Games Beaten 2019

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2019

Post by Ack »

Legit question: do any of us actually not like the original Mega Man series?
marurun

Post by marurun »

It is very possible, and in fact reasonable, to have mixed feelings about a given classic Mega Man game, but I am not sure I have met anyone who was truly put out by the classic series as a whole.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Ack wrote:Legit question: do any of us actually not like the original Mega Man series?

I haven't played any of the original ones, but I have tried out a few in the X series and I really didn't like those. I didn't really think they were bad or anything but I'm not really a big fan of platformers (especially 2D ones) and the X games I tried were just too difficult for me. I know the original series is different from the X series but they don't really look like games that I would enjoy playing.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

If you thought the X games platforming was too hard you would not like the classic games.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

laurenhiya21 wrote:
Ack wrote:Legit question: do any of us actually not like the original Mega Man series?

I haven't played any of the original ones, but I have tried out a few in the X series and I really didn't like those. I didn't really think they were bad or anything but I'm not really a big fan of platformers (especially 2D ones) and the X games I tried were just too difficult for me. I know the original series is different from the X series but they don't really look like games that I would enjoy playing.

Classic Mega Man is one of my all time favorite series of video games but I do not enjoy the X games, so it is possible to like one and not the other. The original Mega Man series is challenging, but for different reasons than the x series, and in later entries when you can farm for screws and e-tanks they become much more user friendly.

If you wanted to ever play some classic mega man the best place to start would be mega man 11, they have a lot of difficulty options which make the game far more accessible to a much wider range of players, then if you find you enjoy it you can always try branching off to some of the easier mega mans, like 5 and 7.

Just don't start with the original, it is a great game, but it is one of the more difficult in the series and it is the only game without a save/password feature.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

I don't know about 'don't like' but I never actually played any of the original series (or X for that matter).

Well that's not entirely true, I did play Rockman 1-3 on a friends bootleg Famicom, back when I was like 10-11, but I'm not sure if that counts since I probably didn't even spend more than 15 minutes on all of them combined.

Then some years later, I rented The Wily Wars for the Mega Drive, and found it frustratingly difficult, but I was a stupid kid back then, so what did I know?

I think the only Mega Man game I've played from start to finish to this day was Megaman Legend 2.

Well, I'm open to giving the series a shot one day, but I'm a little turned off on side scrollers in general these days, played too many of them throughout the years.

But who knows, one day...
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

Post by Violent By Design »

I like the original Megaman series a lot more than the X series. Something about the X series feels a bit more flash than substance - actually I feel that way about a lot of SNES titles.

I hear Megaman Zero is the truth though, that'd be a great series to dive into one day.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I don't really like any of the Mega Man (or X, or Legends, etc.) games, despite having tried most of them at various points. I am also not certain if I have ever completed one...I typically find them to be a bit boring and/or stiff for my liking and stop playing after a few stages.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2019!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. Power Stone 2 (SDC)
2. Radiata Stories (PS2)

3. Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball (NES)

I beat Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball on the Nintendo Entertainment System this evening!

Dusty Diamond's has always been a part of my life and it started in my childhood. My brothers loved NES baseball games and I think we played, rented or owned every single one of them on the system. One year, my brother came from college with Dusty Diamond's as it was a game none of us had ever seen or heard of before. It instantly became a multiplayer classic and just an absolute blast to play with friends. It infected my friend and his little brother as it took forever for him to find a copy. From then on, I'd play with them the same addicting multiplayer experience. Last year, my friend and I went to a gaming convention and he bought Dusty Diamond's in the box, so he sold me a copy of the game and I finally had a copy of my own. After playing it for over 27 years, I finally sat down and played through the game single player.

Besides the multiplayer action, Dusty Diamond's is the most unique baseball game on the NES. For one, it is soft ball, so you can either do a fast pitch or a slow lobbing pitch. I've only ever done slow pitch, so the game feels less competitive of trying to strike each other out and more like a scoring affair. Also, there are no teams. You have a character selection screen of 60 characters, each with their own unique stats, abilities and look to them. Characters such as a demon named Diablo or a witch named Zelda or a guy named Froggy who bounces instead of running are all part of the roster. Also, each place to play is different. You play in a schoolyard where if you hit a window, you are out. The park has a small lake in the middle while the sandlot looks like it is full of dirt. All of this makes for the most fun and unique experiences with baseball on the NES. It feels like a bunch of kids getting together, picking sides, making rules and then playing a quick game of softball. It doesn't feel serious and is just a good time had by all.

Overall, Dusty Diamond's will always have a special place in my heart and childhood for what it is. It was one of those games that I thought I'd never own and has such a lore to it. The game is a staple to me and my friends. The game play isn't perfect or all that deep. With everybody having fast throwing and moving slow, you only a get single or home run. But, for a multiplayer baseball game that is a blast to play and completely unique, Dusty Diamond's can't be beat.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

I love every Mega Man game, but I haven’t yet beaten Mega Man 11, Wily Wars, or the portable games, I love the first four Mega Man X games, but I couldn’t get into Mega Man X5. I also couldn’t get into Mega Man Zero, and I haven’t given Megan Man Battle Network, Mega Man Legends, Mega Man Star Force, or Mega Man ZX a fair shake.

1. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary (NDS)
2. Reigns (iOS)
3. Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)
4. Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge (GB)
5. Castlevania Legends (GB)

Poor Sonia Belmont...She was supposed to be the matriarch of the legendary Belmont clan. Unfortunately, however, her game got farmed out to KCE Nagoya, was released for the original Gameboy in 1997, was produced in such small quantities that it’s now a pricey collector’s item, and was played by almost no one. She’s now been retconned out of the Castlevania seres, which is no worse for game’s absence.

Despite its price, Castlevania Legends is not a good game. It doesn’t control as poorly as Castlevania: The Adventure, but it does not control nearly as well as Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge. It is also plagued by slowdown, and the music is pretty terrible (despite a few arrangements of classic Castlevania themes). Worse, the game is simultaneously annoying, boring, and incredibly easy. The levels branch, but there is only one way through the stage. Accordingly, all of thbranches are dead ends, and you always have to backtrack (very, very slowly) to the main branch if you make a wrong turn. The level design is otherwise boring, and since you acquire sub-weapons by beating bosses, the only items you pick up from candles are single hearts. (You may find a 1up or meat very occasionally, but 99.9% of the items in the game are just...single...hearts...) The bosses move in very simple patterns and are ludicrously easy. Death apparently lost all but one of his sickles, and since Medusa is incapable of reaching the right side of the screen, just pressing the “B” button repeated is enough to put her down. As if the weren’t enough, one of the subweapons restores your life completely, and once per life, you can freely activate a mode that makes you completely invincible for a minute or two (which is more than enough time to beat any boss in the game). Although the game has the word “Castlevania” in its title, everything about it, from the gameplay, t9 the graphics, to the music, is just off, and while it’s nort the worst the series has to offer, it’s not far from it. Accordingly, Castlevania Legends is an experience that i can really only recommend to collectors and completionists.