Games Beaten 2019

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
opa
128-bit

Re: Games Beaten 2019

Post by opa »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Great review, Opa. I’ve always been curious about that game, but now..nope!

I know I ranted a lot but I still had fun with it. As a Tolkien nerd I'm fine with it for the instant action mode but I am disappointed. I'm glad I waited for it to hit the bargain bin.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2019 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018
* indicates a repeat

1. Night Slashers (Switch)
2. Bye-Bye BOXBOY! (3DS)
3. GTA4: The Ballad of Gay Tony (Xbox 360)
4. Katamari Forever (PS3)
5. Detention (PS4)
6. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) *
7. OctoDad: Dadliest Catch (PS4) *
8. FlintHook (Switch)
9. God of War (PS4)
10. God of War HD (PS3)
11. Tiny Barbarian DX (Switch)
12. God of War 2 HD (PS3)
13. Starlink (Switch)
14. Shin Gundam Musou (PS3)
15. Battle & Get! Pokemon Typing DS (DS)
16. Banjo-Kazooie (N64) *
17. Super Mario 64: Rumble Edition (N64)
18. Mario Party 3 (N64) *
19. Paper Mario (N64) *
20. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) *
21. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC) *
22. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC) *
23. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (GBC) *
24. Yoshi's Island (SNES) *
25. Super Mario World (SNES) *
26. Super Mario RPG (SFC) *
27. Kaeru No Tame Ni Kane Wa Naru (GB)
28. Final Fantasy VI (SFC) *
29. Final Fantasy IV (SFC) *
30. Final Fantasy V (SFC)
31. Final Fantasy III (Famicom)

32. Mother 2 (SFC) *

After playing some games I'd never played before recently, I went back to playing games from my childhood (but in Japanese this time) with Mother 2! Earthbound was a game I played a TON growing up and always really loved. It's been a good few years since I played it last though, so I was excited to see the original version's text and get a new perspective on the overall quality of the game. It took me about 2 and a half days, so I'd reckon about 25 hours in total (I don't think the Wii U counts your play time for software like the Wii did?), and I didn't need to use a guide or anything because I just already knew my way through the game from how much I played it when I was little XD

So the story of Earthbound/Mother 2 is one that I've always felt is more the sum of its parts rather than the whole. The overall narrative is a story about how you are always ultimately your worst enemy, and that only by overcoming your inner reservations and inhibitions will you be able to become something larger than yourself. The four main characters of the story, Ness, Paula, Jeff, and Poo, are very light on characterization and have a very small amount of dialogue between them. Ness is definitely supposed to be a stand-in for the player character, but the whole party effectively plays this role with how little character they each have to them. However, there is SOME character there, and especially with how other characters talk to Ness, talk him up as this big figure of prophecy and this chosen child, and with how familiarly his friends and family talk to him, I don't think they do a very good job of making a "player avatar" character. Ness lies somewhere in-between a player avatar and a character of his own, and I believe this ultimately really undermines the "you're your own worst enemy" message for the player that the game ultimately has.

However, where Mother 2's writing really shines are in the myriad of vignettes that you encounter as you go through the story. So many colorful characters of roles both big and small, as bombastic as the silly (and VERY obviously Blues Brothers-inspired in the Japanese version) Runaway Five, to just simple NPC's walking around town with a quirky line to say. Mother 2 is packed with wacky and irreverent humor and charm that will turn of some, certainly, but will be very quickly endearing to others... at least in the first half. By the time you finish up Fourside, the story really gets bogged down in the overall plot of Ness being this chosen child, and the game's second half is far less interesting than the first. I remembered it being this way before I did this playthrough, and this replay reconfirmed that opinion. However, I will definitely add that the Japanese original does have a sense of humor and charm to it that the English version approaches but does not surpass. The only exception being enemy names, which are often quite dull in Japanese (the main wordplay around them often amounting to "it's an English word and/or an oddly specific description in Japanese") compared to the puns in English.

The gameplay of Mother 2 is really a pretty shameless copy of Dragon Quest, although there are MANY other beloved RPGs of this era, as with the 8-bit era, that that description can also be applied to. The way every character has their own inventory, each one fills a kind of specific role in a balance of different kinds of magic or special tool items, the first-person battle perspectives. The only truly remarkable innovation of the combat system is the way your health scrolls up and down instead of moving all at once, so a dying ally is actually in the process of dying (or healing), so can be saved with a heal before they actually get KO'd. Mother 2 is very much a sister game to Far East of Eden as far as its cultural memory goes: a DQ clone whose sense of humor and irreverent use of setting made it an enduring bit of culture among Japanese gamers.

Compared to something like FF6, another 1994 SFC RPG, the UI is honestly really fluid and brilliant, and Mother 2 is a fantastic first RPG for people new to the genre (something it succeeds at little better than Mario RPG, imo). This was the first time I'd played through the game really utilizing the L-button as a catch-all inspection and talking button and that is just SUCH a clever bit of design I can't get over it. Inventory management between party members can be a bit of a chore at times, but the menus move so quick that it really just goes as slowly as you'll make it go.

The game has some pacing and difficulty curve issues, with some bosses early in the game being very hard where most bosses are quite easy, and some later game areas like Magicant that force you to use only one party member yet again remind you just how not-fun having only one party member is just for the sake of a neat setting to explore. The game also has some points where the signposting just is not very good. I used to get stuck in Fourside ALL the time as a kid because there are just suddenly so many dialogue flags you need to trigger before plot elements can progress. Using the Hint Shop and just talking to everyone you see will get you past most of these, but not all. The game's signposting is about as good as it could be for 1994, but it's still rough enough in retrospect that it's worth mentioning here.

Verdict: Recommended. Mother 2/Earthbound is a game that a lot of people don't like, and I think that's a totally fair attitude to have towards the game. It has some pacing issues and the writing really doesn't carry the whole way through like it really needs to, so only the competent yet fairly bog-standard combat system is really there for a good portion of the game. There is little on the SNES like it, for sure, but I think a lot of this game's appeal lives and dies by its writing, and if you aren't captured within the first few hours/areas, chances are this is a game you're gonna have a hard time pushing through to the end on. It's a game that has a really unique and shining personality, especially among RPGs that made it to the West for that era, and there is a lot to enjoy if you're into what the game is delivering on.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2019!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. Power Stone 2 (SDC)
2. Radiata Stories (PS2)
3. Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball (NES)
***4. Saiyuki: Journey West (PS1)***
5. Shining In The Darkness (GEN)
***6. Metropolis Street Racer (SDC)***
7. Half-Life 2 (XBOX)
8. Soul Blazer (SNES)
9. Mario Party (N64)
10. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GCN)
11. Street Fighter Collection (PS1)
12. Pokemon Stadium 2 (N64)
13. Burnout (PS2)
14. Phantasy Star III (GEN)
15. Batman: The Video Game (NES)
16. X-Men Legends (XBOX)

***17. Final Fantasy VII (PS1)***

I completed Final Fantasy VII on the Sony Playstation this evening!

When I first played FF7, I thought it was rather over-hyped and did not enjoy much. Over the years, I've grown to understand its impact and enjoy the game for what it is. I still do not like the story and the controls are incredibly frustrating, but the Materia system, characters, music and tone really set the game apart. It may not be one of my favorite Final Fantasy game, but it is still better than most games and can stand on its own as a really good game.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

@Markies: I completely agree, FF7 is a great game but it definitely is over rated, while I really enjoyed the game I don't think it is the greatest of all time like so many say it is.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

FF7 is a fine game. Like most FF games, though, it isn’t as much fun as FF6 (or most of the DQ games).

First 25
1. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary (NDS)
2. Reigns (iOS)
3. Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)
4. Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge (GB)
5. Castlevania Legends (GB)
6. Yankai’s Triangle (iOS)
7. Mega Man III (GB)
8. Mega Man IV (GB)
9. Mega Man V (GB)
10. Sin & Punishment (N64)
11. Love You to Bits (iOS)
12. Mega Man Powered Up - Old Style (PSP)
13. Mega Man Powered Up - New Style (PSP)
14. Mario vs. Donkey Kong (GBA)
15. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis (NDS)
16. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! (NDS)
17. Detective Pikachu (3DS)
18. Super Fantasy Zone (Genesis)
19. Fantasy Zone Gear (GG)
20. Fantasy Zone - The Maze (SMS)
21. Fantasy Zone (Famicom)
22. Fantasy Zone (NES)
23. Kung Fu Master (2600)
24. Kid Dracula (Famicom)
25. Kid Dracula (GB)

26. Fantasy Zone (TG16)
27. Double Dragon V (SNES)
28. Fantasy Zone II (Famicom)
29. Street Fighter: The Movie (PS1)
30. Fire Fly (2600)
31. Pac Man (2600)
32. Extreme Sports with the Berenstain Bears (GBC)
33. Fantasy Zone (PS2)
34. Space Fantasy Zone (TG16)
35. Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf Fantasy Zone (Genesis)
36. Mega Man (GG)
37. Konami Pixel Puzzle (iOS)
38. Qix (Arcade/NES)
39. Congo Bongo (Arcade)
40. Phantasy Star Gaiden (GG)
41. Phantasy Star Adventure (GG)
42. Panzer Dragoon Mini (GG)
43. Spartan X-2 (Famicom)
44. BS The Legend of Zelda: The Ancient Stone Tablets (Super Famicom)
45. BS The Legend of Zelda (Super Famicom)
46. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem! (NDS)
47. Double Dribble (NES)

I beat the Boston Frogs and wrote more about it in the TR thread.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

1. Kung fu z (android)
2. Celeste
3. Dead Dungeon
4. Defender Faith
5. The Messenger
6. Eroico
7. Awesome Pea
8. Vosaria: lair of the forgotten
9. Vintage Hero
10. God of War (ps4)
11. Legendary Wings (nes)
12. Tiny Toobs Busters hidden treasure (genesis)
13. Johnny Rocket
14. Spider-man (ps4)
15. Ori and the blind forest
16. Rude bear resurrection
17. Shining Force (genesis)
18. Mega Man 5 (game boy)
19. Panzer Dragoon (saturn)
20. Shadow of the Tomb raider
21. The Painters apprentice
22. Tower 57
23. Dragons Lair (switch)
24. City of Heroes (openbor)
25. Callys Cave 4
26. Double Dragon (nes)
27. Duck Souls
28. Jumping joe and friends (switch)
29. Zombie Panic in Wonderland dx (switch)
30. Jackie Chans action kung fu (nes)
31. Strider X (openbor)
32. Daggerhood (switch)
33. Donkey Kong Country 2 (snes)
34. VOID
35. Ravva and the cyclops curse
36. Devil May Cry 5
37. Outrunner 3
38. Way of the passive fist
39. New Super mario bros deluxe(switch)
40. Mechstermination Force (switch)
41. Pewdipie: legend of the brofist
42. Robonauts (switch)
43. Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 (3ds)
44. Ikao: lost souls
45. Contra: spirit of war
46. Katana Zero
47. Pixel Devil and the broken cartridge
48. Fate of Nimi (android)
49. Mega Man Powered up (psp)
50. Riddled Corpses EX
51. Mike Tysons Punch Out (nes)
52. Mercenaries Saga: will of the while lions (switch)
53. Martial Masters: new Legend (openbor)
54. Battle Princess Madeline (switch)
55. Contra (nes)
56. Super Punch out (snes)
57. Mega Man 2 (nes)
58. Overdriven: reloaded (switch)
59. Mega Man 3(nes)
60. Bloodstained: curse of the moon
61. Slime adventure
62. Aggelos (switch)
63. Castlevania (nes)
64. New Super luigi dx /(switch)
65. Super Double Dragon (snes)
66. Super Castlevania 4 (snes)
67. Battletoads (nes)
68. Battletoads and double dragon (nes)
69. Necrolance
70. Oniken
71. Final Fight (snes)
72. Castlevania 3 (nes)
73. Streets of Rage 2 (genesis)
74. Ninja Gaiden (nes on switch)
75. Gunlord X (switch)
76. Mega Man 5 (nes)
77. Super Mario RPG (snes)
78. Castlevania empathy (nes hack)
79. Uncharted: lost legacy (ps4)
80. Guns, Gore, and cannoli 2
81. Double Dragon 2 (nes)
82. Punch out (wii)
83. Super Punch out (snes, 2nd time)
84. Blaster Master Zero 2 (switch)
85. God of War 2 (nes hack)
86. Jackquest: tale of the sword
87. Owyns adventure
88. Fight n Rage
89. Invasher
90. Wulverblade
91. Darkwing Duck -new levels (nes hack)
92. Randall
93. Mega Man 6 (nes)
94. Castlevania: Dracula X (snes)
95. TMNT: fall of the foot clan (game boy)
96. Blazing Chrome
97. Castlevania: Holy Relics (nes hack)
98. Phreds punch out 2 turbo (nes hack)
99. Batman: Dark Knight (nes hack)
100. Punch-out (arcade)
101. Super Punch-out (arcade)
102. Runner 3
103. Rad Rogers
104. Castlevania: Blood Moon (nes hack)
105. Thunder Kid
106. Superstar Mario World (snes hack)
107. TMNT: turtles in time (snes)
108. Mega Man 7 demake
109. Gunforce 2 (arcade)
110. Super C (nes)
111. Mega Man 4 (nes)
112. Damsel
113. Mega Man Eternal

113. Mega Man Eternal:

wrote more details in the fan game thread, but to summarize, it is a solid fan made mega man game, worth a try for fanatics, but should not be looked at until you play mm unlimited first.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

First 25
1. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary (NDS)
2. Reigns (iOS)
3. Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)
4. Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge (GB)
5. Castlevania Legends (GB)
6. Yankai’s Triangle (iOS)
7. Mega Man III (GB)
8. Mega Man IV (GB)
9. Mega Man V (GB)
10. Sin & Punishment (N64)
11. Love You to Bits (iOS)
12. Mega Man Powered Up - Old Style (PSP)
13. Mega Man Powered Up - New Style (PSP)
14. Mario vs. Donkey Kong (GBA)
15. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis (NDS)
16. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! (NDS)
17. Detective Pikachu (3DS)
18. Super Fantasy Zone (Genesis)
19. Fantasy Zone Gear (GG)
20. Fantasy Zone - The Maze (SMS)
21. Fantasy Zone (Famicom)
22. Fantasy Zone (NES)
23. Kung Fu Master (2600)
24. Kid Dracula (Famicom)
25. Kid Dracula (GB)

26. Fantasy Zone (TG16)
27. Double Dragon V (SNES)
28. Fantasy Zone II (Famicom)
29. Street Fighter: The Movie (PS1)
30. Fire Fly (2600)
31. Pac Man (2600)
32. Extreme Sports with the Berenstain Bears (GBC)
33. Fantasy Zone (PS2)
34. Space Fantasy Zone (TG16)
35. Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf Fantasy Zone (Genesis)
36. Mega Man (GG)
37. Konami Pixel Puzzle (iOS)
38. Qix (Arcade/NES)
39. Congo Bongo (Arcade)
40. Phantasy Star Gaiden (GG)
41. Phantasy Star Adventure (GG)
42. Panzer Dragoon Mini (GG)
43. Spartan X-2 (Famicom)
44. BS The Legend of Zelda: The Ancient Stone Tablets (Super Famicom)
45. BS The Legend of Zelda (Super Famicom)
46. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem! (NDS)
47. Double Dribble (NES)
48. Super Pro Football (INTV)
49. Indy 500 (2600)

Are you ready for some football?! This game rules, and I wrote more about it in this month’s TR thread.

Edit: Spent a couple of hours with Indy 500. It’s the grandfather of all racing games, and I wrote about it in the TR thread too.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Old school sports games are so much better than new sports games, I used to love stuff like blades of steel and baseball stars as a kid and now sports games just bore the crap out of me.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2019!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. Power Stone 2 (SDC)
2. Radiata Stories (PS2)
3. Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball (NES)
***4. Saiyuki: Journey West (PS1)***
5. Shining In The Darkness (GEN)
***6. Metropolis Street Racer (SDC)***
7. Half-Life 2 (XBOX)
8. Soul Blazer (SNES)
9. Mario Party (N64)
10. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GCN)
11. Street Fighter Collection (PS1)
12. Pokemon Stadium 2 (N64)
13. Burnout (PS2)
14. Phantasy Star III (GEN)
15. Batman: The Video Game (NES)
16. X-Men Legends (XBOX)
***17. Final Fantasy VII (PS1)***

18. Maximum Pool (SDC)

I beat Maximum Pool on the Sega DreamCast this evening!

Maximum Pool has been a staple of my life for several years now. A friend of mine get together every Saturday and either play Pinball together or play video games together. We have a staple of always starting the evening with Tetris and Dr. Mario followed by whatever sparks our interest for the evening. A few years ago, my friend picked up Maximum Pool for the Dreamcast and that became our game to play right after Tetris and Dr. Mario. Both games are usually laid back and its a great way for us to talk about the past week along with preparing ourselves for whatever big game that was coming up next. We would always play one style of pool, but the game had multiple styles of billiards available. So, since the game is incredibly cheap, I decided to pick it up for myself and try them out on my own. Since I needed a quick game to beat in my new house, I figured this would be a perfect opportunity for a relatively easy beat.

I have played several different types of Pool games in the past and they never felt quite right. I remember playing one on the Genesis and it felt like the balls were made out of concrete. When I started playing Maximum Pool, it really felt like I was playing Pool. The balls would jump off the table if you hit them too hard and they would bounce and interact with balls like they normally would and should. The game does offer some variety in the tables. With instructions for all the tables, it is very easy to pick up and learn the games.

Unfortunately, the game does not offer much to it. There is only a handful of tables with many of them being unlocked behind beating the Computer Characters at higher difficulty levels. Also, there is full motion video of the characters talking to you and that gets really old, really fast. Finally, some of the games made it very difficult for you to foul as the game complains to you of your mistake. With levels of frustration from missing a shot, this would only exacerbate the annoyance of the moment.

Overall, Maximum Pool is a solid and competent pool game. It offers a little variety to make you want to play it every now and then as it really satisfies that itch to play Pool as we live in a time period where Pool Halls are disappearing quite frequently. If you love a game of Billiards, then this game is worth the price.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

115. Battletoads/double dragon (nes)

This is the second time I played through this game this year but the first time I beat it this year I did so using the mega warp + 10 life code and I felt like going back and beating it legit, well at least somewhat legit, I did use the 5 life code but I think that code is necessary for both of the toads games.

For those of you unfamiliar, this game is far more battletoads than double dragon. Although lots of double dragon enemies are here, this game plays very similar to battletoads. One button punches one button jumps. You have a punch combo that ends in a big power move and an extremely useful running attack that should be spammed at all points in time. The combat is basically lifted out of battletoads, which is fine, but if you go in expecting a DD style beat em up you will be dissapointed. In this game you could play as all 3 toads and both dragons. The 3 toads play identically to each other, and the 2 dragons play the same as each other. Even though I enjoy the toads, the dragons are definitely superior, they have longer range on all their attacks and a jump kick which the toads lack. Asthetically, I prefer the toads big feet and fists, but it does make the game slightly easier if you play as a dragon.

Note: slightly easier, remember this is a battletoads game, and as such it is very difficult. Like the original toads the level variety in this game is varied, but there is definitely more emphasis on beat em up style gameplay, which is good. In the original toads you had tons of levels which were virtually all gimmicks and very little combat, in this game there is loads of combat on every stage and other modes of play mixed in. So for example, in this game rather than have an entire level of rappeling down a rope, those rope sections are interspersed in a longer level with fighting and other obstacles.

This game is also shorter than battletoads, there are 7 levels. The first is a straight beat em up, 2nd is fighting and a speeder bike level, 3rd mixes a few different climbing sections, platforms, and other rope swinging, the 4th is a weird asteroids style schmup, the 5th is mostly straightforward with a bunch of obstacles that need to be avoided thrown into the mix. The last 2 levels are a bit dissapointing, they are both very short, very straightforward, and end in an obscenely difficult boss fight.

Overall, I would recommend this game. If you enjoyed the original battletoads but were turned off by the insane difficulty and the constantly switching playstyles then you are likely to enjoy this game. It is tough, but it is much easier than battletoads and requires much less memorization.