or Ninja and Mage or Priest. Suicidal? Mage and Priest! The Genesis version plays a little closer to the arcade control-wise and the level layouts are a little closer to the arcade version as well. The TG-16 version has slightly more responsive and easier-to-deal-with controls. The level layouts vary a little in some areas and, though mostly similar to the arcade and the Genesis versions, the differences are enough that the game does feel a little different. The level changes match some of the graphical changes mentioned below. The Genesis version is also missing a mid-boss in one level and the Genesis and TG-16 versions both have very different last boss experiences. I'm not going to figure the last boss differences into who wins, though. Due to the lack of characters in the Genesis version and the better play control on the TG-16 version, the TG-16 gets a clear win here, especially for 2-player play.

Sound & Music
The Genesis sounds more like the arcade original in the music department largely by virtue of having a few FM synth channels available. The arcade used FM synth in the music, so this is a close match. The TG-16 doesn't use FM synth and so approximates using chip sound. In places the TG-16 tracks sound better, even though not as much like the arcade. In other places the Genesis clearly sounds better. It depends largely on the tune. The sound effects in the TG-16 version sound better than the Genesis sound effects, though neither is particularly awe inspiring. I'm going to give the Genesis a narrow win for the arcade-like FM synth, but this category is relatively close.

Graphics
The Genesis version is in 320x240, the standard resolution for most Genesis games. The size and style of the character and enemy sprites and the level graphics and backgrounds are relatively close to the arcade version except that, in true Genesis fashion, the color counts are dismal. The fighter is tall and lanky like in the arcade, but he looks a little like a zombie due to low color count and odd coloration choices. Levels flow pretty well without much of a "tiled" look, and true to the arcade there's usually an independently scrolling backplane. This is nothing special for the Genesis. Overall a decent arcade port, but damn those low color counts are painful. Not the best programming job from the graphics department.

The TG-16 version is very different graphically. The game uses the TG-16's standard 256x240 resolution (also standard resolution for most SNES games, BTW) and thus most of the character and enemy sprites have been redrawn to be smaller. The levels have also been redone with a different graphical feel. There are more "tile-based" graphics and level elements flow a little less naturally than in the arcade and Genesis versions. The TG-16 makes up for this by majorly upping the color count for, well, everything. The game is lighter and more colorful everywhere. So while the Genesis sprites match the arcade sprites in pixels the low colors make them look low in detail. On the flip side, the TG-16 sprites are smaller in pixel count but the redone sprites and the higher color counts actually make most of the TG-16 character and enemy sprites look more detailed than their Genesis counterparts. The level designs have been, in some places compacted, in other cases redone slightly, in order to accommodate the smaller screen resolution and smaller sprites. So some levels feel a little more compact visually even though they play largely the same. The TG-16 version also lacks the independently scrolling backplane, though there are some areas where there appears to be no good technical reason for this. In a couple places it seems certain elements were changed to reduce the sprite load on the TG-16, even though the game never comes close to pushing the sprite limit. There are some distinct areas where the TG-16 features not simply redone but unequivocally better graphics. There are some statues in the game which swing spiked balls on chains, and in the TG-16 version the statues are much larger and more detailed, and the swinging of the balls on the chains is much more fluid than on the Genesis.

This is a win for both. For arcade purists the Genesis version is a win. For just plain visual appeal I prefer the TG-16 version. It simply is easier on the eyes thanks to much better use of color and much higher color counts. Also, the redone sprites, though smaller, appear to be much more detailed in many cases.

In both home versions you set out to rescue the princess. There are minor level variations, making it harder in the TG-16 version to skip one of the levels and get more advanced gear ahead of schedule. The last boss is a little different between the two versions. The Genesis version lacks 2 of the 4 playable characters and a midboss but is overall more arcade accurate. If you have the liberty I encourage you to play both, but if you are, say, emulating and only want to play one, I have to recommend the TG-16 version. It's just a bit easier to deal with all around. Both games are lots of fun, though, and easy to beat quickly if you pick on on some of the game's tricks early. Be careful, though. In the Genesis version you have several lives/continues. In the TG-16 version you have to use a code to continue. This can be hard on new players because if you die and you don't know the code, you stay dead. If you play 2-player you can revive your cohort at an inn, though, as long as one of you survives. In the Genesis version you are limited to carrying 4 each of items like herbs and antidotes. In the TG-16 version you can carry either 6 or 7 each, though you can't pull up your character stats, gold, experience, and items like you can on the Genesis version, meaning you have to guess when you are close to a level up or to having enough money for that expensive weapon. The Genesis version might thus be a little easier for total newbies to Cadash, though if you can take the rougher start on the TG-16 version I think you'll get more out of it.

For new players I recommend either the Fighter (both versions) or the Ninja (TG-16 only). For players who want a little more challenge I recommend the Mage (both versions). For players who have a little Cadash experience and want to dabble in magic but aren't comfortable enough to try the Mage, I recommend the Priest (TG-16 only). Some would argue the priest is actually the most powerful character because she has shield magic that can protect her from harm and a very long range weapon. The US version of the TG-16 game, translated by Working Designs, actually has some of the characters stats adjusted a little to make the Priest less overpowering compared to the Japanese version, though she's still a strong character. They didn't make the Priest weaker, but rather adjusted the other characters up a little. In all versions of the game the Mage advances in level the quickest due to the character being difficult to use (though spells are hell on bosses). The Fighter is the next quickest to level. On the TG-16 version the Priest is next fastest to level, and the Ninja is the slowest character to level, in part due to having the longest range attack and the highest natural defense (before armor). The Fighter levels quickly because, even though he's powerful, a lot of that power is dependent upon being in the enemy's face with your sword and on buying lots of weapon and armor upgrades, making the Fighter also the most expensive character.

I recommend Cadash to most takers. It's a short game that easy to beat once you've got the feel for it, though it can be daunting to new players. Whichever version you play will have high points, either a more organic level design and more similarity with the arcade or better colors and detail at the expense of varying more from the arcade version. Take your pick, you won't go wrong with either version.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Ack wrote:How does Cadash compare to "arcade RPG" Magic Sword? It sounds like it's considerably more RPG-esque than King of Dragons, but are there other games you'd like it to?

Magic Sword is much faster and more arcade-y. Cadash actually feels a bit more like a console-hybrid title, and the port actually didn't change much from the arcade save removing the ever-decrementing timer. Basically, in the arcade, it was harder to grind for cash and experience because you had that timer ticking down over your head the whole time. In a way, it feels a little like one of those old PlayChoice units where you play an NES console game but with a timer. Cadash is quite a bit slower and feels more exploratory. There's more vertical exploration and doubling back. You are constantly unlocking shortcuts back to the last town area from the end of the next level. So while the game is largely linear, there is at least one area where you can get equipment before you should probably have it (though you can't unlock the next area until you go the long way).
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

marurun wrote:Bone, I commented back when you first posted your comparison, noting that I had played both back to back some time ago. Here are my thoughts.

My original post here (viewtopic.php?f=32&t=11067&p=107861#p107861) includes a few comparison images that did not survive the quotes below.

Good shit my dude. I do recall seeing this two years ago. I re-reviewed the games in such a way that would meet the stringent GameFAQs standards (lol) though I admittedly copy/pasted a bunch from last time. 8)

Ack wrote:How does Cadash compare to "arcade RPG" Magic Sword? It sounds like it's considerably more RPG-esque than King of Dragons, but are there other games you'd like it to?

To me Cadash feels quite similar to Exile and Ys III (which of course were computer-to-console games, not arcade-to-console games). All are linear, on the short side, somewhat grindy with quickly respawning enemies, and have dungeons that almost feel like standard platforming stages.

Additionally, Ys III and Exile were also both on the PCE (well, CD) and Genesis.