Games Beaten 2019

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2019

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

First 50
1. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary (NDS)
2. Reigns (iOS)
3. Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)
4. Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge (GB)
5. Castlevania Legends (GB)
6. Yankai’s Triangle (iOS)
7. Mega Man III (GB)
8. Mega Man IV (GB)
9. Mega Man V (GB)
10. Sin & Punishment (N64)
11. Love You to Bits (iOS)
12. Mega Man Powered Up - Old Style (PSP)
13. Mega Man Powered Up - New Style (PSP)
14. Mario vs. Donkey Kong (GBA)
15. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis (NDS)
16. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! (NDS)
17. Detective Pikachu (3DS)
18. Super Fantasy Zone (Genesis)
19. Fantasy Zone Gear (GG)
20. Fantasy Zone - The Maze (SMS)
21. Fantasy Zone (Famicom)
22. Fantasy Zone (NES)
23. Kung Fu Master (2600)
24. Kid Dracula (Famicom)
25. Kid Dracula (GB)
26. Fantasy Zone (TG16)
27. Double Dragon V (SNES)
28. Fantasy Zone II (Famicom)
29. Street Fighter: The Movie (PS1)
30. Fire Fly (2600)
31. Pac Man (2600)
32. Extreme Sports with the Berenstain Bears (GBC)
33. Fantasy Zone (PS2)
34. Space Fantasy Zone (TG16)
35. Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf Fantasy Zone (Genesis)
36. Mega Man (GG)
37. Konami Pixel Puzzle (iOS)
38. Qix (Arcade/NES)
39. Congo Bongo (Arcade)
40. Phantasy Star Gaiden (GG)
41. Phantasy Star Adventure (GG)
42. Panzer Dragoon Mini (GG)
43. Spartan X-2 (Famicom)
44. BS The Legend of Zelda: The Ancient Stone Tablets (Super Famicom)
45. BS The Legend of Zelda (Super Famicom)
46. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem! (NDS)
47. Double Dribble (NES)
48. Super Pro Football (INTV)
49. Indy 500 (2600)
50. Tecmo Bowl (NES)

51. Ninja Gaiden (GG)
52. SonSon (Arcade)
53. Wonder Girl: The Dragon’s Trap (iOS)
54. Minit (iOS)

Minit is an addictive little indie adventure game I decided to try out this evening...and ended up beating in a 90 minute marathon session. :lol: It plays a lot like a classic Zelda game - it reminded me most of Link’s Awakening - but with more emphasis on exploration and, awesome last boss notwithstanding, less emphasis on combat. The gimmick, however, is that you only have 60 seconds to make any progress in the game. When time runs out, you die and are returned to your starting position. Like Majora’s mask, however, you “keep” any items acquired during your previous runs; so, you quickly progress through the game...in sixty-second increments. This may sound frustrating, but it enhances the gameplay immensely. You have to explore the map to locate shortcuts, and the gameplay fluctuates beautifully between exploring to find your next goal and working frantically to achieve it in 60 seconds. There are lots of hidden items, and the game is overflowing with personality. (The NPCs’ dialogue changes after you hit them with your sword or splash them with water.) Like Downwell, it has distinctive, highly detailed monochrome visuals, and a pretty great soundtrack too. Nonetheless, the game IS pretty short, but this means that it never overstays it’s welcome. I enjoyed it tremendously, and I highly recommend it (especially if you can get it on sale).
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2019!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. Power Stone 2 (SDC)
2. Radiata Stories (PS2)
3. Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball (NES)
***4. Saiyuki: Journey West (PS1)***
5. Shining In The Darkness (GEN)
***6. Metropolis Street Racer (SDC)***
7. Half-Life 2 (XBOX)
8. Soul Blazer (SNES)
9. Mario Party (N64)
10. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GCN)
11. Street Fighter Collection (PS1)
12. Pokemon Stadium 2 (N64)
13. Burnout (PS2)
14. Phantasy Star III (GEN)
15. Batman: The Video Game (NES)
16. X-Men Legends (XBOX)
***17. Final Fantasy VII (PS1)***
18. Maximum Pool (SDC)

19. Puzzle Quest (PS2)

I beat Puzzle Quest on the Sony Playstation 2 this evening!

Even though I don't play them anymore, I absolutely love the quick little flash games that you find online. I would waste so many hours playing those games when I should have been studying or working. I always preferred the puzzle based ones as they were slower in pace and didn't cause too much of a distraction, but just enough to keep my mind fresh throughout the day. One of my favorites was Bejeweled, the three match game that has been copied so many times. When I saw that somebody had turned Bejeweled into a RPG, I was immediately sold and picked up the game for relatively cheap. It sat on my shelf for years until I moved into my first house. It was the perfect game to pick up and play while I unpacked and settled into my new home.

Besides Bejeweled, Puzzle Quest also takes inspiration from Final Fantasy Tactics and Magic: The Gathering. The overworld looks exactly like Final Fantasy Tactics and you even run into random monsters in the same fashion. You discover new towns with new shops and when you level up, your skills improve and you gain new magic spells. The Bejeweled like game that you do battle in has Mana Gems that you match to gain Mana. Once you have gathered enough Mana, you can cast your spell to do damage, help yourself out or screw with the board. Also, for a game focused on Bejeweled, the story is actually really interesting. The characters are highly unique, the quests are different and the story had enough twists to keep me interested.

The gripes I had about the game are really minor. The constant battling of Bejeweled does wear thin especially since the game is close to 40 hours long. It's great in short spurts, but I can see it getting tiresome after a while. Also, the game cheats and you have to accept that. You have to understand that you will loose. Nothing bad happens, but it will happen. Magic combos fall from the sky for you and the computer, so it all evens out. But, sometimes, it falls in the favor of the enemy.

Overall, I surprisingly enjoyed myself with the game. I played it way past my stopping time on most nights and I would think about the game even after playing it. The game was released on the DS and PSP as it is a perfect handheld game. Whatever platform you choose, if you like Bejeweled, but want some more meat to it, this is a perfect and fun little game.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Puzzle Quest is one of my FAVORITES. I still own my DS copy I got so many years ago. I must've beaten it at least 4 times. I definitely agree that it's a better handheld game though. Sitting down to play a crapton of Bejeweled on a non-touchscreen interface sounds like it would slowly drain you life essence after a certain period :lol:

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, Markies :D
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

I have played every X game except 8 (including 7). I just don't get into the series nearly as much as the original, I annually replay every mainline mega man game but I just am not interested in replaying the x series. I think all the backtracking just annoys me. I am also replaying mega man 11 currently and remembering how amazing that game is.

Beat a lot of games over the past 2 days.

134. Ikeda: the scrap hunter EP
135. Ghost sweeper Mikami (snes)
136. Go Go Ackman 3 (snes)
137. C: Contra adventure (ps1)
138. Double Dragon 4
139. Super Mario 2(nes)
140. Contra (nes)
141. TMNT (arcade)

134: Ikeda is a 2d precision platformer, it is free on steam, pretty short, but has tight controls and is well worth your time, especially given the fact that its free

135 and 136: these are pretty standard SNES platformers, both were only for the super famicom as I'm assuming they are based on some kind of anime, I know ghost sweeper mikami is but I never heard of go go ackman. Both games have a decent amount of cutscenes but there is no language patch so you won't get the full story but thats ok. The games are standard platformers with nice SNES graphics. Both are obscure and fun to play, both are also on the easy side featuring unlimited continues. Ackman is a bit harder but neither of these games will test your mettle.

137. I finally played it, this is a game I have been meaning to play through forever.

The first level is pretty fun, it is a side scroller and plays like you want contra to play with buttons for jumping, swtiching weapons, shooting, aiming, and bombing. I honestly always wanted to give this game a chance because the first level is actually really cool and if the whole game were like this I would argue it would have a strong reputation, it still wouldn't be as legendary as the other games in the series but it would probably be looked at as a solid, if not slightly underwhelming entry.

After you beat the first level, the next level is a 3rd person shooter, it has a shitty camera and a wonky aiming system. The issue is that every single level in the game is a 3rd person shooter except the last one, talk about a bait and switch. If there were a few of these levels mixed with standard 2d fare I would have enjoyed the game so much more. As it stands these levels are not great, but they are not as bad as I thought they would be.

You kind of get used to the wonky aiming and poor camera as you play, and to be totally honest the game is not as bad as I thought it would be. Do I recommend it? No, there are definitely better ways to spend your time but if you are in love with contra and want to check it out as a novelty its not the worst game I ever played.

138-141 ( plus punch out wii)

Yesterday was a pretty huge day for me, I had a huge interview at 615pm and pretty much spent the entire day in a state of nervous anxiety, slowly waiting for the clock to tick down to the interview. To try and ease that burden I played games that were safe and reliable, games I just know I could enjoy

These games are comfort food for me, especially contra. I also began replaying mega man 11 and played a bunch of wii punch out for stress relief. I have been playing wii punch out all summer on and off because I love it and am now at the point where I could beat every boxer in title defense mode without breaking a sweat, except for bald bull who is still virtually impossible.

A day of games like this put me in a pretty solid mood and when my interview finally did come I performed well and I got a job offer as a high school principal, which is beyond exciting for me.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

pook99 wrote:I have played every X game except 8 (including 7). I just don't get into the series nearly as much as the original, I annually replay every mainline mega man game but I just am not interested in replaying the x series. I think all the backtracking just annoys me. I am also replaying mega man 11 currently and remembering how amazing that game is.

Beat a lot of games over the past 2 days.

134. Ikeda: the scrap hunter EP
135. Ghost sweeper Mikami (snes)
136. Go Go Ackman 3 (snes)
137. C: Contra adventure (ps1)
138. Double Dragon 4
139. Super Mario 2(nes)
140. Contra (nes)
141. TMNT (arcade)

134: Ikeda is a 2d precision platformer, it is free on steam, pretty short, but has tight controls and is well worth your time, especially given the fact that its free

135 and 136: these are pretty standard SNES platformers, both were only for the super famicom as I'm assuming they are based on some kind of anime, I know ghost sweeper mikami is but I never heard of go go ackman. Both games have a decent amount of cutscenes but there is no language patch so you won't get the full story but thats ok. The games are standard platformers with nice SNES graphics. Both are obscure and fun to play, both are also on the easy side featuring unlimited continues. Ackman is a bit harder but neither of these games will test your mettle.

137. I finally played it, this is a game I have been meaning to play through forever.

The first level is pretty fun, it is a side scroller and plays like you want contra to play with buttons for jumping, swtiching weapons, shooting, aiming, and bombing. I honestly always wanted to give this game a chance because the first level is actually really cool and if the whole game were like this I would argue it would have a strong reputation, it still wouldn't be as legendary as the other games in the series but it would probably be looked at as a solid, if not slightly underwhelming entry.

After you beat the first level, the next level is a 3rd person shooter, it has a shitty camera and a wonky aiming system. The issue is that every single level in the game is a 3rd person shooter except the last one, talk about a bait and switch. If there were a few of these levels mixed with standard 2d fare I would have enjoyed the game so much more. As it stands these levels are not great, but they are not as bad as I thought they would be.

You kind of get used to the wonky aiming and poor camera as you play, and to be totally honest the game is not as bad as I thought it would be. Do I recommend it? No, there are definitely better ways to spend your time but if you are in love with contra and want to check it out as a novelty its not the worst game I ever played.

138-141 ( plus punch out wii)

Yesterday was a pretty huge day for me, I had a huge interview at 615pm and pretty much spent the entire day in a state of nervous anxiety, slowly waiting for the clock to tick down to the interview. To try and ease that burden I played games that were safe and reliable, games I just know I could enjoy

These games are comfort food for me, especially contra. I also began replaying mega man 11 and played a bunch of wii punch out for stress relief. I have been playing wii punch out all summer on and off because I love it and am now at the point where I could beat every boxer in title defense mode without breaking a sweat, except for bald bull who is still virtually impossible.

A day of games like this put me in a pretty solid mood and when my interview finally did come I performed well and I got a job offer as a high school principal, which is beyond exciting for me.

Congrats, pook! That’s great news.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Hey, congrats on nabbing a job! Less time for games though, I'll tell you that.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2019 So Far - 49
* denotes a replay

January (12 Games Beaten)
1. Army Men 3D - PlayStation - January 1*
2. Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished - NES - January 4
3. Mega Man - NES - January 6
4. Mega Man 2 - NES - January 6
5. Mega Man 3 - NES - January 6
6. Mega Man 4 - NES - January 7
7. Dr. Discord's Conquest - NES - January 7
8. Mega Man 5 - NES - January 26
9. Just Cause 3 - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. Mega Man 6 - NES - January 27
11. Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight - Vita - January 27
12. Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space - PlayStation 2 - January 27

February (2 Games Beaten)
13. Earth Defense Force 5 - PlayStation 4 - February 2
14. Fallout 76 - PlayStation 4 - February 3

March (4 Games Beaten)
15. Octopath Traveler - Switch - March 2
16. Resident Evil 0 - PlayStation 4 - March 9
17. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered - PlayStation 4 - March 10
18. Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade - Game Boy Advance - March 30

April (3 Games Beaten)
19. Moemon - Game Boy Advance - April 5
20. Yoshi's Crafted World - Switch - April 10
21. Wargroove - Switch - April 26

May (8 Games Beaten)
22. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Switch - May 5
23. Battlefield V - PlayStation 4 - May 9
24. Timespinner - PlayStation 4 - May 12
25. Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain - PlayStation 4 - May 17
26. Shenmue - PlayStation 4 - May 19
27. Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht - PlayStation 2 - May 26
28. Team Sonic Racing - Switch - May 29
29. Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Böse - PlayStation 2 - May 30

June (5 Games Beaten)
30. Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprache Zarathustra - PlayStation 2 - June 2
31. Gato Roboto - Switch - June 3
32. Katana Zero - Switch - June 4
33. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct - Wii U - June 8
34. Dark Savior - Saturn - June 12

July (12 Games Beaten)
35. The Elder Scrolls V: Skryim - Switch - June 7
36. The Elder Scrolls V: Skryim: Dragonborn - Switch - June 7
37. The Elder Scrolls V: Skryim: Dawnguard - Switch - June 7
38. Tiny Troopers - Switch - July 8
39. Tiny Troopers 2: Special Ops - Switch - July 8
40. Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth - 3DS - July 10
41. Super Robot Wars T - Switch - July 13
42. Super Mario Maker 2 - Switch - July 13
43. Command and Conquer - Saturn - July 16
44. Command and Conquer: Covert Operations - PC - July 16
45. Super Neptunia RPG - PlayStation 4 - July 18
46. My Girlfriend is a Mermaid!? - Switch - July 19

August (3 Games Beaten)
47. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Switch - August 10
48. Wolfenstein Youngblood - Xbox One - August 24
49. Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem - DS - August 27

49. Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem - DS - August 27

Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem is a remake of the second half of the SNES game, Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem, which itself was a combined remake and sequel to the original Fire Emblem on NES. It's a companion game of sorts to Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon on DS as Shadow Dragon remade the events of the original and the first half of Mystery of the Emblem whereas this game remade the events of Mystery that took place after the events of the first game. To give a little more incentive to buy this game, though, it also bundles the four maps from the Satellaview streaming exclusive BS Fire Emblem: Archanean War Chronicles which aren't (legitimately) playable any longer outside of this DS release.

The story picks up where Shadow Dragon left off. The Dark Pontiff Gharnef has been defeated and evil shadow dragon has been banished from this world. A new threat has emerged, however, as Hardin, the new emperor of the mighty Archanean Empire, has begun to act extremely out of character, ruling his realm with an iron fist and mercilessly crushing any dissent. It quickly becomes apparent that while the shadow dragon's body was defeated, the evil of its soul continues to persist, casting a new cloud of darkness over the continent. It once again falls to Marth to muster his allies and face down this evil with swords, magic, and waifus.

The most significant change to the Fire Emblem formula that New Mystery of the Emblem introduced was the addition of Casual Mode. To some folks, this forever ruined Fire Emblem by making it approachable to casual players, but I disagree. I would call Casual Mode the single most significant addition to the series since the weapon triangle for that very reason - it makes accessible to less skilled or less patient players an incredible series. For that, I have a lot of respect for Mystery of the Emblem. The character portraits and battle sprites look absolutely fantastic for the DS. The DS was perfectly capable of decent looking 3D games, but New Mystery of the Emblem perfectly demonstrates how exceptional the DS is as a 2D system.

Everything about New Mystery of the Emblem has been streamlined since the SNES game it remakes. The menu system between battles is simple and intuitive, the conversations between characters that flesh out their characters have been expanded to show more of their personalities and interactions with one another, and the control in battle is simple to use and free of any waste. The screens are perfectly used to keep the focus on the action. The bottom screen always displays the battlefield while the top screen can be used to display either unit formation (hit points, items, etc) or a mini-map with the force strength of each side.

Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem is everything a classic Fire Emblem game should be. It takes everything that made Shadow Dragon great and improves it, and it takes most of the flaws Shadow Dragon had and fixes them. It's a shame that this game never saw a Western release, but fortunately, an excellent fan translation exists if you can find a working ROM and a good DS emulator (or, like I did, load the patched ROM onto a micro SD card and play it on a real DS with an R4 card). The inclusion of the BS Fire Emblem maps are my favorite "extra" from any Fire Emblem game just because how difficult it is to find a working ROM of those maps in general let alone a ROM patched into English. For Fire Emblem fans, this game is an absolute must even if you have to use some dubious means to play it in English.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem is a remake of the second half of the SNES game, Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem, which itself was a combined remake and sequel to the original Fire Emblem on NES. It's a companion game of sorts to Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon on DS as Shadow Dragon remade the events of the original and the first half of Mystery of the Emblem whereas this game remade the events of Mystery that took place after the events of the first game.

I read this several times and I don't get it.

But Fire Emblem games rule.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

noiseredux wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem is a remake of the second half of the SNES game, Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem, which itself was a combined remake and sequel to the original Fire Emblem on NES. It's a companion game of sorts to Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon on DS as Shadow Dragon remade the events of the original and the first half of Mystery of the Emblem whereas this game remade the events of Mystery that took place after the events of the first game.

I read this several times and I don't get it.

But Fire Emblem games rule.

Fire Emblem 1 on Famicom is just one game.

Fire Emblem 3 on Super Famicom is 50% a remake of Fire Emblem 1, and 50% a sequel to Fire Emblem 1. The first half is all levels from Fire Emblem 1, and the second half is all new levels.

Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon on DS is a remake of Fire Emblem 1 on Famicom. It is all remakes of the maps from Fire Emblem 1.

Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem on DS is a remake of Fire Emblem 3, but only the second half. It includes no maps from Fire Emblem 1, but all the maps from the second half of Fire Emblem 3. It also contains the satellaview game levels, which used characters and places from Fire Emblem 3.
Last edited by alienjesus on Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem is a remake of the second half of the SNES game, Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem, which itself was a combined remake and sequel to the original Fire Emblem on NES. It's a companion game of sorts to Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon on DS as Shadow Dragon remade the events of the original and the first half of Mystery of the Emblem whereas this game remade the events of Mystery that took place after the events of the first game. To give a little more incentive to buy this game, though, it also bundles the four maps from the Satellaview streaming exclusive BS Fire Emblem: Archanean War Chronicles which aren't (legitimately) playable any longer outside of this DS release.

This is why I stick to Shining Force.